Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,208 Posts
I'd have to say modern since they look great, go fast, comfortable and safe.
The classics are beautiful but after you drive one there is no comparison.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,876 Posts
Yeah, as an owner of nearly 20 classic cars in my life, I prefer modern muscle for daily transportation and classics for auto shows and museums more and more...

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,876 Posts
Plus the latest versions of our modern muscle cars are much more safe and more refined, -with the added benefits of creature comforts to boot!!! Only a sissy man would want creature comforts in a muscle car!!! Nah!!!! :)))

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I have both. The 09 RT and a 71 Convertable. My dad got it new in 71. I now have it. Its a 72,000 orig miles, 383cu motor auto, with air, power windows, pretty much loaded.
Mine is much faster, brakes shorter, handles no compairson. But the convertable is really really cool, tuff looking car.

Its a tuff choice for me. Id say mine the 09 RT for all the reasons.
FlatTop

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 1970 Cuda 440 air, cruise, leather, power steering, power brakes, overhead console with urethane front bumper and AAR spoiler package. Love that car but my supercharged 09 Hurst Edition Challenger is a driver 25 mpg on the highway. SHOW THE VINTAGE DRIVE THE MODERN !!!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Same here. Had a 318 '69 Charger for 10 years ('90-'00) Loved that car. Drove it almost every day. Never thought I would say this but I love my Challenger much more for all the reasons already mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
I prefer the modern for daily driving, mostly for the hassle free experience of not keeping a 40+ year old car on the road daily. I must admit that after driving the original muscle cars, sometimes I feel more like a pilot in the modern version than a driver - until I turn off the nannies.

It is funny though that we drove the original muscle cars whenever, wherever we wanted, enjoyed every second of it and never thought about the poor handling, poor braking and lack of safety features that we all seem to require today.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Both. If I want to drive a real car, I drive a classic. If I just want to drive and not experience any drama, I'll drive my SRT. None of your modern muscle cars would even exist though if it weren't for the reputation of the classics.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The new muscle is so much more,and in stock trim in most cases faster,as well as there depreciation rate.Most people drive them for a couple of years and trade for another,so it's not true love,I plan on keeping mine,like all my cars.Would I sell my 1970 Rt to Keep the SRT,absolutely not.So i guess that sums it up.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Modern Muscle or restomodded classic. There's just so many nice perks to the newer cars that they are much easier to live with on a daily basis. Whether it be fuel injection, having more than 3 or 4 gears, AC in the summer, or the daily battle with 40+ year old parts. I like the lines in the classics more but the convenience wins out for me.

The one major advantage I'll give the older cars was the ease of working on them if you wanted to change a water pump or change a manifold it was much easier to get to on the older cars.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Vintage muscle is where it's at but modern muscle is fantastic. I will say that I really enjoy my modern muscle car but I would gladly trade it for a '71 Hemi Cuda or perhaps a restored and built '77-'78 SE Trans Am (a good one is going for 45k!). I look at driving my vintage car the same way someone who rides a Harley on the weekends does their bike. When I want muscle with soul, I drive my '66 GT. When I want comfortable performance as a daily driver, I take out my R/T. Both serve a purpose.

·
Registered
864 Posts
A NICE vintage all the way. My '12 R/T is really neat, but too "refined" to really be a thriller to drive. Nothing like the brutal sound & feel of a neat old Mopar. I love the E-bodies (still own 2 of them) & when they are new feeling, nothing beats the sound, smell, ride, & feel of one of them. When my AAR is finished, it will be like new in every regard. It will be tight, loud, & fast.

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
OP great question having a 1970 T/A Challenger for the last 30 years, my new 2013 PCP SRT8 Challenger is equally fun to drive, but as others have mentioned keeping classic's road worthy is exhausting and a PIA, that said my perference would be Modern Muscle, but ill never part ways with my T/A

Attachments

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I actually thought about buying a restored muscle car instead,because I really don't mind driving them,thats what my daily drivers were for the first 20 driving years.I didn't find them hard to maintain,and if something needed to be fixed,I could diagnose,and repair myself.With headers,flows,and a big cam I don't even need a radio,the sound of a healthy big block is like the Angels music.The reason I didn't is in good conscience,I couldn't put a restored classic to the use and abuse of daily driving.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts