Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't able to find a good tutorial the change out the back seat lighting, so I figured I'd go ahead and throw in the steps while I show you what I did tonight. I am shooting for a red ambient glow in the car, as well as from the overheads when it is all done (in the pictures the overheads are still stock lighting). I talked through what I did for the underseat glow in a thread yesterday, but I didn't take any pictures. Today I did. I am working on a 2010 SE. Here's one option for changing out that back seat lighting!

Step 1: Supplies.
(PICTURE 1)
"Flex LED" light strip from Autozone: $25
Wire strippers
Assorted tape
Scissors
Soldering iron/connecting material
Screwdriver
Light source
Yuengling

Step 2: Remove seat back.
Find the two phillips head screws at the bottom of the seat back and take them out. Once these are gone, run your hand up the inside of the seat back and pull where you feel the connectors. They are not plastic and they will not break if you give it a good tug. This should disconnect the seat back from the seat. Disconnect the wire at the small grey connector by pressing on the clip and seperating them. Now you can do the rest of the work outside of the car.

Step 3: Remove stock LEDs:
I just cut off the LED unit with plenty of wire to spare. I was left with the long piece that travels up the back of the seat and the connector. You will use this to attach your new LEDs.

Step 4: Build new LED light
You can cut off pieces of the strip, mine was a minimum of 3 LEDs per cut, but that varies. I cut a 3 LED strip and wired in two leads. Follow the instructions on the box to figure out how to do this. It's a pain in the butt to figure it out the first time, but it didn't take me too long. After I connected the wires I put some shrinkies on it (PICTURE 2). Make sure you test the LED strip every time you change something!

Step 5: Adjust new LED
There is plastic built up around the light port that you will have to remove since your new LED strip isn't the same size as the stock casing. To do this I just cut a slot big enough for my LED strip. You can do this using a dremel or a knife. I cut at an angle so the plastic still held the strip in place. Make sure you look at it through the hole so that the LEDs are lined up evenly. This took trial and error multiple times. Once I was satisfied I put some double sided tape to hold it on and made my final adjustments. (PICTURE 3)

Attach the wires one last time to the tester to make sure it works! (PICTURE 4)

Step 6: Attach to stock wiring
I covered the top part in duct tape, just to make sure that gravity doesn't eventually put too much strain on the connections going into the LED strip. It looks ugly, but who's going to see it? I then stripped and spliced the stock wiring onto my LED strip and used heat shrinkies over the connected. You are pretty much done. (PICTURE 5)

Attachments

Reactions: coreyhoel

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step 7: Reassembly
Take the seat cover back to your car. When I took it back I turned the interior lights on and reattached the stock connector and...lights turned on!

Check your lights to make sure all is right and then reattach the seatback by sliding it upwards and then pressing in on it hard at each attachment point. Finish by reinserting the bottom two screws. You should be done...now repeat for the second seat! (PICTURE 6) (PICTURE 7) (PICTURE 8)

Step 8: Yuengling

Attachments

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Damn that's cool

·
Registered
116 Posts
thanks doing this tomorrow with blue leds i have blue ones overhead. this is going to look great

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Nice job bro looks great!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Very nice. Something i have been looking into for sometime.

My only issue is if it's legal. Like can cops pull you over if they are on while driving.

Did you look into this at all?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice. Something i have been looking into for sometime.

My only issue is if it's legal. Like can cops pull you over if they are on while driving.

Did you look into this at all?
It depends specifically on your state, but as long as the light doesnt pulse or flash and isnt pointed outside the car I havent found anything that would make it illegal. Some new fords come with changeable interior accent lighting too, which would also make me think that lawyers with larger brains and bigger wallets have also given it the ok.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've been told before that simply driving with your dome light on can warrant a pull over. One of them stupid things like a air freshener on the rear view or your radar on your windshield with suction cups instead of Velcroed to the dash IN THE SAME EXACT SPOT!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice and thanks for the right up !
Forgot to mention that some states specifically prohibit bluenof any kind on the car...but it depends on the state and how mad you made that cop.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been told before that simply driving with your dome light on can warrant a pull over. One of them stupid things like a air freshener on the rear view or your radar on your windshield with suction cups instead of Velcroed to the dash IN THE SAME EXACT SPOT!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
...you worry too much.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Lol. You don't know my town. The cops have nothing better to do then follow bright red sports cars and write tickets. It's how my town makes money.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

X2 this was just the other day, sitting in a parking lot getting staked out by two cops.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Police in my town constantly follow me but give up after awhile because I pretty much always drive normal.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,141 Posts
Excellent write up, and the correct beer choice.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
X2 this was just the other day, sitting in a parking lot getting staked out by two cops.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Police in my town constantly follow me but give up after awhile because I pretty much always drive normal.
Yea. They run me and see I'm 31 and only had 2 tickets my entire life. A decade apart then they give up

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

1 - 20 of 22 Posts