Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the forum and wanted to get some thoughts on the topic. I have a 2018 R/T with the 5.7L engine and have done no modifications at this time. The lease is coming up in December and since the miles are so low, I'm thinking about keeping it. Problem is, the wife wants more power than the 385HP this puts out. I don't want to spend for the Hellcat, but was thinking about some ideas to improve performance/power instead of buying a new one.

Like I said, this is my first post and if there is a good place to look on the site, please let me know. I used to run a Focus ST and did a few mods, so I have the basics but not for this platform.

Really appreciate any help or thoughts.

Barry

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
Go straight to a blower and don't look back imo

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Scat ALL day long !!

Went Charger and LOVE it !! Just go drive please, it will make say screw a 5.7 for LIFE !! LOL

The stall converter is insane on these Scats !!!!

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the forum and wanted to get some thoughts on the topic. I have a 2018 RT with the 5.7L engine and have done no modifications at this time. The lease is coming up in December and since the miles are so low, I'm thinking about keeping it. Problem is, the wife wants more power than the 385HP this puts out. I dont want to spend for the Hellcat but was thinking about some ideas to improve performance/power instead of buying a new one.

Like I said, this is my first post and if there is a good place to look on the site, please let me know. I used to run a FocusST and did a few mods, so I have the basics but not for this platfom.

Really appreciate any help or thoughts.

Barry
Oh boy, did you open a can of worms!
First, Welcome to the Forum from Alabama.
Second, Sell (or turn in as lease allows). Buy a Scat Pack. I just did and if it weren't for the $ and track handling would have gone with a Hellcat. You're wife is telling you right. IMO. Go with the factory power. Probably more economical and fewer headaches!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scat ALL day long !!

Went Charger and LOVE it !! Just go drive please, it will make say screw a 5.7 for LIFE !! LOL

The stall converter is insane on these Scats !!!!
Definitely plan to test drive the Scat before I make a decision. What is a stall converter if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
First thing is i own a 19 Ram Rebel with SAME trans sort of. When U put them in gear, Ram pulls making U hold the brake when in gear. The Charger slips like crazy when in gear, hence the term stalling. Take some getting used to..........

Better English folks will chime in if my babbles makes no sense...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you run a search on similar threads, you will notice that the prevailing answer is to trade up. I am only lightly modified at the moment, but the primary reason I did not trade up was my color not being available currently. I also like working on the car, so there's that as well. Still waiting for MY22 colors to be announced before pulling the trigger on a blower. Assuming you are in CA, one note is that not all blowers have a CARB EO for your model year (Magnusson is only 2011-2016), so good to do research on that if CARB compliance matters to you.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Before you turn in your lease car, find out what it's worth on the open market. Check Carmax, and other car buying services. You may be able to come out ahead on the residual value. You do not have to return the car to the dealer, you can pay them off. Car buyers are offering crazy $ for used cars these days. Also, go 392 and don't look back!

·
Registered
355 Posts
No body needs more power especially for street driving. It makes no sense to move up to a Scat Pack to have more power. Yes the Scat pack is faster more powerful than the R/T by a lot but it's really not usable on the street unless you want to spend time behind bars, get into a serious car accident , have everyone want to race you all the time. Spin the tires at will and question if any tire will ever hook, I can go on and on about the Scat Pack as I own one.

The R/T you should buy it. Lease ending prices are lower than current market value. I think this is the way to go.

If you want your wife to feel like it has more power, get a CAI system by JLT. You will get a few HP over stock , and it will sound better. It runs a few degrees cooler than the stock setup. Your exhaust growl will also change to a deeper tone, It's really nice. And it won't void your warranty.

Does your wife go to the drag Strip? The R/T would be a ton of fun to take there and have a blast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She wants to take it to the drag strip and also to the track, but hasnt yet. I want to put her in a racing school before she does (they offer a day class out here just north of Los Angeles).

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,901 Posts
Welcome.

Ask yourself these questions.

Do you like wrenching, are you set up with tools and a shop, do you have the time to do these mods, can you go without this car while it's torn down, and are you willing to "own" what may or may not go wrong in the process?

You'll know which direction to go. Building up one is fun and rewarding. However modding isn't cheap on Hemis.

Best of luck deciding. I get grins every time I fire up my SP. 5 1/2 years and still loving it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before you turn in your lease car, find out what it's worth on the open market. Check Carmax, and other car buying services. You may be able to come out ahead on the residual value. You do not have to return the car to the dealer, you can pay them off. Car buyers are offering crazy $ for used cars these days. Also, go 392 and don't look back!
Yeah, def
Welcome.

Ask yourself these questions.

Do you like wrenching, are you set up with tools and a shop, do you have the time to do these mods, can you go without this car while it's torn down, and are you willing to "own" what may or may not go wrong in the process?

You'll know which direction to go. Building up one is fun and rewarding. However modding isn't cheap on Hemis.

Best of luck deciding. I get grins every time I fire up my SP. 5 1/2 years and still loving it.
I do like wrenching and have enough tools to get the job done. I worked on my ST and now on my Wrangler (I actually enjoy it, as I sit at a desk all day long) lol. And yeah, we can be without a car for a bit...car is almost three years old and only has 11K on it. :)

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Great advice in post #11 and #13.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
590 Posts
Trade up. Horsepower is so cheap from the factory, it doesn't make sense to do anything else unless you're in love with the one you have and don't want to part with it.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
You can do a supercharger & dyno tuning for about 8k if you install it maybe a little less but I included thicker radiator and upped to dual fans and a factory oil cooler. Did it all myself. If you have the 2.65 gears upping to the 3.06 is a nice enhancement.
Or just trade up to the SP.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few with the opposing opinion...here's a few options if you wanna mod it-
392 cam swap-very cheap, and VERY good gains. Drives like stock and doesn't hurt fuel economy at all. Expect 30whp
Supercharger- My complete kit cost about $5400 all said and done, they will be going back on sale soon so keep your eye out, with this, you will make scat packs look slow. ~+120whp
Everyone who has been in my car have all said they enjoyed it more than the scat pack, there's nothing equivalent to hearing the blower whine and the instant tq right in your face. The only real benefit id give the scat pack is better brakes tbh, otherwise when modifying, the 5.7 is better or equal in every way. Same trans, drivetrain, etc. And the stock blocks handle the same amount of power.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
Always buy as much car as you can afford within its segment. That means, the most options, the most power, the higest trim level - within your budget.
It has a little to do with more power on tap, but it also has to do worth potential furure trade in value, etc.
If you cannot start near the top, you can always, like many of us have, slowly upgrade your way thru.
Few people ever said to the themselves, "I really wish I had bought the lower trim model, because all these options kinda suck", but plenty of people update, upgrade...or wish they had/could. In fact OP, your debating doing just that with this very thread.
If you mod the R/T you will literally kill its value & probably whatever is left of the warranty. The circle of potential 2nd or 3rd owners shrinks considerably as well.
May not matter today, but tomorrow it might.
The used perf car & truck markets are very hot right now, top dollars are being paid for stock, top trim level models. This trend doesnt look to be letting up anytime soon.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,316 Posts
You can do a supercharger & dyno tuning for about 8k if you install it maybe a little less but I included thicker radiator and upped to dual fans and a factory oil cooler. Did it all myself. If you have the 2.65 gears upping to the 3.06 is a nice enhancement.
Or just trade up to the SP.
2:65 is the SXT not an R/T

1 - 20 of 48 Posts