Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get some wider tires for my RT. All the tires I want dont fit the stock rims (they are not wide enough). I have identified a set of rims to do the job, but before I go that route I wanted to find out if it is possible to have the stock rims modfied. Can you get the stock rims cut and then widened by adding a welded piece? If so who does this kind of work? Is it recommended to do this?

·
Registered
223 Posts
The 295's will fit! Section width is 11.6" and bead is probably 10"-10.5". The wheel is 8.5 outside and 7.5" bead. Thats roughly an 1 1/2" over lap on each side...not gonna hurt anything! Just give the tire a bulgy look! Look at the MOPAR 1320 Challenger. 305 45 18 Mickey Thompsons...same tire I have for the stock 18"s. I will mount them in a week or so and no concerns at all. Its not an optimal road coarse fit obviously...though it will work fine and look killer!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I am a little confused. The Nitto site says that the approved rim for the 555 295/45/18 is 9.5 to 11.0. The stock 18 is supposed to be 7.5. So you are saying that this tire will fit on a stock 18?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have done it to many times to count! I dont care how you drive the car, you not have any problems! The tire manufactures recommendations are the standards...and they should be looked at...I am not disagreeing with that! Although, these RECOMMENDATIONS are for their protection in the event of a tire failure! Insurance, law suits, etc... Of coarse they don't want any body getting hurt, or tearing their vehicle up...You can sway each side of the recommended line though!

JUST DO IT!!! ...and see for yourself! You will not have any issues!!!

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I fit M&H 275/45R18 drag radials on my stock 18s. I only use them for the track but I wouldn't think twice if I needed to drive them on the street. They barely bulge at all.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will try them out on the stock rims first and see how it goes. Then change to wider rims if I find that I dont like the feel/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts