Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 SXT, I've not gotten water in the engine twice now. Is there a way to raise the level at which air enters the intake? I obviously need airflow, not sure if there is a conversion kit to raise it to the dummy light like the performance models. Before you think I'm an idiot driving through rivers, both instances occurred on city streets with less than 8" of water, water didn't even reach door jamb.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,326 Posts
I have a 2017 SXT, I've not gotten water in the engine twice now. Is there a way to raise the level at which air enters the intake? I obviously need airflow, not sure if there is a conversion kit to raise it to the dummy light like the performance models. Before you think I'm an idiot driving through rivers, both instances occurred on city streets with less than 8" of water, water didn't even reach door jamb.
I‘ll bite....
So.....are you saying your engine has hydrolocked twice.....and no corrective action was taken after the first time?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the first time was a fluke (Harvey), but the 2nd time happened a few weeks ago while driving to Galveston, a sudden down pour flash flood and I'm the only person leaving the ferry that didn't get to where I was going. It didn't dawn on me that there might be a "fix" for this, I didn't know where to look, the dealership is less than helpful on suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk, and thanks for your service ;)

This is a first for me, and it happened to you twice? The intake tube is above the level of the headlight opening (it's on all 2015+ Challengers, just not open from the factory on some models). The stock air box draws air from underneath/fender though.

I suppose if that opening was completely submerged it's within possibility the intake would create enough vacuum to draw water up from there and into the engine (you are saying the engine was hydrolocked by water, correct?). This would mean the whole intake inlet, air box would have to be completely full of water. Not as likely as it sounds

The fix, barring stop driving through rivers, could be an aftermarket open CAI (Cold Air Intake) that couldn't possibly seal to the lower fender opening, and would require submerging the car higher than the headlight inlet height

Stock

Lower air box fender opening

An example open CAI (my AirAid, uses stock tube)

Honestly, even stock the air box doesn't seal that well to the lower fender, but if you forge rivers with it, I guess it doesn't matter. If you get a CAI (the AirAid is 50 state legal), you'd have to get very deep to get the water level with the filter

A Guy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts