Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m currently using the 93 octane tune that came in my Trinity. From what I’ve read on this site the only parameters that are active outside of WOT are the MDS off, Throttle boost and neutral rev limiter. MDS and Throttle Boost to me make the Trinity worth the money I spent.
Considering that I’m not at WOT 80% of the time I’m thinking of going back to the factory recommended 89 octane. This would have me do a modified stock tune. Could I add fuel at WOT in the modified stock tune program? Also what octane is the modified stock program specified for? Since when I go into the tune program my Trinity only shows modify stock , 91 and 93.

Happy Holidays !

·
Registered
929 Posts
This is where I'm at. I'm getting some serious KNK numbers , probably because the octane is too low.
I'm about to jump to 93 gas on the 91 tune and see if it gets rid of my knock.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed_R, but that does not answer my question. Although I have extensively read of many folks getting knock.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The canned tunes do change your partial throttle settings (custom tuners can adjust more), but you cant change it yourself. It also reduces torque management.

The stock setting is 89 octane for auto and 91 manual.

Have you monitored your knock numbers or your MPG? The only reason I can think of that anyone would want to go back to the stock setting is MPG and in that case, just because you are paying less at the pump doesnt mean you are paying less all together. My MPG increased by 2 running 93 octane on the 91 tune.

1,931 Posts
Why do you think you need to add fuel to the stock tune? More likely you need to remove fuel as the stock tune is usually rich for various reasons......get a vendor like HHP Johan to do a custom email tune for 89 octane....Adjusting fuel and spark by the inexperienced can result in a blown engine...

·
Banned
575 Posts
Yea your Stock tune is probably in the 11's A/F Ratio and need to be 12.5 for the best power N/A. Removing fuel will yield better results, adding a wideband will tell you where you are at. Custom tune for the best/most gains.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
929 Posts
SOrry I didn't answer your question. I had much better luck modifying the stock tune. 345_chlngr did the thinking for me.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Adding or removing fuel without first knowing what it is doing is a bad idea. I would not suggest doing either out of the box without logging a few runs.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Hmmm

Yea your Stock tune is probably in the 11's A/F Ratio and need to be 12.5 for the best power N/A. Removing fuel will yield better results, adding a wideband will tell you where you are at. Custom tune for the best/most gains.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

My stock 392 tune runs 13.5 to 14.5 A/F partial throttle for better MPG and emissions. Mid to Low 13s WOT.
Even cold start up, my stock tune never goes into the 12s let alone the 11s.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My stock 392 tune runs 13.5 to 14.5 A/F partial throttle for better MPG and emissions. Mid to Low 13s WOT.

>>>I also have a stock tune on my 2012 R/T, meaning no can tune bone stock, and to my knowledge car runs strong... Do you think the A/F ratio keeps the engine optimal at all times on a bone stock from factory? would you say runs cooler or hotter?

"I also use 93 octane on my bone stock tune from factory"

·
Banned
575 Posts
That might be the case on 392's, I have seen several 5.7L cars that were very similar to mine. Mine was actually leaner with the Stock tune 11.9 and ran 11.6 with B&G tune.

I had SRT Shorty's, SRT Mids, Corsa Exhaust in this dyno run.

BTW Mid to Low 13's are way to lean and you need to richen to around 12.5 for Peak HP/TQ

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Mid to low 13s is the way it came from the factory at WOT (with a CAI, 180 stat & catback) per a wb and two trips to the rollers.
My B&G Rev 3 93 Octane ECU runs mid 12s after Dave got it tweaked with four dyno pulls.
I now run the B&G Cherry Tune ECU (Indy Bill's Tune) which ran high 11s a/f low, 12.0 a/f mid and 12.2 a/f high before water/meth.
I now run a snow kit, add a degree low, nothing mid and a degree high but pull fuel to keep it in the low 12s a/f on the street WOT. I change the percent meth (up to 100%) to rid the KNKs then pull or add fuel based on the quality of the fuel when I get to the track. 50/50 water meth richened me .2 A/Fs.
90+% meth richens me .6 a/fs with a 225ml nozzle so I pull fuel. I had a total of six passes (four this fall) in the 11.9s at 115 MPH in 1K DA or less.

Last Friday was the first time at the track catless and I removed the air filter. Got the a/fs in the low 12s and minimal (.5 ST KNK). Car ran a few passes at 117.4 (two MPH faster than ever before). Track didn't have any heat in it so I couldn't hook worth a crap and had wheel hop bad. I did get a 12.1 pass but my 60' was 1.8X and I had to blip it. Should have been my trophy run but the blip ruined it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts