Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am looking for some small bolt on mods I can run on my car, that won't hurt it, lean conditions, etc, before I get it tuned. If they help me pick up a few ponies before the tune that is a plus but I do want them to be mods that will perform well when I eventually do get my car tuned when I do get a new cam installed (hopefully this spring).

Now some information, car is a stock 5.7l A8 car, except a Scat Pack 1 PCM, minor exhaust mods, reso delete and muffler swap, Hellcat intake tube and lower box with a dry drop in AEM filter, period.

When I pick the cam, I am going to ask for the biggest one that does not require a new torque converter. It is good to know that because any mods would be low to mid RPM related.

I already have shorty headers that are going on the car when the weather breaks, JBA Cat4ward. along with a LSD rear end (3.09 gears so no real change there)

I am tossing around the idea of a ported 5.7l Intake manifold and possibly a larger throttle body, not ridiculous but maybe 85 or 87mm (I see those commonly for sale)

Would those do damage running them on my car,without a tune, at the drag strip and on the street?

If they give my 5hp without a Tune that is fine too. :D

Any other mods PROVEN <<NO SNAKE OIL>> to not hurt the car pre tune but help performance when the car is being tuned (on a dyno, so the tune will account for the mods) will be greatly appreciated.

I know I can not just bolt in a NON MDS cam, or any cam without a tune.

Thanks,
F.J.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well... the cross section ported throttle bodies (87mm that are made by certain companies) are snake oil, so make sure that you get a true bore throttle body if you go that route. If the throttle blade was not changed from stock, it’s not doing anything more than stock.

The ported plastic manifolds have never been proven to make more power or run faster at the track with them being the only change. That being said, I have been curious about them myself simply for testing.

Neither will hurt your car pretune though. Not much you can dig into without having to get a tune. A great mod on the NAG1 cars used to be converter swaps but, as I understand it, the 8spds do not react the same.

Is your goal power oriented or do you race it? There are lots of “bolt ons” that I could give you, suspension and otherwise, that would result in lower ETs that would never need a tune.

Either way, the two things listed will result in very little even with a tune. The tune will be what you are getting the additional power from, not those bolt ons.

Not to derail further, but having gone down this road with my challenger, and being disappointed, I am now going down the path that I should have originally with my new (old) Charger. I just installed a nitrous setup and am pulling parts together for a converter/rear end/driveshaft swap. Then a cam/head swap. Avoiding the whole “bolt on” thing until they are needed to help the major upgrades. A throttle body upgrade is really only needed if the motor requires more air, a stock motor does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I’d just wait for the cam and tune. Has anyone talked to you about different valve springs with that new cam?

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... the cross section ported throttle bodies (87mm that are made by certain companies) are snake oil, so make sure that you get a true bore throttle body if you go that route. If the throttle blade was not changed from stock, it’s not doing anything more than stock.

The ported plastic manifolds have never been proven to make more power or run faster at the track with them being the only change. That being said, I have been curious about them myself simply for testing.

Neither will hurt your car pretune though. Not much you can dig into without having to get a tune. A great mod on the NAG1 cars used to be converter swaps but, as I understand it, the 8spds do not react the same.

Is your goal power oriented or do you race it? There are lots of “bolt ons” that I could give you, suspension and otherwise, that would result in lower ETs that would never need a tune.

Either way, the two things listed will result in very little even with a tune. The tune will be what you are getting the additional power from, not those bolt ons.

Not to derail further, but having gone down this road with my challenger, and being disappointed, I am now going down the path that I should have originally with my new (old) Charger. I just installed a nitrous setup and am pulling parts together for a converter/rear end/driveshaft swap. Then a cam/head swap. Avoiding the whole “bolt on” thing until they are needed to help the major upgrades. A throttle body upgrade is really only needed if the motor requires more air, a stock motor does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My car is street driven, been to the drag strip and am wanting to stay ahead of my buddies 49 Chevy truck and want to eventually be faster than his 2010 Camaro SS. That's it, that's my end goal.
I did not think the TB would be worth the hassle anyway as I am not increasing displacement or rpms (drastically) so it should not need more air.

·
Vendor
12,215 Posts
almost everything you do will require tuning, tbis, any larger then 85(true tbis, not ported), headers, cam, intakes, etc

basically anything more than cat back or cai will require tuning

·
Vendor
12,215 Posts
anything more then cat back and cai will affect your powertrain warranty

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anything more then cat back and cai will affect your powertrain warranty
My power train warranty is up before I bring the car out this spring sooo....
I know that to get the most out of any mod you need a tune, I just do not want to put something on my car pre tune that will damage it and I only want to spend $$$ on parts that actually work once tuned.
Like just throwing larger injectors in you car and driving it around, you can really "EFF" things up.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,433 Posts
Yeah, anything that will actually do a measurable increase will require a tune. So go big or go home, supercharger, or 6.4!
Easiest cheapest way to increase performance, actually free, start removing stuff! That will help braking, cornering , acceleration.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, anything that will actually do a measurable increase will require a tune. So go big or go home, supercharger, or 6.4!
Easiest cheapest way to increase performance, actually free, start removing stuff! That will help braking, cornering , acceleration.
I am only going in a straight line LOL if it gets too fast I'll buy a parachute!

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
677 Posts
Deeper gears and better tires are about your best bang for the buck.

You could try an under drive pulley. But since the power steering is electric and the A/C cycles off, your'e only going to gain on the alternator and water pump drag. Probably not worth your time/money.

Some people like putting the 6.4 variable runner intake on a 5.7 and activating it with an rpm switch. Once you are tuning it, you can actually run wires to the PCM and activate the runners in the tune so you can remove the rpm switch.

A small shot of n2o will be hard to beat, and if you keep it reasonable should not require a tune. I'm talking 50-75hp.

FCA really did a great job with the Hemi engines and did not leave much on the table. Unless you are going to do major change - cam, headers, porting, boost, etc. - there isn't much that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I agree with deeper rear diff gearing. suspension and tires for better traction..if you are looking to pick up ET.
I also agree that at this point, you may have gotten all that 5.7 is going to give up - without a tune, cam , long tubes and port work.
Never have seen gains of any kind from larger throttle bodies, not at least until you are well into much more substantial engine mods...even then, gains from a larger TB are very (very) marginal.
Taking wieght out can also make a b i g difference.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with deeper rear diff gearing. suspension and tires for better traction..if you are looking to pick up ET.
I also agree that at this point, you may have gotten all that 5.7 is going to give up - without a tune, cam , long tubes and port work.
Never have seen gains of any kind from larger throttle bodies, not at least until you are well into much more substantial engine mods...even then, gains from a larger TB are very (very) marginal.
Taking wieght out can also make a b i g difference.
The plan is to do a cam hopefully soon (I have 4k of the 6k saved OST dyno wants to do a cam and I am throwing around 1k in my savings per month to get there!!!! I just won't schedule anything until I have cash in hand and a 2k buffer for "home repairs". I just wanted to know any "odds and ends" to throw on now that will help when it is getting tuned that will not grenade my engine before I get tuned.

I am sorry I think I confused everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts