Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Racer X discuses various low cost mods for the 5.7 Hemi to increase its horsepower.

The first group of mods incorporates the following:

Phase 1- 15-20 hp.

Hellcat air box- $100
190 degree stat- $50
Ported intake manifold- $400
Pedal Commander- $300
2.75' or 3" catback exhaust- $1,600
Total- $2,450

Phase 2- 30-35 hp. (all of the above mods, plus)

Long tube headers with high flow cats
Custom dyno tune
Total- $2,600

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,110 Posts
Don't know exactly what I paid, somewhere between 20 and 23k between last year and this year. Who really keeps track? got 527 WHP. So much more fun and better sounding than a stock Scat Pack. Well worth it, no car payment.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Don't know exactly what I paid, somewhere between 20 and 23k between last year and this year. Who really keeps track? got 527 WHP. So much more fun and better sounding than a stock Scat Pack. Well worth it, no car payment.
Frank, I'm glad you had a great time developing your HP. And 527 is impressive. But very few 5.7 owners can swing that kind of $. Yes, fiscally responsible people with families "keep track". And if they choose to to do it, probably they would have a monthly payment one way or the other.
Plus, if you are getting that from a 5.7, do you expect the same reliability as a factory 6.4? And would it be as "street-able" as a factory Scat?

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
184 Posts
Love my R/T Classic 5.7, but when if/when I get an itch for more power, it's getting replaced with a SRT or Scat Pack. Simply the most cost-effective way to go for me. Bang-for-buck, reliability, resale value, etc. To each their own, and I like and respect a high-horsepower modified 5.7, but it's just not for me.

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,080 Posts
Insane horse power at the wheels...

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
404 Posts
Step 1. Go to dealer and trade in the 5.7L for a 6.4L. The money is far better invested this way and you get a ground up correctly engineered car.
No step 2.

These threads are entertaining. Folks keep buying the 5.7L, and then spend un-recoverable money chasing 6.4L numbers. And they still don't have the Brembos, the handling, the packages, the suspension, etc. to help with the added HP.

I really don't understand it.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
1,743 Posts
Step 1. Go to dealer and trade in the 5.7L for a 6.4L. The money is far better invested this way and you get a ground up correctly engineered car.
No step 2.

These threads are entertaining. Folks keep buying the 5.7L, and then spend un-recoverable money chasing 6.4L numbers. And they still don't have the Brembos, the handling, the packages, the suspension, etc. to help with the added HP.

Some people do that with all models a 7k Super Charger 2k Exhaust, TB, Coil Packs Fuel Pump, on a SXT and barely touching an R/T as well and as you said not including a Brake System Upgrade all said and done go up next model. But to each their own as they say.

·
Registered
2020 R/T Plus, Blacktop
24 Posts
My opinion, just get a scat pack. I paid $44,500 for my 2020 R/T with plus, blacktop, driver convenience, auto transmission, uconnect 8.4 nav and a sunroof. The scat pack I wish I would have got is $46,495 with plus, driver convenience , auto transmission and a sunroof. Less packages, yes but engine is all that matters if you are looking for more horsepower. Just me though!

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
My opinion, just get a scat pack. I paid $44,500 for my 2020 R/T with plus, blacktop, driver convenience, auto transmission, uconnect 8.4 nav and a sunroof. The scat pack I wish I would have got is $46,495 with plus, driver convenience , auto transmission and a sunroof. Less packages, yes but engine is all that matters if you are looking for more horsepower. Just me though!
I know your thinking. I ordered my '16 SP and MSRP was $41880 back then.

Loaded up R/T's were right there in pricing, and loaded up Shaker R/T's stickered for more.

I had a couple of months before I could order, so I decided the color and options that I really wanted.

B5 blue and the A8 were a must have. The only factory options were WRT wheels and the Modern R/T Hood Stripe.

5 1/2 years and 30k (s)miles later, I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
2020 R/T Plus, Blacktop
24 Posts
I know your thinking. I ordered my '16 SP and MSRP was $41880 back then.

Loaded up R/T's were right there in pricing, and loaded up Shaker R/T's stickered for more.

I had a couple of months before I could order, so I decided the color and options that I really wanted.

B5 blue and the A8 were a must have. The only factory options were WRT wheels and the Modern R/T Hood Stripe.

5 1/2 years and 30k (s)miles later, I wouldn't change a thing.
I'm glad you went with the scat pack. I shoulda coulda woulda lol! The only thing is all the scat packs near me are in colors I do not like so that kind of played a part in it, I also paid full in cash so I own the thing out right so if I ever want to upgrade.....it has crossed my mind maybe when the time is right!

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
I'm glad you went with the scat pack. I shoulda coulda woulda lol! The only thing is all the scat packs near me are in colors I do not like so that kind of played a part in it, I also paid full in cash so I own the thing out right so if I ever want to upgrade.....it has crossed my mind maybe when the time is right!
I was replacing my flood totalled '10 R/TC, so it was a very easy choice to "try" a SP.

I loved that '10, so I had to make sure that the new one "eased the pain."

It did.

13698.jpg
41577.jpg

·
Registered
2020 R/T Plus, Blacktop
24 Posts
I was replacing my flood totalled '10 R/TC, so it was a very easy choice to "try" a SP.

I loved that '10, so I had to make sure that the new one "eased the pain."

It did.

View attachment 1023299 View attachment 1023300
Both very nice! My first challenger was a 2020 GT indigo blue and I just recently moved up to the R/T go mango.
download.png

Hear the end of the challengers is going to be around 2023 so I will have to make my upgrade before then.

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
136 Posts
No love for the 5.7. :(
I fell in love with the GG TA when it came out in 17. Always wanted one. They only made 383 GG TAs. So I feel damn lucky to have my 5.7 TA.
Honestly it is striking a nice balance as my daily driver. Not chasing horsepower as it really has enough for me.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,110 Posts
No step 2.

"Novice" says it all.

Frank, I'm glad you had a great time developing your HP. And 527 is impressive. But very few 5.7 owners can swing that kind of $. Yes, fiscally responsible people with families "keep track". And if they choose to to do it, probably they would have a monthly payment one way or the other.
Plus, if you are getting that from a 5.7, do you expect the same reliability as a factory 6.4? And would it be as "street-able" as a factory Scat?
You know what I mean, everything you do to your car adds up, can you keep track? Wheels, tires, paint, stripes, interior, exterior and engine mods. Crap I would be hard pressed to recall all the mods on my car. Speaking of that I have a few mods that I can't even put back on my car, including an un opened Petty strut brace for a V6 that will work with my Whipple but after putting the one on my wife's G/T I don't like the way it fit on the shock tower.

·
Super Moderator
15,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wait what? Pedal Commander adds HP? You gotta stop linking Racer X, i can't remember the last time he actually had something of value in his videos...
Did you watch his video? He included the Pedal Commander as a way to make the 5.7 more responsive and fun to drive. He didn't claim that it added horsepower.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
"Novice" says it all.

You know what I mean, everything you do to your car adds up, can you keep track? Wheels, tires, paint, stripes, interior, exterior and engine mods. Crap I would be hard pressed to recall all the mods on my car. Speaking of that I have a few mods that I can't even put back on my car, including an un opened Petty strut brace for a V6 that will work with my Whipple but after putting the one on my wife's G/T I don't like the way it fit on the shock tower.
I do, I'm in that territory on my Harley. Lost track of all the chrome gizmos I have put on it. They will sell you chrome that covers up the chrome you bought and put on it last week! Although I did this over decades so the impact to my budget was amortized. But those engine mods need to be done pretty much simultaneously to achieve the stated numbers. That fast of an impact on most peoples budget will need to be kept track of. IMO.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts