Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T 5.7L A8 Pitch Black aka "Black Beauty"
52 Posts
First, in first, as easily as a Challenger can roast the rears, it still has better dry traction than a FWD car with weight transfer helping it, and hurting FWD, the driver just needs to learn a bit.
Second, once in second (see what I did there?) it is all gravy, and power to weight really is all that matters.
So you start off in 2nd gear at the expense of hurting your transmission and sacrifice all the power you had in first gear?

You do realize you have the same transmission and driveshaft that the 5.7 has don't you?

Here is my best 0 ~ 60 time so far, what is yours?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I really like this idea, blatantly functional. Like the SHAKER, even if there is zero increase, and probably a performance decrease due to the slight weight of adding anything to a car, at least, it adds something, and has to work.
It doesnt weigh that much & there is a noticeable difference on the crisp colder days with no humidity. I live in NY so I def feel the diff in the early spring & fall.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The problem seems to be my tires. Nitto Motivos SUCK! I do not care if they are 315s.
Tire width is good traction as long as the rubber composition of the tire is no higher than a UTQG of #220, higher numbered tire rubber compositions are harder rubber, to last a longer time at the expense of off the line traction.

Many Summer tires have a UTQG of #500 and they last longer, but spin like crazy.

The Nitto Motivos have a UTQG rating of #560, you should have bought a set of roller skates, shop by the UTQG rating and you will see a big difference.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Wow, how many of you are running around waving your horsepower flags, and cannot even get it to the pavement! You can truly roast a set of tires while a Honda Civic leaves you at a Red light, but you've got the horsepower all right! ROFL 🤣
I don't race but this is why a got the WB. The 305's and LSD do a pretty good job of hooking up. At least for what I want.
Can you just dump the clutch from a dead stop and floor it, no. But that's why it has a throttle and not an on/off switch. Jeez!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,102 Posts
Tire width is good traction as long as the rubber composition of the tire is no higher than a UTQG of #220, higher numbered tire rubber compositions are harder rubber, to last a longer time at the expense of off the line traction.

Many Summer tires have a UTQG of #500 and they last longer, but spin like crazy.

The Nitto Motivos have a UTQG rating of #560, you should have bought a set of roller skates, shop by the UTQG rating and you will see a big difference.
Thanks, I'm still trying to figure all this out:

I am debating now on just going 18" rims and run 245/55 R18 fronts and 305/45 R18 on the rear (Mickey Thompson ET Street R or M & H Slick)

·
Registered
1 Posts

6k 430whp 420 torque 485 crank beats scat packs 10k and it’s up to hellcat power some food for thought for people doubting 5.7s

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I went with 2009 5.7 Nag-1 in 2008 and zero option sunroof with lighter cloth interior. Can't forget Speed Logic billet Moroso catch can at 1,400 miles to keep intake/heads clean. Just installed 20" Ultra High Performance (UHP) General G-Max RS summer tires (they stick like glue with 45K mile warranty). Also grabbed new 120 pound wife for my recent weight reduction. Only other thing that added HP was our 5.7 turned out to be factory Freak Motor - so there's that variable at no cost. lol

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,842 Posts
So now i see this thread and his estimated price for the hellcat airbox and its got me thinking maybe thats my solution? I havent yet gone to amazon like he suggested and found one because a) im not sure what the right one is and b) i have never ever seen factory parts that cheap so im skeptical this thing is around 100.
Hellcat headlight opening is 2015+ only

But yes, less than $50 even

A Guy

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,065 Posts

I run with Motivos on the front only, and they are great handling tires, even on wet roads...

Reactions: Rys Black Beauty

·
Registered
10,497 Posts
View attachment 1023659

6k 430whp 420 torque 485 crank beats scat packs 10k and it’s up to hellcat power some food for thought for people doubting 5.7s
I don't think that anyone doubts what the 5.7 can be turned into with some work and $$$.

Some folks love tearing the heck out of car, be it new or used, to get more power. It's enjoyable for them.

Many folks don't do the above, for numerous reasons, and still enjoy their cars. It's enjoyable for them.

The lucky wrenchers will have a BGE block, right from the factory, already in their car.

Start wrenching with those, and it really gets serious.

Just depends on what the individual wants from his ride.

Rack up some miles and smiles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Everyone is like, oh just upgrade to a scat! Sure, if you like being stock. People who like to modify their cars to make them personalized are not interested in resale value anyhow. The 5.7l is underpowered compared to its potential because of smog and tuning. So it is more affordable, more readily available, and provides the greatest response to mods.

My shit is paid for. More HP or not I'm not trading my ride in to pick up another 10k+ in debt and a car payment. I'll save my Money and chip away at the mods I can until I have it just the way I want it. It will take a while, but I don't care. Besides they don't spray cars in Deep Water Blue Pearl anymore

·
Registered
163 Posts
Supercharger is the way to go but shops want 12k to do it. I did mine myself for 7k that included upgrading to dual fans w/thicker rad, OE oil cooler. 7 psi dyno 450 at the wheels, lots of fun. I did later on convert my open diff to a wavetrac LSD.
I read a post earlier in this thread claiming 7 psi gets 180-200 HP gain. Hard to swallow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Everyone is like, oh just upgrade to a scat! Sure, if you like being stock. People who like to modify their cars to make them personalized are not interested in resale value anyhow. The 5.7l is underpowered compared to its potential because of smog and tuning. So it is more affordable, more readily available, and provides the greatest response to mods.

My shit is paid for. More HP or not I'm not trading my ride in to pick up another 10k+ in debt and a car payment. I'll save my Money and chip away at the mods I can until I have it just the way I want it. It will take a while, but I don't care. Besides they don't spray cars in Deep Water Blue Pearl anymore
I agree just wanted to add it is more than $10K difference today my wife and I saw an Octane Red 2021 5.7 sitting on a lot and just stopped in to look at it and there was an over $50K sticker on the window for the R/T, prices have seriously inflated today.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
I agree just wanted to add it is more than $10K difference today my wife and I saw an Octane Red 2021 5.7 sitting on a lot and just stopped in to look at it and there was an over $50K sticker on the window for the R/T, prices have seriously inflated today.
So, what is the KBB on that car? Is it inflated as well? Will they take into account that a 2021 costs more than a 2022 (hopefully) when determining values 3 years from now? Did not think so. Would hard pass as you are starting out way upside down, if you do get it, get the GAP insurance too.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,073 Posts
So you start off in 2nd gear at the expense of hurting your transmission and sacrifice all the power you had in first gear?

You do realize you have the same transmission and driveshaft that the 5.7 has don't you?

Here is my best 0 ~ 60 time so far, what is yours?
I've only ever tried twice, and it was 4.5" in 2nd gear on 65K warranty street tires at 34 PSI. And how is that hurting the transmission? It is designed for it. And I don't care what equipment is in a 5.7 car, I didn't want a 5.7, I have owned 2 others, before and a 5.7 Jeep now. My 5.7 Charger even had the same rear end as my Challenger to add to the list, but who cares?
I still contend that with a 392 A8 1st gear is effectively useless for severe acceleration from a stop without prepped tires and/or track. Way too much torque for the laws of physics, and 2nd gear is basically the same as 1st gear was in the A5 (which also had 2nd gear start as a function designed into it).
Sure, you can launch just as hard in 1st, modulating the throttle like a pro, but I didn't have time for enough passes to learn that, and I didn't want to waste one pass with a smoke show, ended up I only got 2 passes total.
I broke 111 in the ¼ mile and was damn pleased with it, a 12.x ET was just a bonus to me. To me the fun of the car is while moving, not the initial 60', I leave that to the guys that do it every week, and know their stuff.
So to me, ANYONE with half a brain, and a bone stock Scat Pack A8 should be able to break under 13 seconds, and over 110 MPH. I wanted to know not how fast and quick my car "could go" if launched perfectly by someone else, BUT by how fast it is basically guaranteed to be ABLE to go when not launched poorly.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Agree 100%. Its all about a persons budget. I paid under $20k for my Challenger. Its kissing almost 400hp. I modify it when I can to what I like on my timeline & budget. 6.4 Challengers late models are going for low $40k. Im digging myself in a hole for @100 more hp that I can add for a few $$ more.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So, what is the KBB on that car? Is it inflated as well? Will they take into account that a 2021 costs more than a 2022 (hopefully) when determining values 3 years from now? Did not think so. Would hard pass as you are starting out way upside down, if you do get it, get the GAP insurance too.
Frank, I honestly don't know the blue book value I was just shocked at the 50K sticker price on a 35K vehicle range car and we were just curious because we had just left a Chevrolet dealership because they had a C7 Corvette out front with an really nice looking paint job and I was curious as to the color. So we stopped to look at it and I was pleased when we first got there no sales people descended on us, the Corvette was a 2019 C7 and the paint was Ceramic, it was quite a beautiful color, about 4 shades lighter than the Dodge Billet Silver Metalflake.

I'm a Dodge owner but I have always loved the Corvette but my preference was way back to around the 1969, 1970 era. Long story short we were heading back to the car, got in the car cranked up and put it in reverse, and here comes a sales person. During the conversation exchange my wife asked her how much for the Corvette, and she responded with 100K I busted out laughing, and said that is twice what that used 2019 is worth.

She said well that's prices today!

So that is what fired my curiosity to go to a CJDR dealership lot and see what prices are on the new Challengers, and saw the R/T 5.7 at 50K, they did not have any higher level Challengers on their lot to see what they were listing at.

I don't have any intentions of buying a car in this day and time even a used car, but unfortunately if people go out and pay these inflated prices, they will not ever come back down. Ry

I've only ever tried twice, and it was 4.5" in 2nd gear on 65K warranty street tires at 34 PSI. And how is that hurting the transmission? It is designed for it. And I don't care what equipment is in a 5.7 car, I didn't want a 5.7, I have owned 2 others, before and a 5.7 Jeep now. My 5.7 Charger even had the same rear end as my Challenger to add to the list, but who cares?
I still contend that with a 392 A8 1st gear is effectively useless for severe acceleration from a stop without prepped tires and/or track. Way too much torque for the laws of physics, and 2nd gear is basically the same as 1st gear was in the A5 (which also had 2nd gear start as a function designed into it).
Sure, you can launch just as hard in 1st, modulating the throttle like a pro, but I didn't have time for enough passes to learn that, and I didn't want to waste one pass with a smoke show, ended up I only got 2 passes total.
I broke 111 in the ¼ mile and was damn pleased with it, a 12.x ET was just a bonus to me. To me the fun of the car is while moving, not the initial 60', I leave that to the guys that do it every week, and know their stuff.
So to me, ANYONE with half a brain, and a bone stock Scat Pack A8 should be able to break under 13 seconds, and over 110 MPH. I wanted to know not how fast and quick my car "could go" if launched perfectly by someone else, BUT by how fast it is basically guaranteed to be ABLE to go when not launched poorly.
That was well said! :) Ry

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Frank, I honestly don't know the blue book value I was just shocked at the 50K sticker price on a 35K vehicle range car and we were just curious because we had just left a Chevrolet dealership because they had a C7 Corvette out front with an really nice looking paint job and I was curious as to the color. So we stopped to look at it and I was pleased when we first got there no sales people descended on us, the Corvette was a 2019 C7 and the paint was Ceramic, it was quite a beautiful color, about 4 shades lighter than the Dodge Billet Silver Metalflake.

I'm a Dodge owner but I have always loved the Corvette but my preference was way back to around the 1969, 1970 era. Long story short we were heading back to the car, got in the car cranked up and put it in reverse, and here comes a sales person. During the conversation exchange my wife asked her how much for the Corvette, and she responded with 100K I busted out laughing, and said that is twice what that used 2019 is worth.

She said well that's prices today!

So that is what fired my curiosity to go to a CJDR dealership lot and see what prices are on the new Challengers, and saw the R/T 5.7 at 50K, they did not have any higher level Challengers on their lot to see what they were listing at.

I don't have any intentions of buying a car in this day and time even a used car, but unfortunately if people go out and pay these inflated prices, they will not ever come back down. Ry
my comment was to discourage anyone from buying a car, or anything. Make the pricing bubble collapse before the Federal Reserve puts the "Kibash" on everything by raising interest rates.

·
Registered
52 Posts
my comment was to discourage anyone from buying a car, or anything. Make the pricing bubble collapse before the Federal Reserve puts the "Kibash" on everything by raising interest rates.
I put a suggestion in your other tire thread you linked earlier.

Racer X discuses various low cost mods for the 5.7 Hemi to increase its horsepower.

The first group of mods incorporates the following:

Phase 1- 15-20 hp.

Hellcat air box- $100
190 degree stat- $50
Ported intake manifold- $400
Pedal Commander- $300
2.75' or 3" catback exhaust- $1,600
Total- $2,450

Phase 2- 30-35 hp. (all of the above mods, plus)

Long tube headers with high flow cats
Custom dyno tune
Total- $2,600

Dodge has dialed back the 5.7 quite a bit in it's stock version to not be any competition to the 392 Scat Pack, BUT, they have done the same thing to the 392 so in its stock form it is no competition to the Hellcat, that is how Dodge wants it to be. They have installed fusible link failure points in both the 5.7 and the 6.4, fusible link meaning regarding an electrical term, a point designed to fail to protect more expensive equipment. But relating the term fusible link to what Dodge has done this is it explained.

The first fusible link as far as traction is concerned is the rear tire size of 245, as they even put those on the earlier 6.4s knowing they would spin, and to ensure they would spin they put All Season tires on them with a harder rubber composition. Tires are expendable and a fusible link, because Dodge is not going to pay for your tires, especially since their Dodge commercials show Challengers emerging from a cloud of smoke from burnt up tires, it is their horsepower sell factor.

The automatic transmissions came with open differentials, relying on Electronic Traction Control, which was a cheaper method of traction, by using the anti lock brake system to apply brakes to the slipping wheel and attempt to gain traction. The bad, is brakes being applied while you are trying to get off the line, and that is actually wearing out your brakes, but you don't realize it, and Dodge doesn't care. They could have just installed a Limited Slip Differential but that would have cost more money out the door, so they chose the cheaper option. It is kinda funny how many are running open differentials and don't even know it.

The next fusible link some of you don't know a thing about is your OEM 2 piece driveshaft which is not only on the 5.7 but the 6.4 as well. Once you start beefing up the rear end with wider rims and tires, you increase driveline backlash and sooner or later this will happen.

So the point I am trying to make in any of our quests for more power, it comes with consequences, that you can either prepare for from the beginning or the end, but you will eventually be either voluntarily doing it or no choice doing it, in your quest for power. Ry

41 - 60 of 90 Posts