Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T 5.7L A8 Pitch Black aka "Black Beauty"
52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,207 Posts
So you start off in 2nd gear at the expense of hurting your transmission and sacrifice all the power you had in first gear?

You do realize you have the same transmission and driveshaft that the 5.7 has don't you?

Here is my best 0 ~ 60 time so far, what is yours?

View attachment 1023651
He didn't say start in second gear, he said "by the time the car hits second gear."

I understand where you are going with this but the car stills moves forward even with tire spin. It doesn't sit there motionless. I think you are envisioning a burn out.

Additionally there are so many more uses of the additional horsepower than trying to race a Honda Civic in a straight line... ;)

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
I never do a hard start from a standstill as it is hard on the car and I prefer to baby it. I’ll never street race a Scatpack (or a Civic) and thus really don’t care how fast those cars are. I’ll never take my car to the track. Nevertheless, I’d like to put a supercharger on my car just because it’d be fun to get set back in the seat harder on those times when I roll on the power here and there (typically from about 20 mph up to about 50 - just enough to enjoy the car without breaking too many laws).

“Just get a Scatpack”? I paid 18k for my car with 50k miles on it - looked new in and out. Three months later Dodge put a new engine in it. I’ve done a number of things to make this car just what I like. So I’ve got a car that I like with about 3500 miles on the engine. I can get a supercharger installed for about 9k. No way can I get a Scatpack with 3500 miles on the engine for 27k (not even figuring in tag/title/tax if I tried to swap cars). Besides, I just like the idea of having more of a unique car.

Everyone’s situation is different. No correct canned answer fits everyone’s predicament or preference.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Seems my Honda Civic comment went over some heads so let me clarify, it is a metaphor actually to a lighter weight car with nowhere near the horsepower and torque getting traction off the line on the street, while the high powered car does not and spins.

A friend took me out in a Hellcat Redeye to show off, he accelerated from a dead stop tires were spinning and we were barely moving, it never got traction until he let off. No matter how he tried the results were the same, I told him my 5.7 would stomp this car on the street off the line, and he said yes this is literally a stock manufactured race car, it would devour your 5.7 at the strip with drag radials, but not on the street.

My car was there so I did not have a problem proving it to him if he so desired, but he was not going to do it, and personally I don't blame him. If I had a Hellcat Redeye I would not want to be beat by a naturally aspirated 5.7 on the street either.

Regarding a 5.7 as you increase power to the engine, you also increase torque to the rear end, and your traction gets less and less as the power increases, unless you beef up the rear end to handle it! Simple as that!

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,207 Posts
Seems my Honda Civic comment went over some heads so let me clarify, it is a metaphor actually to a lighter weight car with nowhere near the horsepower and torque getting traction off the line on the street, while the high powered car does not and spins.

A friend took me out in a Hellcat Redeye to show off, he accelerated from a dead stop tires were spinning and we were barely moving, it never got traction until he let off. No matter how he tried the results were the same, I told him my 5.7 would stomp this car on the street off the line, and he said yes this is literally a stock manufactured race car, it would devour your 5.7 at the strip with drag radials, but not on the street.

My car was there so I did not have a problem proving it to him if he so desired, but he was not going to do it, and personally I don't blame him. If I had a Hellcat Redeye I would not want to be beat by a naturally aspirated 5.7 on the street either.

Regarding a 5.7 as you increase power to the engine, you also increase torque to the rear end, and your traction gets less and less as the power increases, unless you beef up the rear end to handle it! Simple as that!
You're comment didn't go over people's heads, you're point was clear and understood.. Most responded stating they knew they needed more tire with the power increase. I myself went with wider summer/performance tires the same time I added the SC.

No intention to dispute your point as it is valid, I personally was just trying to point out there is more to adding power than just trying to run a stright line. Should also point out the way you delivered your message was a little abrasive and may have put some people on the definsive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You're comment didn't go over people's heads, you're point was clear and understood.. Most responded stating they knew they needed more tire with the power increase. I myself went with wider summer/performance tires the same time I added the SC.

No intention to dispute your point as it is valid, I personally was just trying to point out there is more to adding power than just trying to run a stright line. Should also point out the way you delivered your message was a little abrasive and may have put some people on the definsive.

Understood! No Problemo! :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeah, I understood the point of getting the power to the ground as well. Fortunately my car already had LSD when I got it and I added 295 rear tires - although just for looks. But again, I don’t like to launch from a dead stop anyway. Roll-on power is fun too.

Along the lines of your point, I remember when I WAS a street/strip racer in my hopped-up 77 Camaro (when I was much younger). I had posi-traction, wide tires, a lighter car and Nitrous that I didn’t hit until after I was all hooked up - thus I could routinely beat my younger brother in his 1970 Chevelle SS396 - as he would just burn those skinny tires for half the track.

He was always charging up hard behind me by the end of the track but just ran out of room.
He and I both well knew that the only reason I ever won was because I would get the jump on him at the line. His car was a heavy massive torque monster with relatively skinny tires that couldn’t get off the line and thus wasn’t suited for drag racing. But I absolutely loved driving his car - he and my Dad (Ok, mostly my dad) had built that engine and it was a BEAST. It was fun in its own right. Something to be said for lighting them up at 40 mph. Different kind of grins.

Big fun back then.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,073 Posts
He didn't say start in second gear, he said "by the time the car hits second gear."

I understand where you are going with this but the car stills moves forward even with tire spin. It doesn't sit there motionless. I think you are envisioning a burn out.

Additionally there are so many more uses of the additional horsepower than trying to race a Honda Civic in a straight line... ;)

I thought that was referring to me, if so I DID start in 2nd gear. If not, never mine, nothing to see here.

·
Registered
2021 F8 Green Scat Pack Shaker
190 Posts
Yeah, I understood the point of getting the power to the ground as well. Fortunately my car already had LSD when I got it and I added 295 rear tires - although just for looks. But again, I don’t like to launch from a dead stop anyway. Roll-on power is fun too.

Along the lines of your point, I remember when I WAS a street/strip racer in my hopped-up 77 Camaro (when I was much younger). I had posi-traction, wide tires, a lighter car and Nitrous that I didn’t hit until after I was all hooked up - thus I could routinely beat my younger brother in his 1970 Chevelle SS396 - as he would just burn those skinny tires for half the track.

View attachment 1023937

He was always charging up hard behind me by the end of the track but just ran out of room.
He and I both well knew that the only reason I ever won was because I would get the jump on him at the line. His car was a heavy massive torque monster with relatively skinny tires that couldn’t get off the line and thus wasn’t suited for drag racing. But I absolutely loved driving his car - he and my Dad (Ok, mostly my dad) had built that engine and it was a BEAST. It was fun in its own right. Something to be said for lighting them up at 40 mph. Different kind of grins.

Big fun back then.
"He and I both well knew that the only reason I ever won was because I would get the jump on him at the line."
And the nitrous didn't hurt either... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I thought that was referring to me, if so I DID start in 2nd gear. If not, never mine, nothing to see here.
OIC.. Apologies, when you said "second, once in second" I was thinking you meant once it shifts to second gear.

Hopefully I didn't come across as too argumentative. While Rys Black Beauty makes a good point I was just trying to point out there is more to adding power than just racing a straight line.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,073 Posts
OIC.. Apologies, when you said "second, once in second" I was thinking you meant once it shifts to second gear.

Hopefully I didn't come across as too argumentative. While Rys Black Beauty makes a good point I was just trying to point out there is more to adding power than just racing a straight line.
No biggie, that's for sure. I'm not even sure how I worded it, I will look back and maybe clarify it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
He mentions 2.75"+ catback exhaust. Aren't 2017+ 5.7's equipped with 2.75" from the catback already or is that only from the AE back?

·
Registered
27 Posts
This month's Car and Driver makes an excellent point about aftermarket mods: no money spent is better than that spent for a weekend of high performance driving classes. It will increase your speed more than any mod.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went with 2009 5.7 Nag-1 in 2008 and zero option sunroof with lighter cloth interior. Can't forget Speed Logic billet Moroso catch can at 1,400 miles to keep intake/heads clean. Just installed 20" Ultra High Performance (UHP) General G-Max RS summer tires (they stick like glue with 45K mile warranty). Also grabbed new 120 pound wife for my recent weight reduction. Only other thing that added HP was our 5.7 turned out to be factory Frankenstein Motor - so there's that variable at no cost. lol
What is a Frankenstein motor?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
What is a Frankenstein motor?
Some early Gen III HEMIs left factory in 2008/2009 with higher hp outputs than most. Sometimes 50-70+ hp over factory specs and those engines were coined Freak Motors by gearheads. My 5.7 was supposed to have 372 hp but pushes more like 450 at the crank. I don't mind having extra hp for jumping on freeways and rolling sprints. Yet tapping gas too much and not paying attention either means soon to be bald rear tires or 100+ mph speeding tickets. Other factor here is my low option R/T car only weighs 3,920 lbs and not 4.500 lbs like current offerings.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,841 Posts
Um, you have any documentation on this? First I have ever heard that story...

A Guy

61 - 80 of 90 Posts