Dodge Challenger Forum banner

221 - 240 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
There was a time, back in the late 90s, when I wanted to have a clean car to put in car shows. I thought it'd be a neat thing, and an accomplishment. However, having even just $500.00 in the bank was a rare event that might happen a few times a year back then. So needless to say, not much ever got done with making a show car.

Then one day, I realized the truth. No one gives a crap. People may pause by your car, look at it closely, and think "wow, that's nice", and meander on down the aisle to see other cars, your car is forgotten as quickly as they found it. Plus, I had no desire to sit in the hot sun all day long on the off chance I would win some cheap plastic trophy. And even if I DID win, you can't put a tank of gas in the car or pay the rent with a trophy, so it is pretty darn useless.

I have rarely been to a car show since, and I don't miss it.

And I always HATED how they would blast the same loud music from the 50s and 60s all day long at car shows, and there'd always be 3 or 4 1950s Chevys with the ultra original name "Peggy Sue" on the air cleaner or a display sign by the car. That stuff got old real quick.:notallthere:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I go to car shows You meet a lot of people If you have a newer car no mater what kind it is I think it should be in a different bracket like 2000 and newer that way it's fair for everybody. Because I have both I know how much work it goes in the older classic cars.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It should be more about the experience than winning the show, just go to meet people and have a good time, if you win first place so be it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
I thought car shows were intended for "classics".
It depends what type of car show you attend. Many are restricted to classics, others, like local fund raisers, are open to all cars. The best for us, are car shows with various classes, including one for "newer cars."

Here are two informative articles of how car shows are organized and how they are judged (i.e., the rules).

http://www.walkerdowney.com/cartips/how-to-organize-a-car-show.pdf

http://wegoweb.org/WEGOCarShowRules.pdf

·
Registered
15 Posts
All the best mods won't matter if there isn't an appropriate class for your Challenger. Either modern muscle or 90's and up. Personally, I get way more interest in my heavily modded Challenger than my 69 Shelby. Truth is younger folks could care less about the old stuff. I do pretty well at shows, but I also like to let kids get in, take photos sitting in it, etc. Have fun, meet some folks and if you win a trophy, that's icing on the cake.

·
Registered
670 Posts
keep it clean and simple, show boards help. I took 2nd in my class at 2016 Don Garlits Mopar show, and best in show at inverness shoe last month.
just my 2 cents

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
CAR SHOW HOOD, Trunk DOOR STOPS / PROPS

Hey All, you were a huge help on the recommendation of the Sto N Show for the Scat Pack...

Have you all a lync/ contact for some Car show door stops / Props... hood / Trunk ones similarly?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hey All, you were a huge help on the recommendation of the Sto N Show for the Scat Pack...

Have you all a lync/ contact for some Car show door stops / Props... hood / Trunk ones similarly?

Contact Ken from 3GCustomz. Tell him Todd from NJ sent you. He will hook you up. Great guy with great prices and can make anything you can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,123 Posts
Contact Ken from 3GCustomz. Tell him Todd from NJ sent you. He will hook you up. Great guy with great prices and can make anything you can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a nice hood prop.
Do you know the woman in your avatar or just a pic off the net?

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ordered them last night.... thanks for the advice... do they come with the pins that go in the latches? on the web i see the standoff part with a hole but Im assuming that you get a screw and pin of sort to go into actual latch?

these are awesome

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Car shows are fun and you get to meet a lot of great people. I love to stand back from my ride and watch the people looking at it. AI few just keep walking, most stop and scratch their heads trying to figure it out, and about 1 out of 10 realize there is a supercharger under the Shaker scoop. The later are easy to tell, because they'll go look at the interior, and especially the gauges on the A-pillar. :grin2:

BTW, I prefer shows where there is no judging, just a lot of folks having a great time.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Car shows are fun and you get to meet a lot of great people. I love to stand back from my ride and watch the people looking at it. A few just keep walking, most stop and scratch their heads trying to figure it out, and about 1 out of 10 realize there is a super charge under the Shaker scoop. The later are easy to tell, because they'll go look at the interior, and especially the gauges on the A-pillar. :grin2:

BTW, I prefer shows where there is no judging, just a lot of folks having a great time.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Car shows are fun and you get to meet a lot of great people. I love to stand back from my ride and watch the people looking at it. A few just keep walking, most stop and scratch their heads trying to figure it out, and about 1 out of 10 realize there is a super charge under the Shaker scoop. The later are easy to tell, because they'll go look at the interior, and especially the gauges on the A-pillar. :grin2:

We also like going to no judging events our monthly cruzins / cars and coffee
We have meet some great people
And talking about people scratching there heads ,,when my buddy parks next us at the cruzins
It also draws a crowd ,,

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's all in the details!

I had never entered a car show until 2012. By then I had done a few mods, etc. I worked on my detailing skills and started looking closely at other cars at shows. What surprised me then, and still surprises me now is how dirty some cars are. The number one thing I hear at meets and shows is how clean my car is. That is a great compliment, seeing is has over 97k miles on it. Just last year at an all Mopar event, I was judged Best in Show by the other car clubs. It was VERY cool.

So, make sure everything is clean. Interior, under the hood, behind the wheels (I just recently pulled all 4 wheels off and used organic acid to clean and wax), wheels wells, etc. I use Stoner Trim Shine for all of my plastic, wheel wells, around my grill and taillight trim. White plastic really makes our cars show their age.
I have an email with all of the products and steps I use. PM me with your email if you are interested.

Cheers!

Even made the poster for this year's show!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
We also like going to no judging events our monthly cruzins / cars and coffee
We have meet some great people
And talking about people scratching there heads ,,when my buddy parks next us at the cruzins
It also draws a crowd ,,
I am so friggin tired of not being able to see the thumb nails any more. I have no idea what what's in the one you posted here. It's so bad that I only visit once a month or less now. :(

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
I am so friggin tired of not being able to see the thumb nails any more. I have no idea what what's in the one you posted here. It's so bad that I only visit once a month or less now. :(
Hope you see it

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that cannot see the thumbnails some times.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I can't see the thumb nails either. What is going on with this web site.

221 - 240 of 265 Posts
About this Discussion
264 Replies
134 Participants
Pioneer4x4
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing