Dodge Challenger Forum banner

261 - 268 of 268 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
I go to car shows with my old iron (59 Chevy 54 Plymouth) . I have only once in my 7 years of proud ownership of my Pitch Black Challenger entered it in a car show. Bone stock In El Reno Ok (Old town weekend) car show. Won BEST MOPAR

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
I go to car shows with my old iron (59 Chevy 54 Plymouth) . I have only once in my 7 years of proud ownership of my Pitch Black Challenger entered it in a car show. Bone stock In El Reno Ok (Old town weekend) car show. Won BEST MOPAR
That's great. In New Jersey, however, there are tons of Challengers. You don't stand a chance of winning anything unless your car is heavily modified or you are with a car club.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,182 Posts
I never really go to car "Shows" but more like "Cruises". I get sickened by the new stuff that is basically, "HEY, look what I installed (by peeling off 3M red backing) type of "mods". I like some graphics, but most, nope. I like oddball old stuff at shows, and usable stuff. I enjoy my 1967 El Camino, and there isn't anything special about looking at it, and underhood looks eh...
Show me a HEMI in a Prowler or a big block Corvair, and I'll spend my time looking at it.
One little show I was at last weekend had a Mustang something special, uh, hmm, wait...
Oh yeah, it was a Roush. Do you know how I new it was a Roush? I read it on the car, TWENTY NINE FRIGGIN TIMES, each wheel, 3 plaques, each tail pipe, headrests, HOOD HINGES??? , I'm sure I missed a dozen or so, but I counted 29 "Roush" instances, it was "Roushcharged" or "Roushified" or some damn thing. I bet the tire treads would leave the word "Roush" across the legs of bystanders as well.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I never really go to car "Shows" but more like "Cruises". I get sickened by the new stuff that is basically, "HEY, look what I installed (by peeling off 3M red backing) type of "mods". I like some graphics, but most, nope. I like oddball old stuff at shows, and usable stuff. I enjoy my 1967 El Camino, and there isn't anything special about looking at it, and underhood looks eh...
Show me a HEMI in a Prowler or a big block Corvair, and I'll spend my time looking at it.
One little show I was at last weekend had a Mustang something special, uh, hmm, wait...
Oh yeah, it was a Roush. Do you know how I new it was a Roush? I read it on the car, TWENTY NINE FRIGGIN TIMES, each wheel, 3 plaques, each tail pipe, headrests, HOOD HINGES??? , I'm sure I missed a dozen or so, but I counted 29 "Roush" instances, it was "Roushcharged" or "Roushified" or some damn thing. I bet the tire treads would leave the word "Roush" across the legs of bystanders as well.
Did you get any video of the Roush Mustang crashing as it left the show ?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,182 Posts
Did you get any video of the Roush Mustang crashing as it left the show ?
Nice, you got a chuckle out of me on that one. Like a guy on YouTube I saw, created the nickname for them of "Crowd Slayer" like a G.O.T. name.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you drive your car 200 or miles to a car show; there is no way to get it as clean as a trailer queen. So just enjoy the car show.
But it's still possible to get it cleaner than the locals.

I used to do sport compact shows back in the early 2000's. I'd drive from CNY down to places like englishtown and Trenton and end up placing or winning my class. It just takes some extra elbow grease before judging to clean them back up.

That and I was up against a bunch of other 20something dudes who really didn't know much about detailing or doing things tastefully. My competitors treated the mild categories like an AutoZone gift card Bonanza. I did things like reupholster door inserts, seats, paint bezels that were difficult to remove. Oddly enough, my interior then looked a lot like the red option package interior of my current scat pack.
My modification philosophy was to think of it more along the lines of making the car closer to the concept cars we drooled over and fixing the compromises that the bean counters and production engineers made the artists change. If I was going to change something it had to look like it belonged there.

I agree with almost all the tips so far. Keep it consistent ("theme"). Keep it clean. Have fun. And yes it becomes very addictive. Even my wife got way in to it. She loved the road trips, helping prep, seeing the cars and meeting people.

Collecting plastic trophies mattered less than actually winning. Let's face it most car people are competitive. I may be there to have fun, and I'm not gonna get bent out of shape if I lose, but... I'm damn sure gonna try and win.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know that many of us have entered their Challengers in car shows.

For those of you who have won trophies, what were the mods that made you car stand out from the rest of the pack?
I won first place for Challengers/Chargers in the very first show I entered. I use only Mopar parts and ensured my SP was spotless. That’s the only thing I’ve done so far and it has worked well.

261 - 268 of 268 Posts