Dodge Challenger Forum banner

261 - 280 of 281 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I go to car shows with my old iron (59 Chevy 54 Plymouth) . I have only once in my 7 years of proud ownership of my Pitch Black Challenger entered it in a car show. Bone stock In El Reno Ok (Old town weekend) car show. Won BEST MOPAR

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
I go to car shows with my old iron (59 Chevy 54 Plymouth) . I have only once in my 7 years of proud ownership of my Pitch Black Challenger entered it in a car show. Bone stock In El Reno Ok (Old town weekend) car show. Won BEST MOPAR
That's great. In New Jersey, however, there are tons of Challengers. You don't stand a chance of winning anything unless your car is heavily modified or you are with a car club.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,004 Posts
I never really go to car "Shows" but more like "Cruises". I get sickened by the new stuff that is basically, "HEY, look what I installed (by peeling off 3M red backing) type of "mods". I like some graphics, but most, nope. I like oddball old stuff at shows, and usable stuff. I enjoy my 1967 El Camino, and there isn't anything special about looking at it, and underhood looks eh...
Show me a HEMI in a Prowler or a big block Corvair, and I'll spend my time looking at it.
One little show I was at last weekend had a Mustang something special, uh, hmm, wait...
Oh yeah, it was a Roush. Do you know how I new it was a Roush? I read it on the car, TWENTY NINE FRIGGIN TIMES, each wheel, 3 plaques, each tail pipe, headrests, HOOD HINGES??? , I'm sure I missed a dozen or so, but I counted 29 "Roush" instances, it was "Roushcharged" or "Roushified" or some damn thing. I bet the tire treads would leave the word "Roush" across the legs of bystanders as well.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I never really go to car "Shows" but more like "Cruises". I get sickened by the new stuff that is basically, "HEY, look what I installed (by peeling off 3M red backing) type of "mods". I like some graphics, but most, nope. I like oddball old stuff at shows, and usable stuff. I enjoy my 1967 El Camino, and there isn't anything special about looking at it, and underhood looks eh...
Show me a HEMI in a Prowler or a big block Corvair, and I'll spend my time looking at it.
One little show I was at last weekend had a Mustang something special, uh, hmm, wait...
Oh yeah, it was a Roush. Do you know how I new it was a Roush? I read it on the car, TWENTY NINE FRIGGIN TIMES, each wheel, 3 plaques, each tail pipe, headrests, HOOD HINGES??? , I'm sure I missed a dozen or so, but I counted 29 "Roush" instances, it was "Roushcharged" or "Roushified" or some damn thing. I bet the tire treads would leave the word "Roush" across the legs of bystanders as well.
Did you get any video of the Roush Mustang crashing as it left the show ?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Did you get any video of the Roush Mustang crashing as it left the show ?
Nice, you got a chuckle out of me on that one. Like a guy on YouTube I saw, created the nickname for them of "Crowd Slayer" like a G.O.T. name.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you drive your car 200 or miles to a car show; there is no way to get it as clean as a trailer queen. So just enjoy the car show.
But it's still possible to get it cleaner than the locals.

I used to do sport compact shows back in the early 2000's. I'd drive from CNY down to places like englishtown and Trenton and end up placing or winning my class. It just takes some extra elbow grease before judging to clean them back up.

That and I was up against a bunch of other 20something dudes who really didn't know much about detailing or doing things tastefully. My competitors treated the mild categories like an AutoZone gift card Bonanza. I did things like reupholster door inserts, seats, paint bezels that were difficult to remove. Oddly enough, my interior then looked a lot like the red option package interior of my current scat pack.
My modification philosophy was to think of it more along the lines of making the car closer to the concept cars we drooled over and fixing the compromises that the bean counters and production engineers made the artists change. If I was going to change something it had to look like it belonged there.

I agree with almost all the tips so far. Keep it consistent ("theme"). Keep it clean. Have fun. And yes it becomes very addictive. Even my wife got way in to it. She loved the road trips, helping prep, seeing the cars and meeting people.

Collecting plastic trophies mattered less than actually winning. Let's face it most car people are competitive. I may be there to have fun, and I'm not gonna get bent out of shape if I lose, but... I'm damn sure gonna try and win.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I know that many of us have entered their Challengers in car shows.

For those of you who have won trophies, what were the mods that made you car stand out from the rest of the pack?
I won first place for Challengers/Chargers in the very first show I entered. I use only Mopar parts and ensured my SP was spotless. That’s the only thing I’ve done so far and it has worked well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I know that many of us have entered their Challengers in car shows.

For those of you who have won trophies, what were the mods that made you car stand out from the rest of the pack?
I guess this thread has been around for awhile. More than mods is cleanliness. I have been fortunate enough to win my fair share of trophies over the last 8 years. More than anything else I hear, "your car is the cleanest I have ever seen!" With 115k+ miles, I have wiped my car down thousands of times. Wheels, tires, and wheel wells are a must. The first two pictures attached below are from Sunday, March 24th, 2020.
Suggestions, when you are at car shows, look at the winners. What sets them apart? Find out what others do to keep their cars pristine. Knowledge beats throwing mods at it everytime. Don't get me wrong, I have spent $1000's on mods. But a spotless, clean car will attract judges and car people alike.
P.S. I have attached my trophy picture. It's not bragging if you can prove it. Lol...
IMG_20200524_123139.jpg
IMG_20200524_123058.jpg
IMG_20200315_131840.jpg

IMG_20200522_134519.jpg
IMG_20190413_130920.jpg

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
...More than anything else I hear, "your car is the cleanest I have ever seen!" With 115k+ miles, I have wiped my car down thousands of times. Wheels, tires, and wheel wells are a must...
...Suggestions, when you are at car shows, look at the winners. What sets them apart? Find out what others do to keep their cars pristine. Knowledge beats throwing mods at it everytime. Don't get me wrong, I have spent $1000's on mods. But a spotless, clean car will attract judges and car people alike...
I agree, (also why I will never win anything, I don't clean everything that way.
Also, something to set your car apart from the crowd, and done well. If you change or add something, make it so that it looks like the factory would have done it. Don't offend the purists, and people will notice.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree, (also why I will never win anything, I don't clean everything that way.
Also, something to set your car apart from the crowd, and done well. If you change or add something, make it so that it looks like the factory would have done it. Don't offend the purists, and people will notice.
Exactly! Most people think I should be offended when people ask me if my car is stock but I take it as a compliment.

Reactions: Pioneer4x4

·
Registered
431 Posts
You're right on! The parts I've used are all strictly OEM Mopar parts. So, with the mods I have, its's only Mopar and anyone who views it at the shows, typically believe it's all stock. The Mopar purists know, but they like the look and know everything is still only Mopar.
IMG_0443.JPG

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Also, I have very little interest in a paid/judged car show. I may attend just as a donation to a charity, but I prefer informal car cruises.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Big Block Corvair!!! Now you're talking. I've seen a few small blocks in the back seat but it's a CRAZY MAN who goes Big Block. Hard to imagine the trans axle could handle it for long. I'd love to see how that issue would be resolved.

Stupid COOL cars most people have never seen. That "crown kit" to get it in there worked and there are still quite a few of these little 2,700pd terrors out there even today.

In a wide world of engine swaps that are indeed pretty numerous and varied.......the V8 Corvairs are still the CRAZIEST and yield the most amazing transformations that actually result in something incredibly effective. Ralph Nader thought the 1960-64 Corvair deserved it's own Chapter in his book revealing Detroit's indifference to safety, "unsafe at any speed". Imagine if he'd seen one of the many 1965-69 models "converted" by an owner with a 300+ HP V8 engine INSIDE the passenger compartment before writing the book.

Chevrolet has finally given customers a mid-engine design for purchase here in 2020.........but 50 years ago no small number of it's Corvair owners beat them to punch in creating that perfect balance design in an fully independent suspension car.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Big Block Corvair!!! Now you're talking. I've seen a few small blocks in the back seat but it's a CRAZY MAN who goes Big Block. Hard to imagine the trans axle could handle it for long. I'd love to see how that issue would be resolved.

Stupid COOL cars most people have never seen. That "crown kit" to get it in there worked and there are still quite a few of these little 2,700pd terrors out there even today.

In a wide world of engine swaps that are indeed pretty numerous and varied.......the V8 Corvairs are still the CRAZIEST and yield the most amazing transformations that actually result in something incredibly effective. Ralph Nader thought the 1960-64 Corvair deserved it's own Chapter in his book revealing Detroit's indifference to safety, "unsafe at any speed". Imagine if he'd seen one of the many 1965-69 models "converted" by an owner with a 300+ HP V8 engine INSIDE the passenger compartment before writing the book.

Chevrolet has finally given customers a mid-engine design for purchase here in 2020.........but 50 years ago no small number of it's Corvair owners beat them to punch in creating that perfect balance design in an fully independent suspension car.
I still remember that one I saw north of Pittsburgh. I think it had a 427. It was in every way a Ford GT killer, serious work of art and engineering.
If I don't sell my El Camino, maybe I'll stick a 500ci Cadillac in it. I have always wanted to.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I still remember that one I saw north of Pittsburgh. I think it had a 427. It was in every way a Ford GT killer, serious work of art and engineering.
If I don't sell my El Camino, maybe I'll stick a 500ci Cadillac in it. I have always wanted to.
Yeah, I'm wayyyyy outta date. Last Mid engine V8 Corvair "swap" I was in happened in the early 1980s. I was a "crown engineering" Kit. Remarkable results for the least effort you can get away with in building one of these cars. What you got was a pretty crazy build that handled like it was on rails but it certainly wouldn't be much fun as a daily driver. Crammed forward to make room for the SBC in the back seat....anyone over 5'6" tall struggles to find leg room. Power levels were also limited by how far you'd be willing to ask the stock trans-axle in the car to handle it vs the air cooled 6 cylinder engine it was originally designed for.

This car in the Scotty TV video is a more modern and well thought out take on the original theme. It works even better. The trans-axle problem fixed and so too is the CRAMMED seating position I remember so well.

I don't care what you bring to the auto-cross for a car........if this guy is there too.........you're racing the rest of the attendees in the crowd for a chance to claim 2nd place.

At the end of the video description is a 1 minute long ride through the cones.

Here is a video that shows how these cars are far from gone.......quite a few still running around with the V8 in the back seat and even one with it stuffed in where the original flat six cylinder was. BTW- your 427 powered car in this video comes up at the mid way point but it's not a big block it's a stroked SBC. Gotta like the retained original 110HP badging with a "X5" pasted underneath for accuracy.

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
21 Posts
I guess this thread has been around for awhile. More than mods is cleanliness. I have been fortunate enough to win my fair share of trophies over the last 8 years. More than anything else I hear, "your car is the cleanest I have ever seen!" With 115k+ miles, I have wiped my car down thousands of times. Wheels, tires, and wheel wells are a must. The first two pictures attached below are from Sunday, March 24th, 2020.
Suggestions, when you are at car shows, look at the winners. What sets them apart? Find out what others do to keep their cars pristine. Knowledge beats throwing mods at it everytime. Don't get me wrong, I have spent $1000's on mods. But a spotless, clean car will attract judges and car people alike.
P.S. I have attached my trophy picture. It's not bragging if you can prove it. Lol... View attachment 994358 View attachment 994357 View attachment 994355
View attachment 994356 View attachment 994359
Beautiful vehicle sir. I'd love to learn a little more about the underhood cosmetics. Did you order those parts or use some special process (or a combo) to get that look?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Beautiful vehicle sir. I'd love to learn a little more about the underhood cosmetics. Did you order those parts or use some special process (or a combo) to get that look?
The parts were originally all polished stainless steel from American Car Craft. They literally scratch when you breath on them, so after awhile I just started to cover the really bad pieces with carbon fiber vinyl.
Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,680 Posts
Looking good (y)

A Guy

261 - 280 of 281 Posts