Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I try to make a local show about once a month.
Just love seeing the cars and attention some folks give them.
taking your car to shows will certainly get you to pay more attention to detailing

I have been told a visible extinguisher and first aid kit is a plus...don't know for sure

recently won a top 25 award (my first car trophy btw) with only a few cosmetic mods. car was not even as clean as I wanted it but did the best I could with available time

Reactions: challydood

·
Registered
375 Posts
very clean engine bay, that would score well with most unbiased judges. were did you get the covers from?
The covers are from 3GCUSTOMZ

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Just a couple of quick questions with regards to how to display all of the cars documentation............I have all of the info and more (as my salesman knew from the start that my SRT8 Furious Fuchsia 6 speed was going to be showed and kept till the end of my life).

1. Did you laminate the documents and then make a book or have you done something else?
  2. Did you make copies of the original documents and display the copies, while keeping the original in a "safe" at home?
Thanks in advance.
I made copies of the originals, I display the window sticker in a shadow box along with dash plaques and a 1/64 (Match Box size) scale replica of the car. Got that Idea from a Challenger owner at the last show I entered. I had a binder when I had my '78 Vette and the judges liked looking through it. I learned that in the Vette Car Show world documentation is everything.

At my last show they had a guy looking at my car and he told his wife " In 20 years these are the cars that will be top dog in these shows".

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've had my IE in 4 judged shows since I got it in February. I have won best of class in one, and 1st place in another. Both categories are '80's to present original car. Aside from keeping the car squeaky clean (not hard in AZ), I've put some Billet Tech bling in the engine bay, a Mopar T-handle shifter and stainless door sills. I've also prepared two laminated sheets describing the car's features which I put on both sides of the dash. Ralph Gilles signed my car at the Spring Festival of LX's so that's always a conversation piece. The IE in general generates a lot of conversation, and people really like the white interior with the embroidered seats.

I agree with all of the others who say that a clean engine bay is very important! BTW, I also won two trophies with my 09 R/T which I had for two years, so it's not all about the IE. I've been to a lot of car shows, and the best part is the friends you make. Winning is a bonus.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
I showed cars for 20 years, mostly Corvettes.
Cleanliness usually wins in these shows. Mods can hurt you since stock is the rule today.
I spent $$$ on a Caravaggio Connelly full custom leather interior including dash, doors, seats only to lose to a stock 58 Corvette with vinyl seats.
Don't be disappointed if you lose, it's politics just like everything else.
I did win several shows, sometimes with 2 cars, a 2000 modified C5 Corvette and a 95 Corvette ZR-1. Same show next year, nothing!
Never showed my Challenger, I guess I lost interest.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you drive your car 200 or miles to a car show; there is no way to get it as clean as a trailer queen. So just enjoy the car show.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I built my last 3 cars with showing in mind. ('63 Impala, '72 Challenger, '90 Maxima). The import the most. Every show won trophies. The cars become un-enjoyable because I was afraid to drive/enjoy them for fear of dirt or damage. I never respected the new cars being showed because I always viewed it as "anyone can write a check, a real show car is built not bought". That way of thinking proved to be short-sighted as I learned that it is about the love of the car and enjoyment of the hobby and not some sense of one-upmanship. I have met so many people who felt more pride in their "purchased" car than I in my "built" car.

The trophies gather dust and mean nothing. The connection to the vehicle and the enjoyment of the hobby is all that should matter. Build your car to feed your pleasure. Don't worry what others' think and don't look for approval in a piece of plastic that sits on the shelf. Look for approval in the smile you get when you enjoy your car.

·
Banned
324 Posts
I have been to several cruise in shows, they're free and all about showing off the car/trucks. I like judged shows but hate it when someone buys a brand new car off the show room floor and brings it to a car show and wins a first place trophy with absolutely nothing done to it mods wise. I enter mine at all of them but couldnt care less if I win or not, all about the show and not the awards. Now I have a few minor mods and a long way to go to be more eye appealing but Im not 100% bone stock.

·
Registered
323 Posts
trying to figure out what to do with all my old trophies. have thought about putting them on ebay and seeing if someone would actually buy them lol. with the way some people are these days i could see me selling them. then going to a car show the next year and seeing someone with a bunch of my old trohies around there car pretending they won them lol.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have entered my SE into three car shows... small ones mind you... not entering to win anything... more for the joy of showing it off to others that have not seen one up close and helping out charities (one in particular is for MS which my Mom has). Anyway.... I have added to my car:

Am. Racing Torq Thrust 20" wheels
Strobe rocker panel
Spoiler
Hood stripe
Chrome gas cap
SE badging on the front and back since Chrysler doesn't badge the SE's.

Caliper covers to match the color of my car are coming next week.

Clean, clean, clean! That always helps!

Beautiful Car
What are Strobe Rocker Panels?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Beautiful Car
What are Strobe Rocker Panels?
The Strobe Rocker Panels are actually the decals on the lower part of the door. You can get them from many different sources and are very easy to install.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello brother and sister challenger lovers. Im going to be entered in 2 car shows next week end and i have to choose the catagory to put my girl in , should it be muscle cars with all the old ones dumped in or should I enter in the stock section, hmmm which one is the best win lolit all about the fun! Thanks All!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hello brother and sister challenger lovers. Im going to be entered in 2 car shows next week end and i have to choose the catagory to put my girl in , should it be muscle cars with all the old ones dumped in or should I enter in the stock section, hmmm which one is the best win lolit all about the fun! Thanks All!
Both times I've won trophies it was in the "Original Car 1980-Present" category. Also, the judging was done by show attendees. One Trophy was Best in Class, and the other was 1st place in the class. But, it's all about the fun and comraderie of being with other car enthusiasts, not about winning.

·
Registered
323 Posts
007 for car shows every spring i do a search on indiana car shows. u would just use south carolina car shows. and see what pops up. usuallly from that search you can find sites that link you to other sites. i usually keep word open and just start copying and pasting info and url's in word and then go thru them for which ones i will try to enter.

I-red is your car stock? if you have not modified it or have modified it little enough to stay in the stock category i would enter that. as that would likely be the appropriate class. if you have modified that beyond the stock designation you could likely go under the muscle car class. every show is diffrent so always read thru all the classes available to you and find the one that is most appropriate for your car.

( a stock class usually means just that. stock,no changes from the factory, but ive seen at some shows where they qualify stock as being less then three modifications or something to that effect) so when you get to the show you can always ask the show promoters where they feel you best fit in.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
When I was younger and showing my Dakota R/T, I cared more about trophies. Nowadays, it's the spectators reactions to the car that's important to me. I love when a little kid gets all excited when he sees the Decepticon symbols and actually THINKS it's a 'con, or when an older person tells me that my car reminds them of what they drove 40 years ago in High School. Or, and I'll say it, when a beautiful girl tells me how hot my car is. Those are the kinds of responses that I like.

Now, on the flip side, I DO still compete occasionally. And while for some shows that are for charity, I don't care about winning or losing. But some shows are expensive to enter. I did XDC last year and it was $50 to enter. For a show like that, I'd expect fair and accurate judging. Of course that's not always the case. As other people have mentioned, just have fun and keep the car clean. As a Challenger owner, keeping the car clean is part of the 10 Commandments of ownership anyway!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Engine detail

Thanks for all the help! What's the best product you guys like to clean your engine compartment to look nice?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for all the help! What's the best product you guys like to clean your engine compartment to look nice?

I usually buy Meguiars or Mothers. just personal favorites of mine and since Meguiars has sponsored me in the past i have a few years worth of cleaning supplies still lol. ive found over the years that i use products from a few diffrent companies due to my own taste in products. but what i may use and like the next guy might not.

41 - 60 of 281 Posts