Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..let me hear what you put on your 5.7 r/t engine[only] wise and did you notice anything?.
example..

mines pretty much bone stock except k/n cold air intake..in my opinion a very noticeable diff..

wanting to do more..thinking throttle body,headers,tune,if i get into anything more ill just get a scatty..392

lets hear what ya did name brand where bought etc,,and any noticeable diff? thanks!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,371 Posts
If you want 6.4 power you are going to need to invest into more than just a throttle body, headers and a tune. A supercharger will get you there but you are looking at a +$7000 investment. A cam and heads will get you close but again it ain't going to be much cheaper than a supercharger unless you do the labor yourself. You could always do nitrous which is the least expensive option but good luck keeping your finger off the button.

In the end, you need to ask yourself what do you want to do with the car (drag, weekend warrior....) and what kind of gains are you looking for?

For example, I went the route of Magnuson supercharger, hell cat cam and LT headers which gives me plenty of power for a daily driver during the warmer seasons. More than I can use on the road and if I am not careful it will easily get me into trouble. If I was not handy enough to do all the work myself I would have seriously thought about getting a SP.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Depends what you want to do with the car.

Cheapest most powerful option is spraying the car. 100shot will put you at 392 power very safely (tuned right). Provided it’s legal in your state.
100 shot on my 5.7 car for 3 years street/strip use, works beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NiteFlyer

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Long tubes and a good dyno tune will probably be the best bang for the buck before you start opening the motor. R/T life on youtube is currently keeping up/gapping 6.4’s with a Custom cam, longtubes, and a dyno tune (along with a bigger intake manifold and some exhaust).

But for the most part, save your pennies to boost it

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,371 Posts
OP if you have $25 bucks to spare and would like to get up to speed performance on mods related to hemi engines this book is a good start.

BTW simply slapping on a supercharger can produce RWHP that is on par with the HP a 6.4 produces at the flywheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ok..let me hear what you put on your 5.7 r/t engine[only] wise and did you notice anything?.
example..

mines pretty much bone stock except k/n cold air intake..in my opinion a very noticeable diff..

wanting to do more..thinking throttle body,headers,tune,if i get into anything more ill just get a scatty..392

lets hear what ya did name brand where bought etc,,and any noticeable diff? thanks!
As soon as I got my R/T 5.7 I put on a CAI and a Performance Chip. That's all I'm spending and I believe it did boost the power a bit, but not earth shattering. My next one will be the Scat Pack 392. Probably will do about the same thing. Throwing thousands into a car you just purchased doesn't make sense to me...but it's your money, whatever makes you happy. Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have owned my '12 Challenger R/T w/M6 trans and 5.7 hemi since purchasing the car new 7 years ago last month. I now have 118,700 reliable miles on it, no leaks, oil usage or anything, just normal maintenance with AmsOil lubricants and using factory Mopar coolant with a 180 deg. thermostat.
I am running K&N CAI w/Airaid dry filter on it, also installed a full SRT exhaust system from the heads back(headers are a PITA to do on these cars)including factory SRT mid pipes with cats in stock location and a Flowmaster American Thunder 3" cat back exhaust system(which really woke the car up), plus a Pedal Commander to get rid of the electronic throttle lag and make the car snappier(and more fun) to drive. Returns me 24 to 27 mpg on the highway with factory tune in it. A 93 octane tune is in the works whenever I get enough $$ to go get a Diablo or equivalent tuner unit.
I primarily use this car for road trips and an occasional drive around town, so have kept things conservatively tuned for longevity.

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
386 Posts
First year Cam, Headers, Throttle body, Getrag rear end and 6.4L Intake. Second year E-Force supercharger. Third year forged bottom with blower cam, SHR transmission, brakes. Fourth year heads and new tune. A lot of fun over the years since 2013, still runs great, not a drop of oil used. If you plan to keep the car forever you can do a lot to the 5.7L but the cost will add up. I did my mods like said in spurts as the itch to get more power hit.

FWIW, I have 315's on the rear and I have no use for the power I have now on the street. I like the torque at part throttle but you can get that with just a stroker build.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,371 Posts
I am sorry a +$200 CAI and $60 performance chip like PCR won't "add" power. If you want more power you need to either run more timing advance (i.e. high octane and a tune ) or add parts that improve the VE of the motor. Although if you just bought a car and plan to spend thousands out the gate you might as well have bought the next power level up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got a JLT intake, 87MM throttle body, and a custom cat back with Borla S-TYPE mufflers. Stock tune, the on board Horsepower meter sometimes shows a gain of up to 30 HP but sometimes it dosent show any gain. Power band definitely is better though, getting headers and a Dyno tune this summer to hopefully make it more consistent with the power difference. And that's about as much as you can get out of "cheap" bolt ons.
2015 5.7 Challenger with A8

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,371 Posts
I would not trust the head unit for power numbers especially if you changed the throttle body. The PCM torque model uses airflow tables that are calibrated to the original TB.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,371 Posts
Pherhaps, but nonetheless it has (along with much better tires) dropped the 0-60 by .4 seconds
Ah, better tires will definitely help at the track, although there was a member here that pulled the air filter and stated it might have improved his time ever so slightly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
example..

John,
As far as engine only, so far I've installed a K&N CAI, BBK short headers, and a JLT oil catch can. It's my understanding the oil catch can is more of a longevity item and does little to nothing for performance.

The CAI and headers may have given some performance gains, but what I like most are NOISES the CAI and Flowmaster system makes at wide open throte.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Like Most I have done a lot to it...
Got the Car in 2013 during my Deployment to Kuwait. Picked it up and for the 1st year didn't do much.

In 2014 i installed the Legmaker Intake and Modern Muscle 87mm Ported Throttle Body were the first and soon followed up with having the mid-mufflers replaced with Glass-Packs and rear mufflers replaced with Magna-flows. I wanted more, so I had the JBA titanium headers installed as well as a bung for the O2 Wideband Sensor welded on, a 190* t-stat (as I couldn't find a 180 at the time) along with a Custom tune from Diablotoona
In 2015 I had EMP installed the 6.4 OEM Camshaft and Ported Heads from Inertia Motorsports. I had the car dyno'd (it's floating around on this site somewhere) I think it was at 405 - 410hp and 410 - 415tq at the wheels). Around 2016 I switched to a Cervinis' T/A hood and intake system (replacing the legmaker intake). In 2018 I replaced the plastic intake manifold with a Edlebrock Victor II intake manifold. I have not had it re-dyno'd, so I don't know if I lost or gained anything by going with the Edlebrock, but it looks good in the engine bay. I will be getting the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit installed in the next couple of months, Didn't want to mess with coil-overs.

Now I am contemplating either going N/A and stroking her up a few notches to a 396, or sticking to the 5.7 getting some drop in forged pistons and getting a procharger s/c (P-1x or D-1x) installed. I do not track or race the car, I just do it for me. It's not a show car, nor do I care about bragging rights, because their is always someone with more money and more power out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts