Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats up guys i have a 2010 challenger RT with a 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty. I bought this car almost by myself at 17 and it could use power but i cant afford to lose the warranty i already put the mopar exhaust and intake on. does anyone please know where i can get some more power and maybe a little noise with out voiding warranty if possible?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Myth #1 - The dealer can void your warranty. Only the manufacturer can void your warranty. The dealer did not issue your warranty, the factory did. So only the factory can void it. Which leads us to...

Myth #2 - Mods will void my warranty. This is not necessarily true. In my 38 years in the car business, I never saw a warranty completely voided. I have seen powertrain warranties voided, but only in the case of extreme misuse, racing, NOS, etc. In each case there was major engine or transmission damage. And the rest of the car's warranty stayed intact.

Myth #3 - Mods will void my warranty, part 2. The factory can deny a warranty claim if they can prove that a modified part caused the failure. For example, if you do an engine mod and sustain engine damage, and they can prove that the mod caused the damage, then they can deny a warranty claim for the damage. However, if you, say, put a supercharger on your car, and you have a power window go out, they can't deny that claim since there's no reasonable way a supercharger can cause a power window to fail.

A big factor in the equation is the attitude of the dealership towards mods. Some are very strict, some offer more leeway. Almost none will go out on a limb very far and risk their standing with the factory, but some will help you out within reason. You'll have them on your side a lot more if you let them do all the service on your car. You'll build up a rapport with them, and they'll be more likely to help you out on down the road,.

The bottom line is, you do your mods and you take your chances. You just have to decide how much risk you can bear.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Same boat here, my R/T came with the Mopar CAI and Flowmasters installed. They were trying to up-sell the car. I got a lifetime warranty. I would like to get a Predator, but I have not received clear information if the dealer can detect a tune even if the stock one is put back in before service. Anyone with experience or concrete info?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Diablo sport swares that if the stock tune back in before you take the car back in to the dealer they can't tell that you had a performance tune in the car.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I got an email from them stating that if I have a canned tune in the car and put the stock one back in the factory can't tell. It's on their logo form. If you want a copy pm me your email address and I'll forward it. Or you can go to their forum and they;ll tell you the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I got an email from them stating that if I have a canned tune in the car and put the stock one back in the factory can't tell. It's on their logo form. If you want a copy pm me your email address and I'll forward it. Or you can go to their forum and they;ll tell you the same thing.
So your saying that there is no way for the dealer to "dir or ls" any of the active directories & check file dates?
And no log/event file anywhere. I find that pretty hard to believe.. it may even be a software 1st.

Maybe they need debug access, and just don't have it...
But I bet the event (restoring factory tune) is logged with a current time stamp somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
That's what I brought up to Diablosport and they say there isn't and I have no way to know what this computer is running I haven't seen any computer in 10 years you can't see that a file has been opened but if it doesn't show what was changed Dodge can't say what was changed and that it caused a problem. That's my guess as to why Diablosport insist that if a tune is replaced with the original tune prior to service that it won't void the warranty. Ask them your self. That's what I was told in email and on their forum.

·
Registered
323 Posts
id almost bet they could see that the computer was reflashed, they wont know what was on the flash but they will likely know it was reflashed. and if it was reflashed the day you bring it in for a repari that would look pretty fishy to the dealer. this is just my guess though.

and yes the manufacturer would have to prove that the actual aftermarket part caused the damage to the motor. but lets look at reality here. if this kid is 17 or 18 years old if something breaks and the dealer claims it was the part and wont cover the warantee your now looking at a lawsuit to fight the manufacturer/dealers claims which could means months of time lost waiting on a court date while your sitting there with a busted car. they may lose in the end but how much time and money will that cost you in the long run.

if your really worried about the warantee and not having any issues with the dealer i'd find aftermarket parts you can easily swap back to stock if your having motor problems. or just say screw it, mod the heck out of it and take yoru chances.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
truth: the dealer can void your warranty. all they have to do is flag you in the computer system and you're done. chrysler will back the dealer decision, not yours. you can fight this, but most likely you will lose.

if you are worried about voiding your warranty, then do not mess with the car period.

oh, and as far as diablo saying the dealer can't tell if you have/had a tune in it is sort of true, but mostly false. the dealer can tell when the PCM was flashed last. every authorized flash is logged with the dealer and chrysler. now if the dealer sees a recent flash that was not logged into the system, it means one thing. you have been doing your own flashes, which could void your warranty.

i have lost the warranty on two cars already. i know it happens. if you modify your car, just expect the worse with your warranty claims.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know a guy with a Charger that replaced the mufflers, converter went bad under 60k and he was denied because he changed the mufflers. Told him he modified the exhaust. I thought changing the mufflers after the cats was okay, the dealer even installs it. They given him the run around???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts