Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Where would you guys start with mods? Cold air intake? Exhaust? Shorty headers? 3.7 or 3.9 gears? I've heard so much I don't know where to begin. What I do know is the $ is burning a whole in my pocket, and I'm dying to start. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
There is virtually no power adding mods that won't potentially put your warranty at risk. A CIA and exhaust work behind the cats won't give you power. Exhaust work, cats forward will likely cause warranty issues and require a tune which will definitely put your warranty in jeopardy.

I don't know what engine you have but most of what I said holds true, unless you have a V6. I don't know anything about the V6.

I suggest better tires if you have a V8 car.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
I was recently informed (by a nosey neighbor and fellow challenger owner)
that if I was not washing my challengers in 'distilled" water, I would void my paint warranty....
If I didnt know any better, given Dodges propensity to void warranties over the smallest of mods, I'd thought he was telling the truth! :cautious:

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,497 Posts
I was recently informed (by a nosey neighbor and fellow challenger owner)
that if I was not washing my challengers in 'distilled" water, I would void my paint warranty....
If I didnt know any better, given Dodges propensity to void warranties over the smallest of mods, I'd thought he was telling the truth! :cautious:
That's true, I collect the water out of my dehumidifier to was my car w... No I can't I'm only kidding. :D

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
If you want to be 100% safe with your warranty, why not begin with cosmetic upgrades to the exterior, interior and engine bay? There are lots of things that you can do. Just to give you an idea, here is a photo of my 6.1 engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
CoachJ971,
Ok, to answer your question more seriously, most any mod you do to the power train &/or electrical systems will void one or more related warranties.
Wheels & more importantly - tires. These are the best change you can do with no warranty impact. Dodge factory options avail for the R/T and lower trims flat suck. Even upgrade to used oem scatpack or hellcat wheels and a solid performance radial, is going to be a huge improvement. Get locking lugs while your at it!
As stated, you can do exhaust mods ( muffs, tips, reso deletes), but only after the cat's. Be careful here however, many dealers, when you go to later sell or trade in, will not touch a car that has had any exhaust work done. You could also bump up against state emissions, if they apply. No real HP benefit, but you can certainly make the car sound like its got a damn hemi and not a eco 4banger.
Things like CAI are possible, sticking with factory mopar stuff is generally acceptable. The OEM hellcat lower air box & headlight tube is the best bang for your buck and will add as a general rule, around 5-7hp. The cars own adaptives will adjust for that very minor bump, as will running top grade fuels, like shell premium.
If you want a little more road perf out of your R/T without grinding off your warranty coverage, you can always remove weight. Spare tire assembly alone in a R/T is some 65lbs. Rear seat deleted, good for some 50lbs, resonators, good for 40+lbs each. New wheels and tires again, can shave off rotational weight over the factory ones...you get the idea. You are not adding HP, but removing weight, which has the same effect..kinda.
Pull too much out of the rear of the car however, can lead to serious wheel hop issues on the dry and slippery conditions on the wet.
Tuning of any kind, headers, cam, etc are a no-go.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CoachJ971,
Ok, to answer your question more seriously, most any mod you do to the power train &/or electrical systems will void one or more related warranties.
Wheels & more importantly - tires. These are the best change you can do with no warranty impact. Dodge factory options avail for the R/T and lower trims flat suck. Even upgrade to used oem scatpack or hellcat wheels and a solid performance radial, is going to be a huge improvement. Get locking lugs while your at it!
As stated, you can do exhaust mods ( muffs, tips, reso deletes), but only after the cat's. Be careful here however, many dealers, when you go to later sell or trade in, will not touch a car that has had any exhaust work done. You could also bump up against state emissions, if they apply. No real HP benefit, but you can certainly make the car sound like its got a damn hemi and not a eco 4banger.
Things like CAI are possible, sticking with factory mopar stuff is generally acceptable. The OEM hellcat lower air box & headlight tube is the best bang for your buck and will add as a general rule, around 5-7hp. The cars own adaptives will adjust for that very minor bump, as will running top grade fuels, like shell premium.
If you want a little more road perf out of your R/T without grinding off your warranty coverage, you can always remove weight. Spare tire assembly alone in a R/T is some 65lbs. Rear seat deleted, good for some 50lbs, resonators, good for 40+lbs each. New wheels and tires again, can shave off rotational weight over the factory ones...you get the idea. You are not adding HP, but removing weight, which has the same effect..kinda.
Pull too much out of the rear of the car however, can lead to serious wheel hop issues on the dry and slippery conditions on the wet.
Tuning of any kind, headers, cam, etc are a no-go.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the well thought out educated response. After reading your message, I ordered new rims and tires and the hellcat airbox. The car will be a gift to my son. " What kind of dad gives a stock Challenger to his kid" 🤣 Best of luck to you and thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Thanks for the well thought out educated response. After reading your message, I ordered new rims and tires and the hellcat airbox. The car will be a gift to my son. " What kind of dad gives a stock Challenger to his kid" 🤣 Best of luck to you and thanks again for your help.
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama. Your son is a lucky boy! I am also struggling with minor mods vs warranty. Seems to be subjective from dealer to dealer. The dealer where I bought my new 21' SPWB said "absolutely not" to any mods at all (mid muffler, shifter etc.) Going to talk to another dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2018 TA 392 M6; F8 Green
136 Posts
I‘ve owned 4 and mostly did exhaust (cat back) or cosmetic mods. However, my 2nd one was a car I purchased from the original owner and it was heavily modded. I knew that going in, I had to decide if I was going to worry about warranty being voided or take my chances. I took my chances. How many people have had their engines go kaput and needed the warranty? I’d say very few; having owned 4 with NO mechanical issues ever. On a new car - I’d be more concerned about the low odds of buying a lemon. But after owning it for a year or two, I’d start doing the mods and say “I’ll take my chances - I have enough $ in my savings to buy a new motor if I have to!”
Last thought (and it might contradict the above advice): the vast majority of people will never know how fast your car is; and if you don’t race - then no one will! But they all see your car and that is what impresses most people! Go with visual modifications to make his car “special” and wait for a few years before doing internal (engine) mods!

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I‘ve owned 4 and mostly did exhaust (cat back) or cosmetic mods. However, my 2nd one was a car I purchased from the original owner and it was heavily modded. I knew that going in, I had to decide if I was going to worry about warranty being voided or take my chances. I took my chances. How many people have had their engines go kaput and needed the warranty? I’d say very few; having owned 4 with NO mechanical issues ever. On a new car - I’d be more concerned about the low odds of buying a lemon. But after owning it for a year or two, I’d start doing the mods and say “I’ll take my chances - I have enough $ in my savings to buy a new motor if I have to!”
Last thought (and it might contradict the above advice): the vast majority of people will never know how fast your car is; and if you don’t race - then no one will! But they all see your car and that is what impresses most people! Go with visual modifications to make his car “special” and wait for a few years before doing internal (engine) mods!
That's some of the most sound advice I have had here. IMO. That's my concern, warranty issues. Only had my car 4 days. Just want to do a few things "for me", not go faster. Hell, it's a Scat. If that's not fast enough, I will trade up to a Hellcat!! I just want it to: Sound better, shift better and eliminate the skip shift. Seem innocuous enough. But the dealer where I bought it said they would void my power train warranty if I did. Not comfortable with that yet. Like you, Hey I got the $ but need a little more time with the machine before I am confident all is well. Going to talk to another dealer tomorrow! Thanks for your input!

Reactions: Maxedwell
1 - 13 of 13 Posts