Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 2009 Dodge Challenger that has moisture building up in the spare tire compartment where the battery and rear fuse box are located. It usually happens on colder days in the winter (60 degrees) after it has rained or snowed. I live in Seattle so we get a lot of rain. I haven't noticed any water leaking into the trunk, however, I sometimes feel like the spare tire cover in the trunk gets a little damp. I have no idea how it gets damp. I tried running a hose over my trunk while I was inside of it with a flashlight but nothing leaks onto it. I'm starting to think that the moisture from the spare tire compartment rises and gets the spare tire cover damp?

I attached a video below of the moisture that builds up INSIDE my rear power distribution center (trunk fuse box). Also, some of the moisture that builds up around my battery terminals.

Last year this caused my HVAC controls to completely stop working. All three relays in the rear power distribution center were so rusted I had to replace them all to get it working again.

If anyone has any advice on how to stop the moisture build up I'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
No actual water in the spare tire well? No modifications as far as running wires for a rear camera, etc.? No sun roof?

If you can discover no water intrusion, maybe some type of Desiccant to absorb moisture

A Guy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No actual water in the spare tire well? No modifications as far as running wires for a rear camera, etc.? No sun roof?

If you can discover no water intrusion, maybe some type of Desiccant to absorb moisture

A Guy

Hey guy,

No water in spare tire well. No mods for rear camera or aftermarket spoiler. I do have a sunroof. Last year one of the sunroof drain tubes came unplugged and the headliner in the cabin got soaked a bit. I was able to pull head liner down and plug it again. No problem since. Not sure if that problem is related

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
I just know some have had issues with leaks from sunroof showing up in trunk. If you find no water, it would have to be a very small amount. I'm not sure what would cause so much condensation with no moisture source. I imagine temperature swings are pretty common for many on this forum, and everyone doesn't have this issue

A Guy

Reactions: ONE L COOL J

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack; 2018 SXT
87 Posts
Aren't there typically body 'plugs' in the trunk floor of vehicles? I think those are holes from manufacturing which are then plugged up with a rubber grommet. Perhaps you are missing a grommet and outside moisture is coming in through the hole?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts