Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, we must say good by to my beautiful 15 Granite SRT. After just over 2 years and 35K on the clock, ponding water got me on Interstate 69 just North of Houston. We had heavy rain in Houston on Monday and after it had quit raining where I was, I re-engaged the cruise and set it for the speed limit just in case. I must have relaxed a little, maybe even looked down at the screen. Snap 90 degree turn to the right, stabbed the throttle to get her to keep going around but that did nothing and she took and set and nosed right into the outside Jersey Barrier. I've been driving for 40+ years and I have never felt a change of direction like this. There was seriously no warning.
GEICO let me know the other day she is a total loss. :frown: They did however give me a day to swap out my mods.

So now the look for a new ride. I'm in no hurry since I can be in a rental for work from now till about Nov 1.
Seen several 16 SRTs with 10K discounts out there. The amount I drive has me thinking a Hellcat isn't the right choice since I just wouldn't feel right putting those miles on it and the Tech package is still not offered. Not that all that safety stuff in the tech package helped me at all on Monday. :headbang:

I guess the lesson learned is keep that cruise control off in any rainy conditions.

If I don't get another challenger the following mods will be up for grabs...
KW adjustable springs, Drake upper tower brace, Speedlogix adjustable control arms, BWoody sway bar end links and a Drake black billet fuel door. All of these will most probably be available at the SCLX Lonestar Moparfest in Oct. By then I should have made the call on replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
Coming soon to Cleveland Power and Performance possibly.

It amazes me what is a total loss these days, they don't seem to look too bad.

Glad you're ok. Good deals out there on 17s now not just 16s.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Well, we must say good by to my beautiful 15 Granite SRT. After just over 2 years and 35K on the clock, ponding water got me on Interstate 69 just North of Houston. We had heavy rain in Houston on Monday and after it had quit raining where I was, I re-engaged the cruise and set it for the speed limit just in case. I must have relaxed a little, maybe even looked down at the screen. Snap 90 degree turn to the right, stabbed the throttle to get her to keep going around but that did nothing and she took and set and nosed right into the outside Jersey Barrier. I've been driving for 40+ years and I have never felt a change of direction this this. There was seriously no warning.
Geico let me know the other day she is a total loss. :frown: They did however give me a day to swap out my mods.

So now the look for a new ride. I'm in no hurry since I can be in a rental for work from now till about Nov 1.
Seen several 16 SRT's with 10K discounts out there. The amount I drive has me thinking a Hellcat isn't the right choice since I just would feel right putting those miles on it and the Tech package is still not offered. Not that all that safety stuff in the tech package helped me at all on Monday. :headbang:

I guess the lesson learned is keep that cruise control off in any rainy conditions.

KW adjustable springs, Drake upper tower brace, Speedlogix adjustable control arms, BWoody sway bar end links and a Drake black billet fuel door. All of these will most probably be available at the SCLX Lonestar Moparfest in Oct. By then I should have made the call on replacement.
Glad to hear you're okay, man!

If nothing else, the tech package likely indirectly caused you to crash, because you should never cruise control under any conditions unless it is absolutely dry.

Forget that nanny package, get whatever you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
834 Posts
A 90 degree turn on the flat ass Texas interstate? Even in hilly TN we don't have that. Glad you didn't get banged up too bad.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Well, we must say good by to my beautiful 15 Granite SRT. After just over 2 years and 35K on the clock, ponding water got me on Interstate 69 just North of Houston. We had heavy rain in Houston on Monday and after it had quit raining where I was, I re-engaged the cruise and set it for the speed limit just in case. I must have relaxed a little, maybe even looked down at the screen. Snap 90 degree turn to the right, stabbed the throttle to get her to keep going around but that did nothing and she took and set and nosed right into the outside Jersey Barrier. I've been driving for 40+ years and I have never felt a change of direction this this. There was seriously no warning.
Geico let me know the other day she is a total loss. :frown: They did however give me a day to swap out my mods.

Seen several 16 SRT's with 10K discounts out there. The amount I drive has me thinking a Hellcat isn't the right choice since I just would feel right putting those miles on it and the Tech package is still not offered. Not that all that safety stuff in the tech package helped me at all on Monday. :headbang:

Of course you're getting another Challenger. That's just silly talk.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. Not getting a Hellcat because it wouldn't be right to put the miles on it is no reason not to get one !

They won't be collectible and their are great deals on them right now! I have mine and drive it every day I'm in town and it's not raining! Such a fun and easy to drive car ... but of course that extra power is there for playtime when you want it !

Just my .02 cents. Good luck in your search !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
I'm glad you are OK. That had to be scary.

I want to say something else here too, NEVER use cruise control in wet conditions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Glad you are OK. Get the Hellcat. I just got one. They are amazing, and you won't regret the tech package. The hellcat comes with almost everything, except for fog lights and adaptive cruise control. But I didn't like the adaptive cruise control much on my 2016 SPS.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad you are OK. Get the Hellcat. I just got one. They are amazing, and you won't regret the tech package. The hellcat comes with almost everything, except for fog lights and adaptive cruise control. But I didn't like the adaptive cruise control much on my 2016 SPS.

Oh don't get me wrong,,,,, I sure am thinking about it. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to know, you're ok, that's what's important. Why wouldn't you transfer those parts to the next car?
GoMango is an awesome color.

Thanks to all for the well wishes. My ass is sore tho. Breathing all that airbag smoke was an interesting experience.
I would absolutely transfer all parts to the new one. All except the strut bar if I decide on the Cat. Were trying to build a house down on the water in South Texas, so this has thrown a monkey wrench into those plans. 10K is 10K and that's the difference between the SRT and Cat.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I'm curious what tires you had? I just changed my original Pirelli Zero Nero for Nitto 555's and the difference is day and night. The Pirelli's made the car almost impossible to drive in the rain. It was all over the place with hydroplaning and poor grip. The Nitto's are a 'life saver' as they car can now be driven normally in the wet.

·
Premium Member
9,344 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. Not getting a Hellcat because it wouldn't be right to put the miles on it is no reason not to get one !

They won't be collectible and their are great deals on them right now! I have mine and drive it every day I'm in town and it's not raining! Such a fun and easy to drive car ... but of course that extra power is there for playtime when you want it !

Just my .02 cents. Good luck in your search !

Putting that 10K in his new house would be far more beneficial.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
You only live once and I would never assume to know someone's financial situation over the internet....

The op will make whatever choice is best for him I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts