Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first post here

I am in the process of getting my first ever muscle car, my first Challenger, I'm super excited about it, no, I'm dreaming about it, just waiting for my paperwork to go through and I'll pick her up next week, hopefully.

The only thing I'm not happy about is that I can only afford the SXT, and after sitting inside the GT in the showroom, I'm like woah! especially the paddle shifters and the suede steering wheel and the sun roof.

am I being too picky here? what are your thoughts

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
309 Posts
First I would have to ask if you drove the GT or even an SXT? It’s really a lot more car than you think with the V6. And if that’s all you can afford, you’re better off instead of getting yourself into trouble financially. And you’ll save on insurance and gas. Just my .02.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First I would have to ask if you drove the GT or even an SXT? It’s really a lot more car than you think with the V6. And if that’s all you can afford, you’re better off instead of getting yourself into trouble financially. And you’ll save on insurance and gas. Just my .02.
You just helped me make my mind yes yes yes V6 here I come

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
309 Posts
Good for you man congratulations! Stick around here you’ll learn a lot.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
The SXT is a GREAT option. My first Challenger was a '13 SXT and I wish I would've kept it in addition to my new Challenger too. It had more than enough pep and was so smooth and comfortable to drive, the great thing is you'll even have the pleasure of the the newer interior which I did not have.

Enjoy and post some pictures once you pick it up.

- Alexis

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,034 Posts
I don't use the word "Only" when describing the SXT

A Guy

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you're 100% sure you will be happy with the SXT, then go for it. If you see yourself saying "damn...I should have waited a bit longer and gotten the v8" then wait it out.

I will be one of the rare few that will be transitioning from v8 to v6 as the only time I ever use the power is passing other drivers really. It's not worth the gas, insurance premium and registration ($515 per year in CA)

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts
It doesnt matter what engine is in the car right now. First, get the car.

Then start having fun driving the car.

Then start modding the the car if that's of interest to you.

Continue to enjoy driving the car.

And when you can, try to take some time to peruse this forum (and any others that apply) for useful info that will help you learn all about the various electronic and mechanical systems that work together to make up the Challenger.

That knowledge can be carried over to your next Challenger, should you decide to go with a V8 down the road.

Most importantly, continue to enjoy owning and driving the car.

You can't go wrong with that approach! (y)

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
992 Posts
The SXT is fairly quick for such a large vehicle already, you'll have plenty of fun with it. And if you're eventually just dying for more power but dont want a larger auto loan, you could always save up for a RIPP supercharger unit. Also, I'd recommend lowering the SXT on some new coil springs, it'll help handling and it'll help aerodynamics just a tiny bit. And it looks better I think, the SXT's sit way too high up from the factory for my taste.

The RIPP is easily the best performance mod you can make to an SXT. Per their website: "With a RIPP Supercharger installed we safely squeezed 425WHP+ and 360ft/lbs** of Torque on a factory 3.6 Pentastar. That WHP is higher than a 5.7 V8 Engine swap costing thousands more and more in line with a 6.4 Hemi. Additionally clients have reported an MPG increase from 1-4mpg combined City/hwy***."

It won't accelerate quite as hard as a 392, it'll be more like the 5.7. But you're gonna save a ton in gas and insurance premiums.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If you're 100% sure you will be happy with the SXT, then go for it. If you see yourself saying "damn...I should have waited a bit longer and gotten the v8" then wait it out.

I will be one of the rare few that will be transitioning from v8 to v6 as the only time I ever use the power is passing other drivers really. It's not worth the gas, insurance premium and registration ($515 per year in CA)
I'm glad for this thread as it is help for me too. I'm hoping to get pumped up and feel good about my Plum Crazy SXT Blacktop which is in shipping now. I too am going from V8's to a 6. Although this will be my 5th Challenger. Everyone is betting I won't keep it long. I remember when 300 hp was more than enough car so I'm hoping I can still have some fun with it. The deal was too good to pass up and would allow me to get this car and still be in shape if Dodge surprises us with a 426 HEMI in 6 months. Good luck Kamal and I hope we are both enjoying our cars soon.

·
Super Moderator
14,989 Posts
The 3.6 is really a sophisticated little engine. It is rated at an impressive 305 horsepower and 270 lb.-ft. of torque and 90% of its torque is available from 1,800 to 6,350 rpm.

Before the first aluminum block was cast, the new Pentastar V-6 benefited from more than 45,000 hours of computer analysis to optimize the design of the engine. Once assembled, the engines were thoroughly tested and evaluated on dynamometers and in vehicles. More than 12 million customer equivalent miles were logged on the dynos followed by vehicle testing of nearly 4 million customer equivalent miles. In addition, a test batch of engines were made in February 2009, and sent to Roush Industries (which preps Challenger drag cars) for extensive hot testing, to find any problems before customers.

Here are some of the features of this excellent engine:
  • The 60-degree engine is compact and lightweight, with a total length of 503 mm (94mm shorter than the 3.7 and 34 mm shorter than the 3.5).
  • Open deck design, with four oil return holes below the head bolt holes.
  • The block is a high-pressure, die cast aluminum unit with cast iron bore liners and aluminum cylinder heads; cast aluminum pistons with low friction rings are fitted to forged steel connecting rods. Pistons have a reduced skirt area to cut weight and friction. Compression ratio for the engine is 10.2:1 for all applications (runs on regular gas)..
  • Piston cooling jets are fitted to each cylinder, spraying oil onto the piston to prevent detonation, control heat, and allow MDS in the future.
  • The nodular iron crankshaft is common to all Pentastar engines. It has an 83% increase in fatigue strength due to the rolled fillet process.
  • A structural windage tray reduces oil splash on the crankshaft and cuts power losses..
  • Cylinder heads are constructed of T7 heat treated aluminum and feature dual overhead camshafts with roller finger followers.
  • Independent cam phasing also is used on all four camshafts. Induction is handled through a multi-point port fuel injection system and a lightweight composite intake manifold. The integral exhaust manifold eliminates the need for separate cast iron or steel exhaust manifolds and contributes to improvements in engine refinement and weight.
  • Extremely efficient with advanced emission technology, the new 3.6-liter Pentastar was designed for all future emission standards.
  • The engine features high-flow intake and exhaust ports.
  • The intake valve is a single-piece design, made of forged heat resistant steel; exhaust valves are two-piece designs, with a forged austenitic head welded to a martensitic stem, and both have a nitrided surface treatment to prevent scuffing.
  • The timing drive uses four chains, each of which is a “silent chain link” design to improve sprocket engagement and cut noise, vibration and harshness.
  • The cylinder heads are made of aluminum, with unique left and right castings and integrated exhaust manifolds have thin walls.
  • The cylinder block is a high-pressure die cast aluminum design, with an open deck and cut slots between each cylinder; cast steel cylinder liners increase longevity. Three piston oil cooler jets are mounted to the engine block (each cools two pistons) and attached to the main oil gallery.
  • Four powdered metal main bearing caps are used; they are cross-bolted, with directional arrows molded in.
  • The engine accessories have no brackets; they are bolted directly to the block, cutting vibration.
  • The advanced oil filter system eliminates oil spills, thanks to an incinerable filter element instead of the typical spin-on filters.

il

·
Registered
981 Posts
The GT is also a v6, so it sounds like you’re talking about a v6 base SXT versus v6 model with more bells and whistles (plus all wheel drive for the GT). The v6 vs 5.7 or 6.4 is a whole different discussion.

I would strongly recommend thinking through anything that you’ll really wish you had, because it will be more expensive and difficult to add aftermarket. For example, the difference between the SXT and the SXT Plus is not that expensive as far as total price of the car and you get a lot more features for the money. Some of that may not matter to you and you’ll never miss it, some of it may. If it does matter, better to pay the money up front.

My first challenger was an SXT Plus with a couple option packages. The v6 is a great engine and the leather and all the features made it a hell of a nice car for only about $25k. I now have a Scat Pack because I’m a muscle car guy and was compelled by the sound and torque, but given the features for the money the SXT Plus was definitely a better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey everyone, first post here

I am in the process of getting my first ever muscle car, my first Challenger, I'm super excited about it, no, I'm dreaming about it, just waiting for my paperwork to go through and I'll pick her up next week, hopefully.

The only thing I'm not happy about is that I can only afford the SXT, and after sitting inside the GT in the showroom, I'm like woah! especially the paddle shifters and the suede steering wheel and the sun roof.

am I being too picky here? what are your thoughts
I have a GT, and let me tell you, I love it. it had AWD, which is a must for the winter. I don’t want to talk you into something you can’t afford, so if the SXT is all you can afford - go with that. But, the GT is worth it, even though it’s only A V6.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Thanks Cuda340 great info but how is the sound? I don't expect it to sound like my 392 but I was wondering if I took the mufflers off if it would be a louder deeper sound or sound like a import with those large mufflers sounding really tinny?

·
Registered
992 Posts
The 3.6 is really a sophisticated little engine. It is rated at an impressive 305 horsepower and 270 lb.-ft. of torque and 90% of its torque is available from 1,800 to 6,350 rpm.

Before the first aluminum block was cast, the new Pentastar V-6 benefited from more than 45,000 hours of computer analysis to optimize the design of the engine. Once assembled, the engines were thoroughly tested and evaluated on dynamometers and in vehicles. More than 12 million customer equivalent miles were logged on the dynos followed by vehicle testing of nearly 4 million customer equivalent miles. In addition, a test batch of engines were made in February 2009, and sent to Roush Industries (which preps Challenger drag cars) for extensive hot testing, to find any problems before customers.

Here are some of the features of this excellent engine:
  • The 60-degree engine is compact and lightweight, with a total length of 503 mm (94mm shorter than the 3.7 and 34 mm shorter than the 3.5).
  • Open deck design, with four oil return holes below the head bolt holes.
  • The block is a high-pressure, die cast aluminum unit with cast iron bore liners and aluminum cylinder heads; cast aluminum pistons with low friction rings are fitted to forged steel connecting rods. Pistons have a reduced skirt area to cut weight and friction. Compression ratio for the engine is 10.2:1 for all applications (runs on regular gas)..
  • Piston cooling jets are fitted to each cylinder, spraying oil onto the piston to prevent detonation, control heat, and allow MDS in the future.
  • The nodular iron crankshaft is common to all Pentastar engines. It has an 83% increase in fatigue strength due to the rolled fillet process.
  • A structural windage tray reduces oil splash on the crankshaft and cuts power losses..
  • Cylinder heads are constructed of T7 heat treated aluminum and feature dual overhead camshafts with roller finger followers.
  • Independent cam phasing also is used on all four camshafts. Induction is handled through a multi-point port fuel injection system and a lightweight composite intake manifold. The integral exhaust manifold eliminates the need for separate cast iron or steel exhaust manifolds and contributes to improvements in engine refinement and weight.
  • Extremely efficient with advanced emission technology, the new 3.6-liter Pentastar was designed for all future emission standards.
  • The engine features high-flow intake and exhaust ports.
  • The intake valve is a single-piece design, made of forged heat resistant steel; exhaust valves are two-piece designs, with a forged austenitic head welded to a martensitic stem, and both have a nitrided surface treatment to prevent scuffing.
  • The timing drive uses four chains, each of which is a “silent chain link” design to improve sprocket engagement and cut noise, vibration and harshness.
  • The cylinder heads are made of aluminum, with unique left and right castings and integrated exhaust manifolds have thin walls.
  • The cylinder block is a high-pressure die cast aluminum design, with an open deck and cut slots between each cylinder; cast steel cylinder liners increase longevity. Three piston oil cooler jets are mounted to the engine block (each cools two pistons) and attached to the main oil gallery.
  • Four powdered metal main bearing caps are used; they are cross-bolted, with directional arrows molded in.
  • The engine accessories have no brackets; they are bolted directly to the block, cutting vibration.
  • The advanced oil filter system eliminates oil spills, thanks to an incinerable filter element instead of the typical spin-on filters.

il
I didn't realize that the little Pentastar was such a formidable engine; it's certainly more potent than the 3.5L it replaced although it doesn't sound as good. How does its technology compare to the Hemi family? I also heard that a V8 version of the Pentastar design was in the works at one point, I wonder whatever happened to that thing.

I have to ask though, if Dodge can make an aluminum block for the V6, why in the world are they still using iron blocks for the Hemis? Ford and Chevy started making powerful and durable aluminum block V8's many years ago, why has Dodge not caught up? I think the Hemi is a simpler and, in some ways, superior engine than the 5.0 Coyote and the LS and LT families of engines, except when it comes to weight and the 392's weakness when it comes to boost.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have a GT, and let me tell you, I love it. it had AWD, which is a must for the winter. I don’t want to talk you into something you can’t afford, so if the SXT is all you can afford - go with that. But, the GT is worth it, even though it’s only A V6.
Can the GT be lowered with new springs, or is its ride height necessary for its AWD system?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Cuda340 great info but how is the sound? I don't expect it to sound like my 392 but I was wondering if I took the mufflers off if it would be a louder deeper sound or sound like a import with those large mufflers sounding really tinny?
not a big loud sound. Sounds like a regular car to me. But,I’ve heard the muffler delete would give it more. And a CAI swap would help to. Planning on a CAI change. Mostly because I want to utilize the headlight intake option on this thing

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,034 Posts
The RIPP is easily the best performance mod you can make to an SXT. Per their website: "With a RIPP Supercharger installed we safely squeezed 425WHP+ and 360ft/lbs** of Torque on a factory 3.6 Pentastar. That WHP is higher than a 5.7 V8 Engine swap costing thousands more and more in line with a 6.4 Hemi. Additionally clients have reported an MPG increase from 1-4mpg combined City/hwy***."

It won't accelerate quite as hard as a 392, it'll be more like the 5.7. But you're gonna save a ton in gas and insurance premiums.
I don't know if it's easily the best ;)

Well the results are in, we are proud to say that we have managed to push 506HP at the wheels! At this power level 11 second 1/4 mile times are certainly attainable.

That’s substantially more power than the SRT, faster track times, better fuel economy, lower insurance expenses and you’ll save $$.

With no exhaust IE: Straight piped, it has more sound, but it's not ear pleasing. These cars need to have the exhaust sound shaped. But a good cat back they sound good without the "ricer" sound. The correct mufflers and resonators or J-Pipes can also sound good.

A Guy

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't know if it's easily the best ;)

With no exhaust IE: Straight piped, it has more sound, but it's not ear pleasing. These cars need to have the exhaust sound shaped. But a good cat back they sound good without the "ricer" sound. The correct mufflers and resonators or J-Pipes can also sound good.

A Guy
Damn ? I stand corrected. Although, I'm willing to bet the supercharger package is better for street manners and long term livability for the engine.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts