Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, here's another question about our Mopar-10s. It appears that the majority of these vehicles came equipped with the standard 130 media center with 4 speakers. Are any of you planning or have already upgraded the headunit or speakers, or are you planning to leave them in the car since it was the orginial equipment? Right now, I'm planning on adding U-Connect and IPOD controls, but parts alone are almost $300. I've looked at a lot of aftermarket units, and they range about the same or just a little higher. I have also looked at MyGiG units with NAV, but they are running $800 and up.
If you have changed out the media center or speakers, which brand and model did you get and how easy was the installation.
Once again thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
557 Posts
No Mopar10 for me, but have an RT with the lowly 130. I do plan on upgrading as time and money allows. At first, I had thought about doing an aftermarket head unit, but the more I think about it I would prefer to grab a Mopar unit, even if used from eBay or a junkyard that still works.

If Nav isn't a requirement for you, then check into the REN units. I read something on these forums that indicate they have the U-connect BUILT INTO THEM. That will save you about $200 by itself. FYI, a REN unit I was recently tracking on eBay sold for $300. Of course, if your car doesn't have the auto-dimming rear view mirror with dual mics, then you will have to get a microphone to get U-connect fully operational. A lot of guys like the mirror because it's the most stealth looking and closest to factory, but the mirror is around $300+!!!! Alternatively, I've heard of one guy installing the microphone included with the U-connect kit somewhere down where the dash and center console meet so it's almost invisible. That is probably the option I will pursue unless a mirror drops into my lap for next to nothing.

All that being said, you will still need the IPOD cable to enable control with the radio head unit and/or steering wheel controls (if you have them). I think those are around $50-$100 and there is a MOPAR parts # but I don't know what it is. I did read something where some work with iPhone 4's and some don't. I think white vs. black. Don't recall the details, it was a late night.

If you want to add the steering wheel controls, that is possible too. Got to get a few parts and have the dealer do some programming. Here is a link to that thread (it's a long thread):

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/adding-evic-controls-20575/

That link also contains info on adding Homelink & EVIC, something else you may want to add.

Lastly is the speakers/amps. I wouldn't have a problem using aftermarket components here. Just use the factory locations.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
If you goto the NAV mygig you are looking at ALOT of money and drilling a hole into the roof. :)
For what??

No need to actually put the GPS antenna on the roof...
It would work just fine laying on the floor or in the glove box, taped to the underside of dash or where-ever.
Unless you encase it in lead, it's going to get plenty of signal.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
For what??

No need to actually put the GPS antenna on the roof...
It would work just fine laying on the floor or in the glove box, taped to the underside of dash or where-ever.
Unless you encase it in lead, it's going to get plenty of signal.
I dont know about that. I can drive under some trees and the signal goes away. OL

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I dont know about that. I can drive under some trees and the signal goes away. OL
Think about it... where is the antenna on every TomTom & Garmin
It's inside the unit, inside the car... my hand held sits inside of the little stash area in my Alero, which puts the entire dash over it... and it still works like a champ. I have never bothered to mount the GPS antenna on my boats radar arch either. Once I figured out it still worked fine while sitting under a storage panel on the side, I left it there... out of sight.

Now if your talking about the Sirius Sat Radio antenna... well that's different.
That would probably lose service just covering it with a paper plate. :disgust:

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Think about it... where is the antenna on every TomTom & Garmin
It's inside the unit, inside the car... my hand held sits inside of the little stash area in my Alero, which puts the entire dash over it... and it still works like a champ. I have never bothered to mount the GPS antenna on my boats radar arch either. Once I figured out it still worked fine while sitting under a storage panel on the side, I left it there... out of sight.

Now if your talking about the Sirius Sat Radio antenna... well that's different.
That would probably lose service just covering it with a paper plate. :disgust:

yeah, i was talking about the Sirius reception. :) It uses the same antenna as the NAV but putting it on the dash or even on top of the radio hidden would work for the NAV.

·
Banned
557 Posts
yeah, i was talking about the Sirius reception. :) It uses the same antenna as the NAV but putting it on the dash or even on top of the radio hidden would work for the NAV.
FYI, it's possible to get the 130 with Sirius, so the antenna is already mounted. My RT with the 130 has Sirius and antenna. ;)

But I would agree, if one's not already in-place, you will want that mounted in factory location as they lose signal very, very easy. But again, the satellite antenna & module is a separate module. If the OP has one now, they should be able to use it with whatever head unit they choose.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Hi guys, here's another question about our Mopar-10s. It appears that the majority of these vehicles came equipped with the standard 130 media center with 4 speakers. Are any of you planning or have already upgraded the headunit or speakers, or are you planning to leave them in the car since it was the orginial equipment? Right now, I'm planning on adding U-Connect and IPOD controls, but parts alone are almost $300. I've looked at a lot of aftermarket units, and they range about the same or just a little higher. I have also looked at MyGiG units with NAV, but they are running $800 and up.
If you have changed out the media center or speakers, which brand and model did you get and how easy was the installation.
Once again thanks for the help.:thumbsup:
I may have misunderstood your question buy my system (4 speakers with Sirrus) has the aux input for the iPod with no problem. I don't have U-connect controls but my Garmin portable GPS has the hands free Bluetooth.
For the iPod, I just plug a 1/8th (I believe) into the aux and the other 1/8th end into the iphone. Works for me...:scratchhead:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Changed out my 430 RBZ with the 739N RER from OEM autoparts and the gps antenna under the dash and the signal is 7 to 8 satellites. Sold the 430 on Craigslist for $190.....oemautoparts wanted to buy it for $175 and I pay to ship it. Also, got bluetooth and DVD will play in drive

1 - 13 of 13 Posts