Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got finished with my mods and I have a monster Mopar 10!! This car is much quicker and faster than my SRT8 Charger - no comparison.
No, I didn't put a supercharger or predator tune on it as I wanted to keep it emissions compliant and warranty covered.
First, Let me list the mods I did (some with a little help):
Hood Struts (easy)
Pedal Kit (looks and feels great but the brake pedal is a b***h to put on)
Chrome Challenger Door Seals (easy and looks super with the black Mopar 10)
Wheel Locks (I heard these were very desirable wheels and tires)
Splash Guards (they were almost on but we found out most plastic rivet
pliers were too small for the Dodge Rivets. I drove all over upstate SC
until I found a set that was perfect and angled so you don't have to
remove the wheels to install them. Cost = $79 plus tax = ouch!! I may
to rent it out to other Challenger owners who want to put splash
guards on. The Dodge dealer was rude and completely dumb and
wouldn't even look up the device to see how much it was.
OK, Here's the big, Huge difference. I bought the Mopar exhaust made by
Corsa with their RSC or RCS anti drone system for 5.7 Hemi Autos.
Not a lot louder than the factory exhaust at idle but definitely different. Even
with my limited auto knowledge, I could tell it was a much more free
flowing system. The mechanic at my super Midas shop didn't even look
at the instructions, just removed and installed the new exhaust.
There was a big discussion about the diameter of the auto exhaust
and the manual exhaust on one thread. I can tell you that everything
we measured was 2.5 inches and fit absolutely perfect. The tips say
MOPAR with the RCS (or what ever it is) System in smaller letters above
MOPAR. I supervised the line up of the exhausts and they are perfect,
except I didn't look at it off the lift and one of the exhaust tips is a
little further out than the other. I will check tomorrow to see if we can
adjust this.
Now, I know my car was very quick and I have not ever used the auto stick option before. So I went out on a very lonely, straight 2 lane road with no traffic. Put it in 1, 'rolled' on the throttle hard and shifted well before it hit the redline. Everytime I shifted, the tires chirped (or spun). The front end lifted up like a funny car dragster and I could not believe the power this car has. If I could drive like some of you guys here, I would love to see the track times. I am so happy with the exhaust system (no drone) and not loud at cruising or idle (louder that stock) but it shows business. For those who say exhaust don't had Horse Power, they may be right but this system sure adds it to the wheels.
Just to be clear, this is not the Borla Mopar system, which I'm sure is really good, this is the new (basically the Corsa) Mopar system (I think they paid Corsa so Mopar could brand their name on it). I ordered it from a California Dodge dealer (the one here is so friendly :icon_evil: ) and I have nothing but praise for it. If you want pure volume, consider other systems. But if you want something designed for the 5.7 Hemi auto MDS, I really don't think it can be beat.
Sorry to be so long but I am so happy. I'll put the splash guards on tomorrow and wash and shine everything for the upstate MOPAR club ride Saturday.
I took many pics of Scott doing the work and it really looked simple. The pics are on my iPhone so I'll back it up and have some. I don't know how to post them but I'll try to find a before and after.
If you've read this far, you are a true Mopar fan and you know how excited I am. Thanks to everyone on the site who has given me much insight as to what I wanted to do with the car. I don't need a supercharger - it'll void my warranty.
Many blessings to all. I am a very fortunate man. :guiness:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Cat back made it a Monster Mopar? Hmmmm.... I dunno.... you ok? I am glad your Midas dude did not read the instructions on the cat-back. If he did, then he would not belong in a muffler shop. Most muffler techs do "cat-back" with their eyes closed because it is so EASY to do. I suggest a "Predator" CAI tune for your ride. THAT will really show you what it can do. Good Luck with your ride. Enjoy.

StevoHemi

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cat back made it a Monster Mopar? Hmmmm.... I dunno.... you ok? I am glad your Midas dude did not read the instructions on the cat-back. If he did, then he would not belong in a muffler shop. Most muffler techs do "cat-back" with their eyes closed because it is so EASY to do. I suggest a "Predator" CAI tune for your ride. THAT will really show you what it can do. Good Luck with your ride. Enjoy.

StevoHemi
Would a Predator CAI tune hurt the warranty or alter the emissions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
762 Posts
It is obvious that you are excited about your Mopar. Congrats on a great vehicle. I like the Corsa exhaust on my RT.It sounds good but not annoying. Of course it did not give me anymore power but I like it as is.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh Boy.... we got a live one!

Don't forget to go to Wally world and pick up some curb feelers that will protect those "Highly desireable black mags" eh!

StevoHemi
Hey, great idea! What would I do without you? I'll go tomorrow........

·
Registered
486 Posts
I recently put the Corsa Xtreme exhaust on my R/T, the sound is perfect, exactly what I wanted with no drone but the demon sound when you get on it.

I do notice extra power. I wasn't expecting any, from everything I'd read I was convinced the HP increase would be negligible. I only got the Corsa because I got a killer deal on a slightly used system from a fellow member. But from the 1st time I floored it, I spun out more than usual, and the car actually fishtailed a bit! It had never done that. The only other performance mod I have is the CAI. I can't understand anyone not feeling extra power after installation.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just got finished with my mods and I have a monster Mopar 10!! ...
The only performance mod you mentioned was a catback so with the Mopar 10 standard over the counter CAI and a catback your suddenly a monster and faster than the SRT's?

I'm going to sit back and watch the responses from SRT owners because I'm guessing there's going to be a few :)

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Much" quicker than your SRT Charger? Hmm.. was this before or after your 1st Jack Daniels?
Uh, I don't drink Jack Daniels but I do like a cold brew every now and then.
I know its hard to believe and maybe it has something to do with a coupe vs a sedan. I can't explain it and I'll probably never run it like that again, but it is definitely quicker. (I did give the Charger a few 'high end' runs and it's probably faster top end). But this Challenger is really exciting!
Thanks to all for the encouragement. :guiness:

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only performance mod you mentioned was a catback so with the Mopar 10 standard over the counter CAI and a catback your suddenly a monster and faster than the SRT's?

I'm going to sit back and watch the responses from SRT owners because I'm guessing there's going to be a few :)
I sure didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest or put down any ride. But as a former Charger SRT8 owner, I actually thought the Mopar 10 was quicker in stock form. But when I added the Mopar/Corsa catback, no doubt about it in my mind. I don't know what it is but there is a difference.
BTW, I love the SRT8's and would never slight them. There is always plenty of folks faster than I, I'm just enjoying it a whole lot. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I forgot this. The Mopar 10 is not a 'standard over the counter CAI'. The giant hood scoop forces air directly to the CAI. This may have a little to do with it. And yes, you are probably right - the SRT8 Challenger has got to be faster. I just know that my Mopar 10 is quicker then my SRT8 Charger. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I owned a 2007 SRT8 Charger and it ran a best of [email protected] on a very good air day BONE STOCK. Most of the time it would run 13.1's-13.20's @ 106-107. My Bone stock Mopar 10 auto just ran a 13.2 @ 105 on a crappy air day so that puts my Mopar 10 as being just as fast as my SRT8 Charger I had. :) There is one SRT8 guy that has spoken.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
i am sure that 10' package makes you at least 1 second faster in the 1/4 and probably faster than some srt's !
just bustin your chops !
beautiful car with some nice customization ,enjoy making it your own !

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
With the VVT it's quite possible that the "10" has more grunt at street level than the SRT. This will make it feel "faster" which is the wrong way to say it. Say "stronger " because what you are feeling is the Torque band pulling you through the revs. Now because you're stronger you may be "quicker" from A to B. But don't say you're faster unless you know for sure she's able to hit speeds near 175 mph. :)

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
^^^^^^^Yep, the VVT helps a bunch. The torque is the key in the 5.7L. The 5.7L can pull some numbers close to the SRT8's ET wise but most of the time the SRT8's will have a better trap speed. My SRT8 definately pulled a bit more on the top end but not that much. Im still shooting for a 12.9 on my bone stock Mopar 10 as it comes from the factory.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With the VVT it's quite possible that the "10" has more grunt at street level than the SRT. This will make it feel "faster" which is the wrong way to say it. Say "stronger " because what you are feeling is the Torque band pulling you through the revs. Now because you're stronger you may be "quicker" from A to B. But don't say you're faster unless you know for sure she's able to hit speeds near 175 mph. :)
Stronger, quicker,, I think I stuck with these. But I backed off the faster because, as you pointed out, the Charger has the top end. I will never go that fast so if it pleases, I officially withdraw the term 'faster'. Point well taken,:)

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I owned a 2007 SRT8 Charger and it ran a best of [email protected] on a very good air day BONE STOCK. Most of the time it would run 13.1's-13.20's @ 106-107. My Bone stock Mopar 10 auto just ran a 13.2 @ 105 on a crappy air day so that puts my Mopar 10 as being just as fast as my SRT8 Charger I had. :) There is one SRT8 guy that has spoken.
ah, an understanding thinker..... Say, beautiful cars and best of luck on your quest. I have no doubt you'll make it. Cheers

1 - 20 of 35 Posts