Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello group , Has anyone installed a OEM steel Mopar 10 type of T/A hood on a SRT 8 ? I read somewhere that there could be a problem with the taller 6.1 ltr fitting correctly with something on the underside of the hood ? Again this is not a fibreglass type of T/A hood but a OEM steel T/A hood. I purchased a SMS 570 Red Butterfly hood but it arrived damaged. I will be posting SMS's actions regarding replacing or repairing it later. Any tips on fitting a T/A hood over a 6.1 engine ? Cheers , Rattler

·
Registered
135 Posts
Rattler,

I have been wondering the same. Odd that your purchased the SMS hood as I thought that was a pretty hot hood and was looking at it last night. Looking forward to hear the story.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mopar 10 Hood on SRT8

I'm not sure it is so much the hood but the cold air unit on the underside. I can tell you that the verbiage on the instructions for the cold air unit specifically states, " will not work on 6.1L". It would be good if someone from Mopar could weigh in on the details. 09Clingr said he measured and it would seem the cold air unit would work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a srt8 6.1 with a maggie. I just put a T/A hood with the cold air ducting from mopar. I had to heat up one part of ducting with a heat gun so it was just about to melt and then I shut the hood. It clearance it self when I shut the hood. My question is there a different air cleaner top for this kit? Thanks Lee

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OEM Steel Mopar T/A Hood Install

Hey , Thanks to all for getting back to me ,Is your hood and induction kit a OEM Mopar product ? I think that you mentioned that your cold air is OEM Mopar but what about the hood ? Until "Please Pray For It" the 426 Challenger comes out my 6.1 with cold air is enough G's for me so the T/A hood would only be for eyes only and could leave any underhood induction parts off or modified like you did. So with not realy needing the hoods induction asperating the 6.1 , I cant think of any other problems that could get in the way ? But "cant think of" has its problems. Im gonna order the hood. Oh , Before I forget , When you get a hood in , If you can take a picture of the box " at the terminal or with the truck & driver" before opening and while pulling it out for damage & hardware inspection it will pretty well prove that you didnt damage the hood after receiving it. It used to be that most companies would take care of these things right away but nowadays , ??????? Most of the trucking companies bill of laiden has a clause that says its yours after signing on the line for reciept. Inspect then sign. I found a video from Dodge / Mopar Underground showing the model 1320 426 Challenger last night. I dont care for the car's body styling but man does that 426 look and sound good !!! If any Dodge marketing executives , engineers , directors , et are reading this post , PLEASE drop that 426 into a SRT 8 , add a super charger , T/A hood and bring back Hemi or Vitamin C Orange paint as an option. And offer this beauty in a convertable. My God , What a car ! Again , Is your hood OEM ? Cheers , Rattler

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Group , Went ahead with the T/A purchase. Will post install tip's later. I know this is the exterior posting site , Maybe I wont get into trouble , I looked at a Mopar 10 but somehow missed the cars great looking steering wheel. You Tube has a nice Mopar 10 video showing the steering wheel. Im wondering what it would look like on a SRT 8 ? The controls look identical. Thanks for the help with the T/A hood. Rattler

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would highly recomend inspecting the hood upon reciept.
Mine was damaged under one of the corner protctors, which I did not look at until it was to late

·
Registered
54 Posts
R/T hood on 6.1

Here's some pics of my mopar ducting on my 6.1 with R/T hood. You can see where I clearance the ducting. Without the ducting there is plenty of room for the intake with this hood. I don't know how much room there would be with the ducting and a 6.1 intake. Remember mine has the blower. I'm going to modify my stock air cleaner lid to fit the ducting and put a drop in K&N air filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this mod on my SE. (Call me stupid if you want to, everyone else does.) Do these hoods pretty much have a 'direct fit' onto the factory hood hinges or does it require any modification?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here's some pics of my mopar ducting on my 6.1 with R/T hood. You can see where I clearance the ducting. Without the ducting there is plenty of room for the intake with this hood. I don't know how much room there would be with the ducting and a 6.1 intake. Remember mine has the blower. I'm going to modify my stock air cleaner lid to fit the ducting and put a drop in K&N air filter.
Lee, I hope your heat gun fiasco didn't affect the functionality of the venting system. Those things run +$430 on eBay.:disgust:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lee,

When you took on this project did you encounter any major problems with the hood install? How long did it take you to swap out the old stock hood for the T/A? Are these things pretty much plug and play?

·
Registered
54 Posts
It took about 5 minutes to change the hood. I bought the hood before I had the car. I had bought the car, but it just wasn't delivered yet. It's a factory hood, so they fit perfect.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
It took about 5 minutes to change the hood. I bought the hood before I had the car. I had bought the car, but it just wasn't delivered yet. It's a factory hood, so they fit perfect.
Hey, I bought one of the early, non-functional T/A hoods. Poor quality. Sent back two before I got one that could be "massaged" to work. Scoop had enough waves on it to surf on... Not satisfied that it's still non-functional, though... can I get the ductwork separately and modify the hood? Seems like I might have to make some cuts in the existing hood, and swap out the grille inserts, but would the ducting fit, or am I committed to buy ANOTHER hood? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OEM Mopar T/A Hood

Got a OEM Mopar T/A hood in last week. I was advised by a member to check the hood for damage . It did have a dime size dent and scratch on it but the body shop can take care of it. The seller is offering a discount for the damage. This damaged T/A hood is "on top" of the damaged SMS Red Butterfly hood that I received last Feb-Mar. I could have sent the T/A hood back and received another one but with the shippers bad track record , who knows what shape the next one would have arrived in ? It would probably be amazing if one realy knew how much damaged freight is delivered on a daily basis. The Mopar T/A hood is aluminium and only weighs about six pounds. Rattler

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I can't believe that many Mopar T/A hoods were damaged in transit... I took some pictures of the second hood I received, and compared it to the one I have now, before the bodywork to get it into shape. I saw some pretty bad grinder marks along the front of the hood, leading me to believe the manufacturers treated the aluminum as if it were steel... guess they aren't used to working with aluminum.

Shoulda gone with Cervini, I suppose

·
Registered
107 Posts
A big concern of mine now is transit damage. If they way 6lbs and it's aluminum that means the metal can be pretty flimsy and easily damaged by some careless a$$hole throwing your package around at the sorting facility.

I'm going to wait a couple more months to see if anyone is selling one locally on the washington d.c. craigslist. Besides, it appears that I'll be buying an SRT8 Xtreme Corsa exhaust system for my SE from a member on here this monday for $1000 shipped!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Strangely, my TA hood arrived with two small dings in it, rather than pay to ship it back i just called a paintless dent repair guy out and he fixed it for about 100 bucks. This many people shouldn't be getting damaged hoods.

As far as compatibility, they bolt up exactly like a stock hood does, i had no issues with it bolting on, you do have to spend a few minutes adjusting it and centering it properly so it latches correct and is equal in gap on both sides. But it took me and my daughter about 5 minutes to remove the old hood and put on the new one. It weighs next to nothing.
can I get the ductwork separately and modify the hood? Seems like I might have to make some cuts in the existing hood, and swap out the grille inserts,
Yes you can buy the ductwork seperately, in fact you have to as the hood doesn't come with the ductwork in any case. The newer ones come with the cutouts already done and the holes drilled to mount the ductwork, but the old ones you have to cut out the holes in the hood and drill 13 holes to mount the ductwork, (do it before you install the hood if possible-its easier to reach that way) took me a half hour to drill the hood, took me longer to cut the cutouts, just take your time, it isn't hard and you can't screw it up too much as you'll cover the holes with the scoop on the top, and the ducts from below. All that matters is that air gets thru.

The hood from mopar is about 1275, the ductwork 435-515.00. Plus you have to have a CAI to make it work, as it will not work properly with the factory airbox.

It does seem to make a little difference performance wise, not a lot but some.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Strangely, my TA hood arrived with two small dings in it, rather than pay to ship it back i just called a paintless dent repair guy out and he fixed it for about 100 bucks. This many people shouldn't be getting damaged hoods.

No kiddin...

Yes you can buy the ductwork seperately, in fact you have to as the hood doesn't come with the ductwork in any case. The newer ones come with the cutouts already done and the holes drilled to mount the ductwork, but the old ones you have to cut out the holes in the hood and drill 13 holes to mount the ductwork, (do it before you install the hood if possible-its easier to reach that way) took me a half hour to drill the hood, took me longer to cut the cutouts, just take your time, it isn't hard and you can't screw it up too much as you'll cover the holes with the scoop on the top, and the ducts from below. All that matters is that air gets thru.

Plus you have to have a CAI to make it work, as it will not work properly with the factory airbox.
Good news! I can probably get them direct from Dodge, but are the ducts available anywhere else? I had the Mopar CAI installed at delivery, so I'm good to go there... :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts