Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have a Mopar air filter (or other vendor) that uses a dry type filter element, try using Dawn dish washing detergent to clean it. My Mopar CAI kit instructions call for a "mild detergent" when cleaning the element. Ok, define "mild"....

I figured if Dawn was good enough to clean an oil soaked bird, then it was good enough to clean my grungy air filter element. I filled up a bucket of warm water and Dawn, immersed the element, agitated it a few times, let it sit for a few minutes (in the bucket), re-agitated and rinsed it off with cold tap water. For the Mopar dry filter element, do not oil it.

The whole cleaning process took about 10 minutes and it was clean as the day it was new. I let it dry for a few hours and reinstalled it. Good to go for another 6 months, 10K miles or whenever it becomes filthy again....

Reactions: Brock Samson

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
That's one of the great advantages of the dry MOPAR CAI air filter,made by AEM. No comparison with the messy, and sometimes troublesome, oiled air filters.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Ok, now you guys got me started lol. I can't seem to get a good answer on this, asked in the past. Pros and cons with dry filter vs oiled. Everything; price, performance increase, filtration capability, maintenance, and so on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Anybody??

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Oiled filters just add more mess to the cleanup/install process. Go dry.

Reactions: wasp392
1 - 5 of 5 Posts