Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,946 Posts
Why is the OEM OAT coolant marketed as 10 yr / 150,000 miles then? Additionally.....Peak offers coolant in OAT called Final Charge, if one needs some on a day when the dealership is closed or is far away. This coolant was discovered early on by a few guys over on cumminsforum.com in RAM Cummins applications.quote]

What does your owner's manual say? That is what you should go by. My 2009 SRT uses HOAT antifreeze and must be changed every 5 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I was wondering that as well..my car uses the OAT whitch should be good for 10 years...It won't hurt to get it done early obviously but I think I'll wait a couple more years at least.

·
Registered
14,391 Posts
Just drain a gallon out and top off with 50/50, a little replenish of the additives with new coolant will help keep the coolant fresh.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,158 Posts
What does your owner's manual say? That is what you should go by. My 2009 SRT uses HOAT antifreeze and must be changed every 5 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Well.....since the OP in post #1 led off inquiring about the 10 year / 150k coolant, used in the 2013 and newer FCA lineup, I thought that was the subject at hand......not 2012 and below vehicles requiring HOAT.

Ironically :grin2: my owner’s manual actually jives with the coolant’s capabilities as stated on the jug.....10 yr / 150k miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
My 2013 RT is running fine on Prestone 50/50 prediluted Dexcool.
So.......is the OAT spec’ed for your car? If so.....how did the DexCool wind up in it?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts
My 2013 RT is running fine on Prestone 50/50 prediluted Dexcool.
So.......is the OAT spec’ed for your car? If so.....how did the DexCool wind up in it?
My 2012 has HOAT as its spec’d coolant, and that’s what I used for a while (Zerex G-05), but I’m running Dex-Cool as well now because <reasons>.

It seems to me it doesn’t matter what is run as long as it’s not mixed with a different kind (HOAT vs OAT vs Dex-Cool, etc) and it’s changed out before it reaches the end of its useful service life.

Follow those two rules, and I dont see what can go wrong with the coolant system...mine certainly hasn’t seized up yet from the no-spec’d coolant. But I’ve only had it 6 months or so, give me time!

·
Super Moderator
15,554 Posts
Dex-cool doesn't nasty things when it has air exposed to it. Seen the gelling / gunk issue.

Zerex G05 - haven't seen those issues

from my experienc

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Dex-cool doesn't nasty things when it has air exposed to it. Seen the gelling / gunk issue.

Zerex G05 - haven't seen those issues

from my experienc
Oh @Hal H...sweet, dear @Hal H...you are the last person I would have figured susceptible to believing those scary stories and scuttlebutt rumors. I appreciate your concern, but I have researched the matter, and I am confident The Bacon Hauler shall never see the Dex-Sludge, nor shall it ever collect the brown oatmeal due to the coolant in its (3rd!) radiator. :deal:

Now let's get serious for a moment, @Hal H: it sounds like you have not been wearing that special hat that I made for you, have you??
ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg

You need to start wearing it again, that will prevent these outlandish theories from taking root in your brain...and stop the government from reading your thoughts too, but some folks actually like that, so....

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
After reading this thread, decided to check out the cooling system on the 09 SRT. Had changed the coolant in 2010 at 2,500 miles when I installed the SC and now, at 13,500 miles and nine years later, discovered that I was a little behind in the maintenance of the system. The tank was a mess and after flushing the system, installing a new tank and coolant, I'm good to go. That won't happen again....

HOT ROD ON

·
Super Moderator
15,554 Posts
IIRC, the max is 5 years with the G-05 coolant for the '08 - '10s

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
357 Posts
Having a hard time finding coolant for mine. I have red in it and auto stores around me in OAT are yellow and orange. Does that matter? Im not low, but sitting cold it is right on the bottom line in the zone.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Having a hard time finding coolant for mine. I have red in it and auto stores around me in OAT are yellow and orange. Does that matter? Im not low, but sitting cold it is right on the bottom line in the zone.
Color can’t be trusted with aftermarket coolants. The actual formula is all that can be matched with certainty. I can’t recall the aftermarket equivalent of Mopar’s OAT formula, or is there is even one available. If not, you may just have to buy it off amazon or eBay or the dealership parts dept.

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Might want to look into Peak Final Charge if buying locally.

No more than you need......I’d head to Walllllly HELLLLL and buy some distilled water and call it good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Prestone Dexcool 50/50 prediluted. If you hunt around the web for the SDS sheet for it and compare to the SDS for the purple Mopar stuff you'll see its the same. I've been running it for over a year no problems.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts