Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spin off of "Fact or Fiction"
Well I was persistant about not having the after market LockPick installed in the event of possibly voiding my Radio Warranty. I only wanted a backup camera...I don't need to watch DVD's while driving or typing in addresses on my NAV. Plus now I'm covered under my vehicles warranty.
This is what I did,
Purchased part #82211293,
Installed camera and wiring myself (wiring schematic is WRONG with directions), details soon
Had a Dealer input "Backup Camera" as an option in the Chrysler Registry
Then had my local dealer run their SmartScan on my car and update my TIPM and turn on the Camera function.

Attachments

Reactions: B.Thur

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pic #1...Back of 430N RHB Camera pin goes in C3 slot
Pic #2...Passenger kick panel removed revealing backup light wire to feed power to camera (White w/Green Stripe)
Pic #3...Location of camera mount
Pic #4...close up shot
Pic #5...Radio screen with car in reverse

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is the discription from the part number listed, REN is there so I'm good. I can't hardly wait for your instructions Diamond Dave.

Get a backup camera in your Grand Cherokee and Commander with a production wide angle lens video camera kit. Integrates with production models of the MyGIG RER and REN radios.

Production Back Up Camera system that integrates into the Back up camera ready radios (REN & RER). Includes wide-angle weather-proof camera, wiring harness from camera to radio, installation hardware and instructions. Please select vehicle model above.

Item # 82211346 - Grand Cherokee*
Item # 82211293 - Commander

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The published list price on that camera (82211293) is 178 bucks.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
only thing they could void would be the radio warranty, they can't void any other warranty work because of the lockpick. I'd like to see a dealer try to void a warranty not impacted by the aftermarket part installed.

In any case, congrats on getting the camera installed with no warranty worries, hope the dealer you use wasn't pushing it to be done that way to avoid warranty problems.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Well done, I like also the place of the camera.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
FYI....correct the warranty issue would be the radio itself...I perfer not to replace a $2K plus radio out of my pocket...!
No...the dealer had no input, infact they kept telling me it wouldn't work...haha
Good thing I'm hard headed
The camera I chose was the best install for my location vs drilling holes in body somewhere and the mounting bracket matched the valance matl., and it can be found as low as 158.00,,,google part #
I was lucky enough to get it at dealers cost...they owed me a favor.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
On picture #1, my AV module plugs into the white plug in the middle of the radio. That is where I plug in my camera. What is the C3 plug?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
WalNetto..the C3 slot is next to the White recepticle that you speak of....the white 22 pin that comes with the camera kit plugs in to it.
What camera do you have plugged in to the White recepticle...? Is it Mopar...? Are you using LockPick...?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK walnetto...answered my own questions reading your Mods....the point here is using Mopar camera without LOCKPICK and risking a malfunction with your radio and no warranty.
My car has the backup camera listed in the "Registry" as an option, my radio has a Mopar camera installed and turned on by a Dealer...! Warrantied, just saying.... :)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Dave, I have a lockpick and a uconnect module plugged into the radio and then the regular module that normally plugs into the radio is inserted behind those two. The lockpick comes with an AV module that plugs into the white receptacle. Then the camera plugs into the video RCA jack in the AV module. I have a Boyo camera on a license plate frame. Had I known I could have done what you did, I certainly would have. I have about $300 in the lockpick and camera. Then I have to put in a relay to turn off my license plate light at night so the camera isn't washed out, because the camera is right under the license plate light. Oh, well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Swalker...Sorry can't answer that...!

quite98...My wire schematic page called for WT/LG Line Feed to be inserted into pin slot #6...however pin slot #4 & #6 were plugged on my camera plug...I carefully drilled out #6 and proceded with hook up connections.....it works...!

Luke...Thx, now we know...!

Walnetto...that's exactly why I didn't want a LP camera...I wish I could have installed in my spoiler...who knows...maybe soon...!

I just love R & D, not too mention I hate it when someone tells me it can't happen or it won't work...LOL

·
Vendor
12,487 Posts
mission accomplished, did the same on my 11 R/T, however we used the Mopar part number 82212110,,

we can sell that kit for 181.00, retails for 219.00, for additional 20.00 will have tech prewire the connector,

all you have to do then is route the wiring harnesses, cut the camera out of the rear valence and mount in the lower rear fascia, for a better diy,

pretty easy to accomplish, we can add the option code to the vehicle and then all you need to do is have a dealer reconfigure the tipm,
pretty easy

between figuring out the wiring and the actual installation, we spent approx 2 hours
Luke

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Luke...can you post pic's of your camera install in the fascia

·
Registered
69 Posts
which camera??

Does anybody know whats different between these cameras? and Why did "Stevewhiteparts use the one they do?

p/n 82211346 (Grand Cherokee)
p/n 82211293 (commander)
p/n 82212110 (stevewhiteparts)

Is it a mount issue and if so, what works best in that spot?

1 - 20 of 354 Posts