Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

One of my current projects on my '09 RT is to find a way to lower the IAT. I currently have the Mopar CAI (77060003AC) installed on my vehicle but it's rather clear it's not taking much cold air at all. In efforts to gain some cooler air and better breathing I have the functional SRT hood scoops installed but not the full ram air kit and running a 180F thermostat.

I swapped in a K&N 3" high-flow filter and swapped out the Mopar blue filter, and so far I'm pleased. However during regular day-to-day driving the underhood temps are still very high. The intake tube and the filter itself is actually hot. The heat coming up from the motor and JBA headers isn't helping much either. I'm looking for a way to insulate or at least block off the intake air. If needed I'm also hoping to wrap the metal intake tube with a heat shield and use a 3M high temp duct tape to make sure it's airtight (something like this ).

Has anyone had any luck modifying the airbox (more like sheet of metal) on the Mopar CAI (77060003AC) or found a place to purchase another type of airbox by itself without having to purchase an entire CAI kit. I'm looking for any ideas to help seal this off and create some sort of heat shield.

Anyone have any information or guides on any of the following:

• Wrap CAI tube with heat shielding
  • Block heat from actual intake filter
  • Modify/add complete airbox
  • Extend 3" Mopar CAI tube and drop it down into the wheel well
  • I've also come across some threads about moving the IAT sensor..?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. My apologies if this has been posted before, but the I haven't found a lot of using the ever-so-handy search feature. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is your Mopar CAI kit the one that comes with the metal intake tube?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
the best results i got with my 09 RT was doing the radiator baffle mod, installing a "close out panel" (which was added to the '11s on up i think and kinda sheilds the engine heat down low), installing an SRT chin spoiler without the brake ducts, and doing a fender pull intake. when i datalog with the longer IAT sensor, i'm only 1 or 2 degrees above ambient after i've been moving for a bit. it also brings intake temps down quicker after sitting a while.

i can understand if you wouldnt go that route since you already have an aftermarket CAI.

oh, and read through this thread...it was super helpful to me:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/mystery-grey-iat-sensor-connector-solved-63343/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the best results i got with my 09 RT was doing the radiator baffle mod, installing a "close out panel" (which was added to the '11s on up i think and kinda sheilds the engine heat down low), installing an SRT chin spoiler without the brake ducts, and doing a fender pull intake. when i datalog with the longer IAT sensor, i'm only 1 or 2 degrees above ambient after i've been moving for a bit. it also brings intake temps down quicker after sitting a while.

i can understand if you wouldnt go that route since you already have an aftermarket CAI.

oh, and read through this thread...it was super helpful to me:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/mystery-grey-iat-sensor-connector-solved-63343/
Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate some more on the baffle mod & "close out panel" or do you have any pictures? I currently have the SRT spoiler and no brake ducts. But i'm up for all options currently. I may experiment with fabircating my own 3" tube lower into the front fender

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
The factory air box was a true enclosed system feeding air from outside the hot engine bay.

The factory 6.1 air box would've been plenty. Enclosed air boxes are the way to go. I don't see how anyone can call an open filter a cold air induction kit.

I personally think the Mopar system is poorly designed. The only company that I know of that offer an enclosed air box is Volant.

Maybe take a gander at the stock 6.1 box and tube. They're similar to the stock 5.7 stuff, minus the resonator and the benefits of a larger opening at the bottom of the box.

Also be weary of K&N stuff. Their filters actually don't filter much of anything. There's a ton of articles online about filtration studies and they pretty rank dead last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts