Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so now we finally have a cold air kit that makes the Mopar T/A Hood functional but it doesn't work with the 6.1L or so the documentation says that comes with Mopar Part Number 822142435. So being the resourceful bunch we are, who has tried to put it on a SRT8 6.1L?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mopar Cold Air Unit on 6.1L

Does anyone know why the Mopar Cold Air Unit 822142435 will not fit on a 6.1L with a stock manifold? Leebaker1973 put it on with a maggie (slight massaging needed). Is the stock manifold taller than the maggie? I also have a inquiry in with a guy I know from Chrysler engineering.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mopar Cold Air Unit 6.1 stock hood

I was at a dealership today and they wanted to sell me the cold air unit. I don't have the T/A hood... any known issues with the unit fitting under my type of hood?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mopar Cold Air Unit

I don't think it would work with the stock hood. The openings of the stock hood are too far apart for it to work.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I was at a dealership today and they wanted to sell me the cold air unit. I don't have the T/A hood... any known issues with the unit fitting under my type of hood?
your talking about the Mopar CAI (cold air intake) right? that would fit

·
Banned
324 Posts
the cai tube and filter fit just fine, what they are talking about is the part that bolts under the t/a hood and funnels the air to the cai and makes it a functional ram air system, probably wont work for the 6.1 because i think the intake is taller on the 6.1 and with the ram air part, i dont think you will be able to shut the hood without hitting, even the r/t are a close fit, my hood liner touches the top of my engine cover when closed and witht he ram air im beting i cant run the motor cover on it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mopar T/A Cold Air Unit

So, there are all these T/A hoods out there but no one has put the Mopar T/A underhood cold air unit on a 6.1L even thought Mopar says it won't work? I know Leebaker put it on a 6.1L but it has a Maggie. Anyone brave enough to put it on a stock 6.1L SRT8? Anyone connected to Chrysler or Mopar that could give the reason it won't fit? My bet is that the intake may be too tall. Does anyone have the kit installed that can give us SRT8 types some dimensions to see how much room we have underhood.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
yes its been done before, you have to search to find the pics of it though. Someone installed a TA hood on a b5 blue srt8 (without a maggie) there was one conflict where it needed to be rigged to fit, i believe the owner melted the plastic on the arm (it was on a leading edge so didn't alter the overall flow of air in the unit itself) to allow the hood to close.

Just like when i decided to alter my CAI to work with the ram air kit, it involved a little cutting on my part, or customization. Should be well within the abilities of most car modders.

My mistake, the b5 blue one was the guy with the maggie. I doubt the intake being too high is the main reason, it doesn't stick higher than the maggie would. If you can install a flat hood on a 6.1 it ought to fit as the underhood box really doesn't sit much deeper than the indent in the hood itself, the arm however does, so if there is going to be a conflict i'd put my money on the arm piece going to the intake.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cold Air Induction Kit for 6.1L SRT8

Okay after a little help from a friend at Chrysler, I can confirm that if you buy all three pieces (82211665AD T/A HOOD, 82212435 Cold Air Induction Unit and 77060003AB Cold Air Intake (Tube, Housing and Filter) that it will in fact work with a stock 6.1L SRT8. Leebaker1973 put it on a SRT8 with a Maggie but had to heat a corner to make it fit.

I asked why the instructions say does not work with a 6.1L. I was told because it was a 5.7L option. Yet, the instructions even say you need all 3 pieces for a 5.7L. :notallthere:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Okay after a little help from a friend at Chrysler, I can confirm that if you buy all three pieces (82211665AD T/A HOOD, 82212435 Cold Air Induction Unit and 77060003AB Cold Air Intake (Tube, Housing and Filter) that it will in fact work with a stock 6.1L SRT8. Leebaker1973 put it on a SRT8 with a Maggie but had to heat a corner to make it fit.

I asked why the instructions say does not work with a 6.1L. I was told because it was a 5.7L option. Yet, the instructions even say you need all 3 pieces for a 5.7L. :notallthere:
good find. wonder if it would work for the new 6.4L engine??

·
Registered
129 Posts
works fine 2010 challenger s/e

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll be in Huntington In. Sat 10/1/11 @ Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Car Show
Wendy said to tell ya "HI" and congrats on being #1 at the Monster Mopar Weekend

1 - 16 of 16 Posts