Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's some shots of this simple install.

Pry off dust covers:

Remove strut mounting nuts:

Test fit brace:

Bolt to factory cross member with these (washer against both side of factory cross member):

Calls for a 13/32" hole:

Driver's side, no problem:

Passenger side, not so good:

Right angle drill makes it easy, small standard drill would work:

Used a longer 3/8" drill for passenger side (3/8 worked as well as 13/32):

Assemble (30 ft-lbs for strut tower nuts, 10 ft-lbs for the brace nut/bolts):

·
Registered
695 Posts
where you buy it?.how much? Do they have one that will fit the shaker hood?

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Here's some shots of this simple install.

Pry off dust covers:

Remove strut mounting nuts:

Test fit brace:

Bolt to factory cross member with these (washer against both side of factory cross member):

Calls for a 13/32" hole:

Driver's side, no problem:

Passenger side, not so good:

Right angle drill makes it easy, small standard drill would work:

Used a longer 3/8" drill for passenger side (3/8 worked as well as 13/32):

Assemble (30 ft-lbs for strut tower nuts, 10 ft-lbs for the brace nut/bolts):

How long is the passenger's side bit and did you use a right angle drill for that one? Last question, is the factory brace bolts suppose to be 20ft/lbs.? I also have the brace but have not installed yet. I bought the strut caps too. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it from SteveWhiteParts, and the delivered cost was $303. Don't know about shaker hood.

Passenger side bit is 12" (got it at Home Depot), and yes, I did use the right angle drill. The torques were quoted from the Mopar install sheet, and that is what is tightened them to. I think the factory brace bolt torque is lower because: a) they use a nylock nut, so it will stay put, and b) the factory brace is a light hollow tube and could be crushed with too much torque.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I bought mine used from a trusted forum member for $250. I LOVE it! Not only does it look great, but those thick welds and attachment to the crossmember make it VERY solid. This mod makes a huge difference when you take turns aggressively. Even having the STP option, this mod makes the car much more solid.

Would buy again!

Congrats and nice pics of the install. Drilling was the only real issue, but otherwise not too bad.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OmahaRumble, yes, the drilling is a bit of a mental hurdle because, well, you're drilling your Challenger!!! I spent the $$ and bought brand new drill bits so they cut clean and fast. Also, I used a shop rag under the drill to catch the shavings.

No regrets.

I've done a bit of test driving and I can definitely feel the difference. More precise, more solid feeling turning in.

·
Registered
373 Posts
do you have to have your alignment re done after removing the strut mounts?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you have to have your alignment re done after removing the strut mounts?
No, the strut bolts do not move at all because the weight of the car is on the struts. Remove nuts, replace nuts, no movement.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Nice write up and pics Danner. I'm a fan of the Mopar front bracing too. Well worth the money, easy install, looks great, and improved handling.

Reactions: B5ClassicRT

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Nice write up D, if you would like to alter your OEM covers to fit over it here are pictures, once you see the pattern/what to remove its a fairly simple mod! :D

Reactions: Danner

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Great write up! I did the long drill bit solution, as well :D

Mopar front and rear brace for me. Stock suspension.
Check out the Gforce with these braces with almost bald tires.
They make a huge difference. Specially on the road course.
View attachment 203282

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Completely agree. They should come standard on every R/T and SRT, and the first mod anyone does to his Challenger.

After driving with first Challenger with the strut brace for months, I bought my current Challenger and I just couldn't get used to the sloppy, imprecise feeling handling without the brace. The first thing I did when I got home was bolt on the strut brace I had removed from my first Challenger.

I don't understand why Dodge doesn't bolt them onto the vehicles they give to the press. It they did, those magazines wouldn't be pissing all over the Challenger so much!

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sick'r bee: thanks for that cover trim idea. I will definitely do that :guiness:

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Shock Tower Covers

Here's a low price alternative to billet shock tower covers and these look good

Dodge Challenger Shock Tower Cap Set

Nice write up on the Mopar bar install.

Attachments

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Here's the ACC Cover with the Mopar bar. I decided not to install the nut covers, but the main strut cap fit nicely. I just didn't want to spend "billet" type money for covers:

Reactions: PSM450
1 - 20 of 47 Posts