Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MOPAR Front Strut Brace Popping Noise ???

I just had a mopar front strut brace installed (by the dealership I bought the car from) and now there is an occasional popping sound coming from the front while turning. It's only happened twice but never had this before the brace instilation. Is this sound normal, no big deal, or should I take it back to the dealership immediately?

Thanks,
Chris

2011 Challenger SRT8

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Have them or someone double check the tightness of the nuts on the strut towers where they installed the brace.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I just experienced the same noise after I installed a Petty brace on my 392. Only made the noise for about 10 minutes and then I have not heard it again after several more days of driving. Everything was and is torqued and tight, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I just had a mopar front strut brace installed (by the dealership I bought the car from) and now there is an occasional popping sound coming from the front while turning. It's only happened twice but never had this before the brace instilation. Is this sound normal, no big deal, or should I take it back to the dealership immediately?

Thanks,
Chris

2011 Challenger SRT8
Do you have any strut tower covers installed?
These sometimes cause a lot of noise and extra spacers are required.
Mine has no covers installed and I think it actually quieted the car down some.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Installed the Mopar brace and triple checked the torque on all the fasteners, and mine sounded like the front end was coming apart. I removed the brace and found the stock crossmember through which I had to drill holes, was actually flattening out from the bolts being tightened. I had to use a c clamp to squeeze the crossmember back to shape. Right now I'm running the brace without the two long bolts which pass through the crossmember and it's fine. Personally, I don't think the crossmember is beefy enough to have that brace bolted to it. If I had to do it again I'd install a different brace that replaces the factory crossmember.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Oops, spoke to soon. Only makes the popping sound during slow speed turns. On rough and bumpy roads it's nice and quiet. Let's us know if you find anything out from the dealer Chris.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Interesting thread as I'll be installing mine next weekend.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,112 Posts
No issues with mine, but I tightened the two bolts to the brace, and made sure that they were tight, but not so tight as to start "crushing" the factory installed cross brace.

Slow speed, high speed, or twisties............no "popping" and I'm liking the results.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I really like the performance of the car with the brace installed, much more responsive with less body roll. Very happy with the purchase as far as its performance goes. The one bolt on the Petty brace through the crossmember is tight and torqued to 15 ft-lbs. I even removed the brace to check for damage to the crossmember with none visible. Sounds like the trunk monkey has moved to the drivers front wheel well and bangs on the hood once when making slow turns in a drive through or entering a driveway etc.

·
Registered
339 Posts
No issues with mine, but I tightened the two bolts to the brace, and made sure that they were tight, but not so tight as to start "crushing" the factory installed cross brace.

Slow speed, high speed, or twisties............no "popping" and I'm liking the results.
That's how I started out, tightening the two bolts just to the point where I felt no deformation would occur. After a test ride where I got rattling I returned to the garage and torqued them to the Mopar requested spec. The rattle never got any better so I removed the brace to find that the crossmember was now slightly flattened. Two blocks of wood and a big "C" clamp brought the crossmember back to shape, so I tried the reinstall with all bolts torqued to spec. same rattle. This drove me nuts all day until I thought I'd try it without the two longs bolts, and the rattle stopped.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
The bolts that go through the factory cross member should came with anti crush sleeves that the bolt slides through. MY PETTY brace came with this, the. Front hole was larger than the rear. The bolt and sleeve slide through the front hole and only the bolt went all the way through the brace

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,112 Posts
That's how I started out, tightening the two bolts just to the point where I felt no deformation would occur. After a test ride where I got rattling I returned to the garage and torqued them to the Mopar requested spec. The rattle never got any better so I removed the brace to find that the crossmember was now slightly flattened. Two blocks of wood and a big "C" clamp brought the crossmember back to shape, so I tried the reinstall with all bolts torqued to spec. same rattle. This drove me nuts all day until I thought I'd try it without the two longs bolts, and the rattle stopped.
Dang, that's gotta be frustrating, but so far so good on mine. I'm hitting the road for about 700 miles at the end of the week. I'll see if mine starts acting up.

Have you checked the mounting points on the factory cross brace?? Are they secured??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.