Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Pretty nice looking unit. I have a K&N on mine but wish I had gone with the Cervini's... now I'll have to add this to my pile of 'which one do I want'. I'll be curious to see if rain causes any issues since the filter is below the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Mopar super center finally put the picture up. Thanks for the post. I have been keeping an eye on this new Mopar intake.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,121 Posts
It's been available for over a month now. I'm surprised no one has posted a photo of one installed on their car.
MoparSupercenter told me they have sold a bunch of them.
I'll be getting one in the spring when laying on the garage floor is not so painfully cold.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
well well well. I might actually consider this one. Where does the IAT sensor sit? At the normal spot or relocated?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
well well well. I might actually consider this one. Where does the IAT sensor sit? At the normal spot or relocated?
The IAT is relocated downstream closer to the filter.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
South Florida monsoon == Hydrolock == No thanks, for me.
I don't think Mopar would market it if Hydrolock was an issue:smokin:
For extra piece of mind there is a sock pre-filter you can add to cover the filter.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks like an rebadged AEM Cai...they have been known to outsource
for Mopar. If so, then maybe an AEM bypass valve is in order, for the more rainy/wet climes...:browsmiley:

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I don't think Mopar would market it if Hydrolock was an issue:smokin:
For extra piece of mind there is a sock pre-filter you can add to cover the filter.
Don't kid yourself, they would just refuse to cover damages. After all, the CAI would be what caused the failure.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
a monsoon will not cause you to hydrolock. Submerge that sucker and all bets are off
Anyone living in the Miami area can tell you that it doesn't actually take a monsoon -- an unexpected hard afternoon summer's rain can leave you stranded in water up to your wheel hubs, in certain locations - locations you may not know about. After every major thunderstorm, you can go to certain parts of the city, and see stranded cars who did not realize how deep it was, or thought they could make it.

Again, everyone should make their own choice of course, but in my area, for my lifestyle, for the small incremental improvement on a street car and the number of times I would actually rely on that degree of additional power, versus so many other ways to obtain it with less risk... just not gonna happen. Have you ever actually hydrolocked a motor? I have. 1996 Corvette with bone stock air intake, got caught at night, in a deluge, going to a friend's house.... and before you say 'that could never happen to me..'

Here is a picture of what the street I died out on looks like, when going there 10 or 15 times:

http://i54.tinypic.com/vr79u9.jpg

See the straight road?
See the houses relatively close to street?
Notice anything in particular that would warn you away, after having traveled it a dozen times?

Here is an annotated photo of same scene:

http://i55.tinypic.com/4v06k4.jpg

* Notice the sheer number of street drains - red (clue!)
* Notice the huge number of palm trees - green (clue!)
* Notice the extreme 'crown' and change in elevation across the road - brown (clue!)

When it rains, many dry palm fronds come down, clog the much-needed drains, and rapid, deep pooling occurs in a matter of minutes. Only locals and residents know this. If you transited this when dry, you would have no reason to avoid it at night during a sudden squall. The ignorance of that cost me a new motor.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Guys,

Unless I am mistaken the original Mopar CAI was a rebadged AEM Brute Force Intake in gray.

This looks to be identical to the AEM Brute Force Long Ram intake I have on my car in chrome so I am sure it's the same one in a different color.

Assuming it is it installs easily although it does require splicing of the IAT wires to relocate it down in the tube just prior to the filter. The unit places the filter very low right behind and just above the drivers side fog lamp unit. That being said it is also right behind an air deflector that is built into the lower grill assembly. That deflector can be removed for direct flow air into the CAI but that would scare the hell out of me when it rains. To get water in it wouldn't take much in terms of plowing thru a good amount of water several inches deep that is for sure but knowing I have it I also know I don't want to put myself in that situation...unless I need a good excuse to tell the wife why I need a 426... :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts