Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my new ceramic brake pads installed, I decided it was time to remove the MOPAR mud guards I had installed shortly after buying my SRT. Why? And was it a good idea?

Immediately after putting on the MOPAR guards I regretted doing so, not because they were a bad part, but because I thought it detracted from the clean lines on the car. Just something about the guards made it look less sleek. But, thinking it was a good sacrifice, I stuck with them.

I had to contend with stuff getting in between the plastic on the guards and the body of the car (usually blades of grass, and how that happened is puzzling), and worse, if you happened to not be real careful when waxing these guards it's hard to remove residue later is very noticable. Thank you Griots dried on wax remover.

But, they did work. They did keep mud and road slop from getting kicked up on the fenders. Well, mostly.

When I put on 255's all around, well, it just looked silly to me that the tires extended out further than the guards. Also, the 3M tape used on the rears had stopped adhering to the guards. The car side was fine. MOPAR should not pre-install the tape and let you swab off the plastic, or maybe it's just impossible to adhere to that kind of plastic. Whatever.

So, off they came. On the fronts there is some damage to the clear coat where the guards rubbed, but it's superficial and with polish it will buff out. The rears not so much (there's some) the biggest issue is removing the 3M tape strips, again with care and Goo Gone, this isn't a problem.

I like the way the car looks, it's regained the sleek line. But, boy, I sure notice how mud and water get kicked up on the sides behind the wheel wells now. The 255's really toss around slop.

I likely will really hate it when I notice rock chips when it warms up enough to wax her again.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Another reason why the RPI ones are better... ;)

3 reasons even.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Doonny I agree the car looks better without the guards. But, I have put the cheap rpi guards on my car and am glad I did. For over two months the Highway dept. has been resurfing the highway between where I live and Montgomery. The RPI mudguards now have a big glob of tar on them. Otherwise this would be on my paint job.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When I had my new ceramic brake pads installed, I decided it was time to remove the MOPAR mud guards I had installed shortly after buying my SRT. Why? And was it a good idea?

Immediately after putting on the MOPAR guards I regretted doing so, not because they were a bad part, but because I thought it detracted from the clean lines on the car. Just something about the guards made it look less sleek. But, thinking it was a good sacrifice, I stuck with them.

I had to contend with stuff getting in between the plastic on the guards and the body of the car (usually blades of grass, and how that happened is puzzling), and worse, if you happened to not be real careful when waxing these guards it's hard to remove residue later is very noticable. Thank you Griots dried on wax remover.

But, they did work. They did keep mud and road slop from getting kicked up on the fenders. Well, mostly.

When I put on 255's all around, well, it just looked silly to me that the tires extended out further than the guards. Also, the 3M tape used on the rears had stopped adhering to the guards. The car side was fine. MOPAR should not pre-install the tape and let you swab off the plastic, or maybe it's just impossible to adhere to that kind of plastic. Whatever.

So, off they came. On the fronts there is some damage to the clear coat where the guards rubbed, but it's superficial and with polish it will buff out. The rears not so much (there's some) the biggest issue is removing the 3M tape strips, again with care and Goo Gone, this isn't a problem.

I like the way the car looks, it's regained the sleek line. But, boy, I sure notice how mud and water get kicked up on the sides behind the wheel wells now. The 255's really toss around slop.

I likely will really hate it when I notice rock chips when it warms up enough to wax her again.
The same reasons I didn't install any and probably the same reasons a few years down the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts