Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2012 Challenger R/T. I have done some reading about cold air intakes increasing HP by 10 and increasing MPG by 2-5. Is there a preference between the Mopar cold air intake or the K&N cold air intake systems? Mopar is more expensive, and it's brand name, but which is better?

Thanks for your input ;)

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Neither. The Mopar unit is overpriced junk, and K&N filters are some of the worse filtering elements out there.

I'd go with the Legmaker AirHammer CAI. Cheaper, much better gains, looks, and retains the least amount of heat.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Lots of good brands out there. K&N is walmart quality. Steer clear of it.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
Lol k&n Walmart quality. Some of you guys act like this is your first car you have ever owned. By the way here in Miami they sell jones mufflers in discount auto parts. So I guess we should stay clear of that.
K&N is crap compared to the other filters on the market, doesn't get much simpler. ;)

I wouldn't go with the Mopar OR K&N CAI. I'd stick with the stock CAI (Yes, we have a CAI from the factory) or spend the bucks for a Volant with the PowerCore filter. Anything else is a waste of money, IMO.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dyno your car without a filter, then with one, you will see a difference. Most aftermarket filters are somewhere in the middle and you arent going to get much HP with any of them, 5-10hp maybe, regardless of the "claims". Your engine is basicly a big air pump, the more air it sucks in (intake) and pushes out (exhaust) the more efficient it will be. If one air filter is flowing more than another, then that air filter is not filtering as good as the other, pretty simple really!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Neither. The Mopar unit is overpriced junk, and K&N filters are some of the worse filtering elements out there.

I'd go with the Legmaker AirHammer CAI. Cheaper, much better gains, looks, and retains the least amount of heat.

This man speaks the truth. I shake my head whenever I see someone putting any K&N product on their car, same goes for the Mopar "CAI" (metal tube? really?)

I've got the Airaid CAI and love it, but IMO the Legmaker unit is just as nice. Either of those would be the best choice.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
Dyno your car without a filter, then with one, you will see a difference. Most aftermarket filters are somewhere in the middle and you arent going to get much HP with any of them, 5-10hp maybe, regardless of the "claims". Your engine is basicly a big air pump, the more air it sucks in (intake) and pushes out (exhaust) the more efficient it will be. If one air filter is flowing more than another, then that air filter is not filtering as good as the other, pretty simple really!
If the engine is unable to flow as much as the filter is rated for then having a filter that flows more is pointless and a waste of money. The intakes on the 2011+ already flow very well, an aftermarket CAI isn't going to provide much benefit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The only difference between a 2011/2012 and the 2010/2009's intake is the shape of the botton of the airbox (11/12, triangle)(10/09 round)and they use the same filter. I have never heard of an other than "stock" CAI that didnt make power, how ever little the gain. If one CAI make 10hp and another makes 15hp, guess what you will never ever feel or miss that 5hp difference, unless your car is a dyno queen!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Lol k&n Walmart quality. Some of you guys act like this is your first car you have ever owned. By the way here in Miami they sell jones mufflers in discount auto parts. So I guess we should stay clear of that.

Yep, and up here in Sarasota, they cost $36 a piece. Hell of a deal if you ask me. But in reality, they have no FILTERING effect on the engine.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
The only difference between a 2011/2012 and the 2010/2009's intake is the shape of the botton of the airbox (11/12, triangle)(10/09 round)and they use the same filter. I have never heard of an other than "stock" CAI that didnt make power, how ever little the gain. If one CAI make 10hp and another makes 15hp, guess what you will never ever feel or miss that 5hp difference, unless your car is a dyno queen!
The filters are different with the 2011+. Ask me how I know. :D but yes, a few HP difference isn't going to make any noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info. Sounds like the stock air flow is great, and the extra $ to put on aftermarket CAI is more for hood lifters than true performance. I appreciate all the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts
One advantage of an aftermarket CAI, besides the sound, is its looks. The factory air box, although efficient, is ugly.

A CAI is not a good bang for your performance buck. Buy one simply for sound and to dress up your engine bay. Here is what mine looks like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
Yahooligan, the only difference between the stock filters in the 2010/2009's and the 2011/2012's is the shape, it's still the same filter material.
Never said it wasn't the same material, you said the only difference was the hole below the airbox, I said that's not the only difference. It's also the shape of the filter. :D

And, honestly, going around the track today I really don't think a CAI would have made a lick of difference in my lap times. It's the last thing on my list.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.