Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, got my paint pen in, and all my prep tools, and went to work. One scratch was down to the primer and about an inch long on orange paint.

Cleaning went fine. Cleared the area, used rubbing alcohol. Used the toothpick method. It was a little sloppier than I'd hoped, because the paint was pretty thick.

After it dried I used a Rust-oleum mini zip sanding block (foam, about an inch wide) and some 1500 grit. Seeing the scratching, I thought I'd reinforce the clear coat by doing a 1.5 inch square of clear coat around the mark. This left a raised area, which I tried to sand down after about 3 hours, with 1500 grit and then 3000 grit. It still left an uneven edge.

I followed this up by taking a 10-inch orbital, 2500 rpm, with some Griots standard polish in the yellow bottle. It got rid of all the stuff marks, but it's still not flush with the surface.

I'm probably going to resend it in a few days. I should have waited to sand it, so it would be harder. The clear was peeling up a bit on the edges as I was sanding it, like peeling elmer's off your fingers. One of the spots peeled off completely, with the tiny plug of orange paint attached.

I tried a razor on one of the spots, with mixed.results, but I doubt I'll use this method. The car looks better than it did, but there's still room for improvement, and hopefully I can sand down the bulges without taking down the surrounding clear coat too much.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,707 Posts
I know I wasted a whole bottle of touch up on a small chip, kept redoing it, finally said, "Screw it, it's good enough until I get the whole car repainted in 10 years".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I wasted a whole bottle of touch up on a small chip, kept redoing it, finally said, "Screw it, it's good enough until I get the whole car repainted in 10 years".
In my current position, I need the car to be show ready, so it eats up a lot of my non-working time. It sucks that there isn't a detailed nearby that I'd trust not to eat through the paint with a simple wash and wax.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,215 Posts
While I haven't needed to paint on the car finish, but when trying to blend I mask and 1 coat, mask a bit farther out 2nd coat, etc. That way there is not one edge. Then mask past the outer most mask line, and sand the whole thing, then polish

A Guy

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
The longer you can let the paint cure, the better. A week or so is best, much less chance of it coming up with the polishing.

The touch up stuff is lacquer based, so no matter how bad of a job you do, a little lacquer thinner on a q-tip gets you a mulligan.

Reactions: Zuke's Mopar

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
When doing a touch up, you just want to fill the scratch or chip. Try to stay off of the undamaged paint.

The hardest thing to accept is that you will always see a chip touch up because you know exactly where it is and what you are looking at.

Other people won't see a thing unless they are some kind of weirdo that goes looking for paint chips on your car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The longer you can let the paint cure, the better. A week or so is best, much less chance of it coming up with the polishing.

The touch up stuff is lacquer based, so no matter how bad of a job you do, a little lacquer thinner on a q-tip gets you a mulligan.
I thought is seemed odd that it said laquer on the bottle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts