Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Every December, racers and gearheads gather at the Performance Racing Industry (PRI) show, located in sunny Orlando, Florida.

It's also the perfect opportunity for the automakers and their parts divisions to roll out some serious hardware, in preparation for next year's racing season. In 2010, Chrysler is pulling out all the stops – it's Motor Parts division (yes, that's what MOPAR really stands for), is releasing an all new 426 cubic inch Hemi V8, based on the Generation III series architecture.

This motor sports an aluminum block and heads, comes with a complete oil pan and intake manifold assembly and will retail for $13,675, when production begins later this month. Considering it cranks out a whopping 540-hp and 530 ft-lbs of torque, plus what original factory iron-block 426s go for, that's a considerable bargain.

Other cool stuff at the PRI Mopar display this year, include a new Challenger Drag Pack car, powered by a 500-plus cubic-inch V10. Already approved for NHRA Stock and Super Stock racing, the first of these limited edition drag only specials will roll off the assembly line next year and promise to make things rather interesting, especially as Ford is about to dish up another Cobra Jet Mustang, likely in time for the 2012 season.

Other cool Mopar stuff for 2011 includes cold air intake kits, new W2 aluminum cylinder heads for traditional small block V8s (read 340/360 Wedge engines), Gen III Hemi valvetrain tie bars, aluminum blocks, head stud kits and new Challenger rear strut brace kits. For information on these and other new Mopar products, click on the link below.

More: Mopar Reveals New 426 Hemi Crate Engine, Other Goodies at PRI Show on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
198 Posts
Either wait for this to be put into a challenger or trade your 392 later!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Nice..........

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
IMO, this motor will make it into the Challenger. I am willing to bet, maybe by 2013MY. Any guesses on HP/TQ? My guess: 520HP 500TQ 1/4 mile estimates: [email protected] given the right gearing, traction, suspension tweaks and a little less mass. Base Price: $54,990

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Now we know what they're doing with the left over 6.1 intake manifolds.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Love to drop one of those in my SRT 8 as a sleeper....:smokin: Not that they are not fast as it is, but you could have another 115 horses and by looking at the engine... No one would be the wiser...:browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Love to drop one of those in my SRT 8 as a sleeper....:smokin: Not that they are not fast as it is, but you could have another 115 horses and by looking at the engine... No one would be the wiser...:browsmiley:
You'd want to paint the block orange before you dropped it in. :sleep:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mopar also announced a new distributor kit for 5.7 and 6.1 motors coming out soon, so you can forgo the coil packs and electronic ignition if you want to do it old-school.

·
Registered
123 Posts
IMHO trading in my '09 R/T for an '11 SRT 392 HEMI is financially stupid and irrational but until 5 minutes ago I was thinking of doing it. Trading it in on a '12 SRT 426 HEMI would be even more financially stupid as I'm sure the car will be even more expensive. So where do I sign?

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
I would drop a "crate" into the SRT and keep it. Probably be less money too????

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was thinking Magnacharger...now I'm thinking...screw dat! Aluminum Crate baby!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Somebody in marketing is paying attention. The cubes and HP progression has been going on for awhile but it has accelerated in the past three years under this (Challenger) platform at Chrysler. Ford, Mustang/Cobra. I wouldn't include gm...

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
So how much are the after market 426s going for and are these new Mopar units full forged units?

This motor sports an aluminum block and heads, comes with a complete oil pan and intake manifold assembly and will retail for $13,675, when production begins later this month. Considering it cranks out a whopping 540-hp and 530 ft-lbs of torque, plus what original factory iron-block 426s go for, that’s a considerable bargain

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Not sure this will make it in the Challenger, guessing the emissions are an issue but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The increased displacement with this number of cylinders would likely be a challenge for meeting emissions standards. Not to mention the MPG Gestapo.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
So how much are the after market 426s going for and are these new Mopar units full forged units?

This motor sports an aluminum block and heads, comes with a complete oil pan and intake manifold assembly and will retail for $13,675, when production begins later this month. Considering it cranks out a whopping 540-hp and 530 ft-lbs of torque, plus what original factory iron-block 426s go for, that’s a considerable bargain

From shophemi.com:

HEMI 426 Late Model This is our modern twist on the classic 426 that dominated NASCAR and the road in the muscle era. 585 HP with 560 Ft-lbs. of Torque. 30 % Increase in Torque...
SKU:
AMI-HCT426BA

Starting At:
$14,660.42

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
The increased displacement with this number of cylinders would likely be a challenge for meeting emissions standards. Not to mention the MPG Gestapo.

more CUBES IS not an emission issue, but MPG yes I agree.
It apears to be a bigger 6.1 and more cam I am sure. But what are the heads they are using, the more inches willl need more flow too.

You can make any engine clean with EFI and a CPU. Been there done that.... I worked on emission systems for GM for 18 years, a viper, ZR1 etc are clean and so are large modern deisels too..:) :guiness:

Again my other question is if Mopar is releasing this engine what about a flash update new ECM BOX programing etc?

Wonder how and where is that part of the puzzle? :)

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Impressive engine but I wonder what the full cost would be including getting it installed. Also if it was forged that would be sweet.

I will probably just stick with my heads/cam etc. plan on my current 6.1 but it is tempting.

I hope it ends up in a new Challenger...Too bad it wasn't in the 2009....

James

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Really spiffy, and love the 426 cubic inch part, but not a great performance buy. Bring another $3K to $5K to get it installed.

$13K gets you 540 hp.

One tenth of that money will get you a mac daddy nitrous kit on your existing 6.1 for the same hp.

I totally get why a person would drop one of these in. But for me, I'll take the way cheaper route, go about as fast and stash the rest of the money.

Not dissing the crate 426- it's very cool. Just saying there are other options for a lot less money and same speed.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts