Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if mopar will offer the Shaker hood from the 2014s as a package (hood, bubble, and hardware)? Hope they do, cause I would buy one. what do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Ya I'm sure they will.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
The car companies sell the parts separately but am sure the parts dept. will offer it as a package, they may even include a kit with the hood painted and installed.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I might go for that. Problem is I have the hood to fender stripes and kinda like them.

Don't know how they'd play with the shaker scoop.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You know, I am always amused by these type of posts. There have been aftermarket shakers out since at least 2009 (I have one). What is the particular fascination with a MOPAR branded hood? In your eyes, does it look better? From what I have seen, it functions exactly like a Cervini's. Alot of the same members posting about how great the Mopar shaker is also have posted about wanting to supercharge (aftermarket), heads and cam (aftermarket) CAI (aftermarket), exhaust (aftermarket), or wheels and tires (aftermarket). So much for "I am going to keep my car ALL MOPAR!!" thought process.
It will more than likely cost at least a third again of what the aftermarket charges. Do you like to pay more for the same thing? In the end, it won't add to collectability. Check out how many shaker or TA hooded 70's models cross the auction block that were never equipped that way from the factory. They cost just as much as the "original" variety.

Enlighten me. :guiness:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
OEM is OEM, some guys like that.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
OEM is OEM, some guys like that.
Great answer, check out the OP's mod's. Hardly OEM. Question still stands. I could half way understand if there were alot of complaints about aftermarket products not fitting, or too many modifications needed to make them work, etc, but that is not the case. Overall, almost everyone who has purchased aftermarket shakers have been extremely happy with them, regardless of brand.
I think it's the false idea that an "original" part makes the car worth more. It doesn't. If it's sold, short term (within 10 years, it's just another used car.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
Great answer, check out the OP's mod's. Hardly OEM. Question still stands. I could half way understand if there were alot of complaints about aftermarket products not fitting, or too many modifications needed to make them work, etc, but that is not the case. Overall, almost everyone who has purchased aftermarket shakers have been extremely happy with them, regardless of brand.
I think it's the false idea that an "original" part makes the car worth more. It doesn't. If it's sold, short term (within 10 years, it's just another used car.
Anything that has value down the road needs to be the original stock parts. The cars with value aren't customized they are done to the original broadcast sheets.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The best thing about the OEM Shaker is that they use the lightweight aluminum Hood and it has the original trim ring around the Shaker Bubble which is a real nice added feature like the original kits from the 70's!!!! Trust me the aftermarket fiberglass hoods are heavy!!! I had a Mr. Norm's Shaker on my SRT8 Challenger with a Kenne Bell supercharger and when we were priming and painting it I helped move that thing around and install it afterwards and to be honest it was just way too heavy but did look nice!!!!

·
Vendor
12,215 Posts
Don't be in a hurry for it, it will be a while
Luke

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Anything that has value down the road needs to be the original stock parts. The cars with value aren't customized they are done to the original broadcast sheets.
Agreed. But, if you purchase a Mopar shaker and have it installed, it is aftermarket. Not factory installed, isn't it? Same as buying a 70's shaker from Year One and putting it on a 72 440 Challenger that originally came with a 340, standard hood. In addition, how many here are going to keep their cars for 35+ years for it to make a difference? Cars are poor investments.
Ask anyone whose traded in a MOPAR exterior accesory optioned car on something new, if they got anything extra for it.
Not being judgemental, but there's alot of people fooling themselves, and spending alot extra for the same thing that's already been out there. Myself, don't see anything special about it. Same as the "new" Scat Pack offerings. Would be alot cheaper to get a Maggie or Vortech, or do a heads and cam, aftermarket, than paying for the overpriced items that MOPAR sells. Or get an SRT and be done with it....JMHO. Guess that's why everyone is different, with different opinions.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The best thing about the OEM Shaker is that they use the lightweight aluminum Hood and it has the original trim ring around the Shaker Bubble which is a real nice added feature like the original kits from the 70's!!!! Trust me the aftermarket fiberglass hoods are heavy!!! I had a Mr. Norm's Shaker on my SRT8 Challenger with a Kenne Bell supercharger and when we were priming and painting it I helped move that thing around and install it afterwards and to be honest it was just way too heavy but did look nice!!!!
This has been discussed before (weight of fiberglass hoods vs the stocker). I'm aware of how heavy the fiberglass hood is, I have one. I believe the end consensus was a whole difference of about 8-10 lbs. In the end, is that all that much of a big deal? Aluminum also dents, fiberglass does not.

Cervini's and Danko both have trim rings.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You know, I am always amused by these type of posts. There have been aftermarket shakers out since at least 2009 (I have one). What is the particular fascination with a MOPAR branded hood? In your eyes, does it look better? From what I have seen, it functions exactly like a Cervini's. Alot of the same members posting about how great the Mopar shaker is also have posted about wanting to supercharge (aftermarket), heads and cam (aftermarket) CAI (aftermarket), exhaust (aftermarket), or wheels and tires (aftermarket). So much for "I am going to keep my car ALL MOPAR!!" thought process.
It will more than likely cost at least a third again of what the aftermarket charges. Do you like to pay more for the same thing? In the end, it won't add to collectability. Check out how many shaker or TA hooded 70's models cross the auction block that were never equipped that way from the factory. They cost just as much as the "original" variety.

We are conditioned from birth to Love and Desire anything new from the almighty FACTORY, and devalue the work of our hands. You thought the Soviets had a good propaganda machine! Ha! Theirs was child's play compared to the corporations advertising machine! "The Price is RIGHT" and don't you doubt that for a minute! So we want new, and from the factory, makes us all happy inside. That's the sad reality, played out here. Saying so, I can't shake the feeling that factory is nicer, it's the conditioning! :scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

I would prefer to have aluminum instead of aftermarket fiberglass.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

First, because its my choice and seems that when something that comes made from Chrysler engineers it FITS, everytime, dont matter the price. Plus, if they offer an aluminum hood, well then its really a no brainer. And as far as 70s models that never came from the factory with Shakers or T/A hoods, wouldnt you rather add a hood with all the hardware and trim as it came from the factory? I know I would. All it really comes down to is choice, you chose a cervini shaker, Great!! Your choice.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The Vette has been made of fiberglass since 54. Seems to hold up just fine. So for being able to say your hood, that looks the same and performs the same as my aftermarket fiberglass hood, is made of the almighty aluminum, you are willing to pay $500 to a $1000 more? Real good financial sense there. Now, as a caveat, I could understand if there were AFR, Cervini, Danko, etc owners compalining their hoods they paid good money for, were falling apart; that one would rather have a factory piece. But, that is not the case. I have yet to read about a dissatisfied atermarket hood customer, after the hood was installed and all was said and done.

As far as fitment, the only issues I have heard of is people buying, not knowing what they are doing, and then complaining about fitment. Mine fit just fine and still does. Of course, I was smart enough to take it to a body shop and have them install it. And yes, my body man said it was an easy install, first rate product, as I am sure the other brands are. I have also heard the horror stories of the people who bought MOPAR TA hoods that received them dinged and dented. Do a search. So much for "factory" quality control. Let's also not forget about the long delays MOPAR has had in producing said TA hood and now the air intake box that has been backordered forever. Would suck to have bought a MOPAR shaker (paying $1000 extra for it) only to find the corresponding airbox is on backorder till God knows when, wouldn't it?

It's your car, your money, have at it. Don't be suprised in a few years when you try to get an additional price incentive for it, because it has a "factory" shaker, it will sell the same as mine- a used car.

Lastly, don't get me wrong, I'd have the same opinion if we were talking about wheels, radios, superchargers, brakes, etc. Just because it's "factory" doesn't necessarily mean it's better, but it does usually mean it costs twice as much for the exact same thing.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I got one for you.. Why does the factory windshield wipers last ten times longer than any aftermarket? what about original batteries? at least twice to three times longer. Just agree to disagree this is why the world is full of so many different people.. otherwise we would all drive Camaro's and be unhappy :silly:

·
Registered
2014 Shaker
137 Posts
You are arguing with a bunch of people that don't necessarily disagree with you. Nobody is saying that the Cervini is not a good option. What this really comes down to in my eyes is value. Not all value is monetary. Some people value OEM. That's their choice. If money to performance ratio is all that matters to you, then why do you drive a Challenger? There are obviously better choices in that regard. It's just a matter of what you personally value. I hope you don't take this as an attack. It's not intended as such. I'm just trying to get you to see what the rest of us do.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts