Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although the stock pistol grip shifter is OK I really wanted an old school ball shifter like I had on a Munci 4 speed. The Hurst version was more than I needed and cost more that I wanted to pay. I found that there was Mopar version available. So, I ordered one from Mopar Super Center for $108. The install takes maybe 30 mins. The shifter is 1" shorter than the stock shifter and has 4.5:1 lever ratio.

Tools

Plastic trim removal tools
13mm socket/ratchet - 1/4" version is pefect
Flat bladed screw driver
Pliers
Side cutters

Whats in the box

1) The shifter
2) A tie wrap
3) Instruction sheet

How To

Using one of the trim tools pry the shift boot bezel away from the console.

Using the 13mm ratchet remove the 2 bolts that hold the shifter to the transmission.

Now remove the shifter so you can take the plastic retainer off that holds the leather boot to the shifter. Here is where the flat bladed screw driver is used. The retainer is a real tight fit and there is a dab of glue holding it to the shifter and boot. Be careful as 1 slip and you probably will take trip to the emergency room.

Once you have the retainer removed you can install the leather boot on the new shifter. There is a groove at the base of the shifter and you need to tighten the tie wrap tight enough to hold the boot in the groove. I had to use a pliers to get it tight enough. Cut off the excess tie wrap with the side cutters.

Algin the shifter in the boot, re-install it on the transmission, tighten the 2 bolts to 15 ft lbs , snap the bezel back in the console and your done.

How does it work?

It feels great and the short throw is a bonus.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You must have got the last one in stock. I ordered one from Mopar Supercenter and got an email that it was back ordered, no shipping in site. Called local dealer to check network and he gave me 4 dealers that were supposed to have them in stock. None did. The South Carolina dealer wanted to know what the deal was as he had gotten 7 calls that morning for the same part number.

I'll leave mine on back order unless I decided to go with a Hurst.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You must have got the last one in stock. I ordered one from Mopar Supercenter and got an email that it was back ordered, no shipping in site. Called local dealer to check network and he gave me 4 dealers that were supposed to have them in stock. None did. The South Carolina dealer wanted to know what the deal was as he had gotten 7 calls that morning for the same part number.

I'll leave mine on back order unless I decided to go with a Hurst.
If you just google the p/n you get;
p5155284ab - Google Search

Looks like the Speedlogix guys have them in stock, albeit at MSRP.

Jeg's want over $150 for them.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you just google the p/n you get;
p5155284ab - Google Search

Looks like the Speedlogix guys have them in stock, albeit at MSRP.

Jeg's want over $150 for them.
I've already sent a message to Speedlogix. I already had the part number. The problem is a lot of vendors websites let you order it then send you something telling you its been back ordered.

So what good does googling the part number do? Does it tell you if the vendor has it in stock? It looks like Mopar Supercenter has it in stock too, from your google search.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've already sent a message to Speedlogix. I already had the part number. The problem is a lot of vendors websites let you order it then send you something telling you its been back ordered.

So what good does googling the part number do? Does it tell you if the vendor has it in stock? It looks like Mopar Supercenter has it in stock too, from your google search.
True enough, but it gives you a few places to shoot emails to.

I wish dealers wouldn't do that shit, if it's not in stock, put an ETA, even if it's bullshit at least we know they have to order it.

I wanted to order a set of Factory Repro wheels this week so they'd be here when the Challenger shows up, apparently the current wait time is 30-45 days, ie. whenever the damned container shows up in Long Beach.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
True enough, but it gives you a few places to shoot emails to...
Cool. Yeah you're right, I wish they wouldn't do that kind of crap either. If they don't have it in stock then say so. I went through the same thing ordering tires and actually had a few charge my credit card even though they sent me a "we don't have a clue when we can ship it" e-mail.

I'll wait on a reply from Speedlogix (or other forum vendor) before I go to other companies. I think you're right about JEGS, look like they have it in stock but wow... they are way over the price everyone else wants.

·
Registered
585 Posts
broke down for a Hurst and my old school T handle from beloved 68 RR, what I'm trying to say is I have the Mopar shrtshftr arm I liked it alot but will part with it if you want it PM me for questions dtails, via paypal?

***********************this item sold 4/13/11 thanks**************************

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Man I appreciate it but already have one on the road from Speedlogix, otherwise I'd take you up on that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Hemi57! I guess I got the last one ;) The car is two weeks old (2011 R/T) and I really didn't like the shifter. This has made a huge difference. Much smoother shifts.

The install was not as easy as I'd hoped :( Couldn't even get the bezel off without much struggling. I finally grabbed the back of it and it pulled up enough to get a tool in. The clip was a pain too! I even had trouble getting the bezel back on. I ended up pounding it back down with my fist.

I also finally got into extended mode in the EVIC tonight!

Next I tackle the skip shift eliminator!

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Reuse the pistol grip knob?

Can you reuse the factory pistil grip knob band just use the mopar shift handle?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I suspect you can assuming you can remove both from the rod. But, the pistol grip may not be the same thread pitch and if it is you may not be able to tighten down and have it aligned correctly. Besides, I think your back to about the same height as the the original and that defeats the purpose of the short throw shifter to start with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mopar Shifter

I also have purchased the Mopar shifter, and will have my shop install it with other items like my Corsa cat bat once my car arrives.

Question---is that plastic retainer clip not needed with the Mopar shifter?

By the way, great pictures and step-by-step instructions!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts