Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought the mopar splash guards from my dealer.
it has the plastic rivets.what tool did you use to put them in with.
they wont fit into a normal rivet gun, i have 2 differant ones
and they wont fit into either one. help.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
I used a tool that I got at the local NAPA store (see link). This tool operates at a 90 degree angle and comes with an assortment of plastic rivets which include the size you need for your splash guards, in case you need spares. It was more expensive than the tool that operates straight on such as those from Amazon or Harbor Freight. I don't think either works any better but I didn't have to wait for this one to arrive and it does require less space to operate if you need to work in a tighter area. This was not required for the splash guard installation. Either type of tool will work fine.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BK_7702865_0006394163

·
Registered
954 Posts
i used a pair of needle nosed pliers and a pair of side cutters(hey im a cheap skate!) I grabbed the rivet stem with the needle nose and used the side cutters as a base to pry off of,it works great!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deezlman,,, do you have a napa part number. they looked at me like i was dizzy.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
I took one of the smaller rivet guides to the drill press and made it larger to fit he rivit. This way I did not need to go find a rivet gun with a larger rivet guide.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought the straight rivet gun from Harbor Freight. To use it, I had to remove the rear wheels. Do the 90 degree type fit without removing the wheels?

·
Registered
958 Posts
the rivets seemd too small (they just slipped right thru) so I ditched them and went to Auto Zone. They have a rack with plastic fasteners of all sizes. I found a package with the right diameter and depth and used those instead. They pushed in by hand and are secure. The double sided tape in they gave me sucked, suggest you get something better. I also did not cut the flaps per the directions, I drilled a new hole to line up with the exisiting holes on the car. It all worked out just fine.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I bought the rivet gun from Harbor Freight like some of the others. It came with an assortment of rivets, some of which were nearly identical to those that came in the kit from Mopar.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I didn't have access to a large plastic rivet tool so I had to go with plan B which I think worked out better. I installed a set of speed clips-the type that comes with car speakers, and used black sheet metal screws to hold the guards on. This way, I can unscrew and unmount the guards whenever I want and won't have to drill out the plastic rivets each time.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Harbor Freight $14. What are you waiting for, do it!

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I didn't have access to a large plastic rivet tool so I had to go with plan B which I think worked out better. I installed a set of speed clips-the type that comes with car speakers, and used black sheet metal screws to hold the guards on. This way, I can unscrew and unmount the guards whenever I want and won't have to drill out the plastic rivets each time.
That's a great idea! If I ever remove mine, I'll probably put them back with screws instead. The rivets are kind of a pain to remove.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
the rivets seemd too small (they just slipped right thru) so I ditched them and went to Auto Zone. They have a rack with plastic fasteners of all sizes. I found a package with the right diameter and depth and used those instead. They pushed in by hand and are secure. The double sided tape in they gave me sucked, suggest you get something better. I also did not cut the flaps per the directions, I drilled a new hole to line up with the existing holes on the car. It all worked out just fine.
For what they charge, I still can't believe they didn't line the holes up in the 1st place!!

:disgust:

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
For what they charge, I still can't believe they didn't line the holes up in the 1st place!!

:disgust:
For me, all the existing holes lined up just fine, but the splash guards require one additional hole that didn't exist for the wheel well liners - I'd guess, for additional support. The instructions call for you to cut out a piece of the plastic from the liner to expose the hole in the sheet metal. Cutting the plastic may keep you from having to remove the wheel, but I think most folks choose to drill the hole instead. I did.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I bought the straight rivet gun from Harbor Freight. To use it, I had to remove the rear wheels. Do the 90 degree type fit without removing the wheels?
Yes. You can use the right angle tool without removing the rear wheel, BUT if I'm remembering correctly, you'll still have to remove the rear wheel if you want to drill the hole for the additional rivet rather than cutting out the plastic wheel well liner. I even tried a right angle pneumatic drill, but still did not have enough room, so jacked it up and removed the wheels to complete the installation.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yes. You can use the right angle tool without removing the rear wheel, BUT if I'm remembering correctly, you'll still have to remove the rear wheel if you want to drill the hole for the additional rivet rather than cutting out the plastic wheel well liner. I even tried a right angle pneumatic drill, but still did not have enough room, so jacked it up and removed the wheels to complete the installation.
That's true. I forgot about drilling the extra hole. I did that on mine instead of cutting the wheel well liner.

·
Registered
94 Posts
could anyone post a pic on how these look on their car?? i about cried on the way home yesterday hearing all that road crap bouncing off the side of my paint on the ride home

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts