Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 scat pack triple nickel
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for another oil filter thread, but I just what to confirm which oil filter to use. I just assumed it was the white SRT filter 05038041AA, but when I started to search various sites the black 4884899AC kept coming up.

Which should I use or does it matter?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,641 Posts
Go with the SRT oil filter very well constructed.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
The 899 are the standard Mopar filters. The SRT filter was designed for the Viper engine, but it fits a where an 899 is specified.

It's a higher performing filter designed and spec'd by SRT engineering, and built by WIX in Europe.

Use either, your choice. FWIW, I've been using the SRT filter for numerous years.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
392 Posts
It really comes down to how you use your car.

For everyday driving, the 899 filter like your 392 left the factory with is perfectly fine.

For “more spirited driving,” the SRT filter is better constructed and is an upgrade to be considered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,481 Posts
For a few extra bucks, the SRT oil filter is worth it. You can often find them for sale on E-Bay for $13.

The SRT engineers worked with many of the filter suppliers to get the best features. Some fell out for various performance reasons but they ended up developing the current SRT filters with Wix, a mainstream manufacturer.

The high flow oil pumps in our large engines (Viper is the biggest) can overpower the internal relief valve. When this valve opens it allows some of the high pressure dirty oil to bypass the filter element in order to keep the filter from being damaged. The SRT filters have a higher pressure differential bypass valve to make sure all the oil delivered to your engine, at cold starts and high demand, is clean.

The housing is also slightly thicker than many of the brands out there to handle the pressure but is not the thickest. The real thick ones tested by the SRT engineers failed their development testing (fractured at the crimped flange). The media used is one of the latest synthetics that allow for very fine filtration, more debris capacity, and much lower restriction than the standard Mopar filter and just about every other filter out there.

In addition to providing maximum protection for the street, the SRT filter is ideal for track use day where it will allow your engine to sustain proper oil pressures in extreme cornering conditions.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I’ve been running the srt filter in my 6.4/7.0 and in my 5.7 since break in. I honestly can think of no reason not to. Like many have stated, it is superior to the 899 , and not much more money. In fact , I just recently found a three pack for 27$. I’d never give it another thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,641 Posts
If you look at the construction of the filters in this post (last 2 images are of a wix brand oil filter which is similar to the SRT) you will see the difference in construction. The SRT has more peats (I believe the element is fully synthetic as well) and it uses a spring (the wix brand also uses a spring) rather than a stamped piece of metal which should apply a more consistent force to the element.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
I've been buying the SRT filter at my dealer for $13.47. The Pennzoil 0-40 is $7.49 a quart.

Local parts houses are charging right at $12.50 for the WIX extended protection version of the 899.

The WIX version is close to the SRT filter, but not the same unit.

For $1.00 more, IMO, it's a no brainer to go with the SRT unit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for clarification! SRT filter it is! I really thought that was the only option so the 899 was throwing me a curveball when getting ready to do 1st oil change.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, one other thing, most websites claim this doesn’t fit my 2019 challenger for what it’s worth!

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
392 Posts
Oh, one other thing, most websites claim this doesn’t fit my 2019 challenger for what it’s worth!
Don't worry .... it fits.

I get the same warning from Amazon. The SRT filter is one of my favorite things to get for "free" by using my Prime points.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use the WIX Synthetic filter 57800XP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts