Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the install of the strut tower brace today and have a quick question.

It all went fairly simply but for one thing. The thick brass washer that was included to go between the firewall and the brace was entirely too thick to include. I tried everything I could to move things around to accommodate it. I finally just left them off and torqued everything down with the bolt going through the brace, square firewall tube, washer on the back of the square tube and then of course the nut.

Anything I should be concerned about? Not really sure why the washer would be necessary on the front other than minimizing contact between the brace and the square firewall tube?

If you guys think it's important, I could probably find a thinner washer to install.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Did the install of the strut tower brace today and have a quick question.

It all went fairly simply but for one thing. The thick brass washer that was included to go between the firewall and the brace was entirely too thick to include. I tried everything I could to move things around to accommodate it. I finally just left them off and torqued everything down with the bolt going through the brace, square firewall tube, washer on the back of the square tube and then of course the nut.

Anything I should be concerned about? Not really sure why the washer would be necessary on the front other than minimizing contact between the brace and the square firewall tube?

If you guys think it's important, I could probably find a thinner washer to install.

Thanks for any input.
Funny that was one of my first 3 mods . Had the same problem with the washers , left them out
That was 2 years ago and 19,000 miles , no problems at all .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ha! Excellent - I sat there and stared at it for a good 5 minutes after realizing there was no accommodating them before finally just saying to hell with it and tightened everything up. Good to know I'm not the only one.

I've been meaning to ask you where you got the dressier nuts for the strut bolts and if you painted the fuse box cover yourself or had it done. If you did it yourself, let me know what you used - if you had it done or got it somewhere, please let me know. I'd like to do exactly what you have done except in Mopar Blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wait what. How are you mounting it to the firewall.
It's not technically the firewall.... the square brace tube on the firewall side of the engine bay.

Pic of the two bolts in question attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Ha! Excellent - I sat there and stared at it for a good 5 minutes after realizing there was no accommodating them before finally just saying to hell with it and tightened everything up. Good to know I'm not the only one.

I've been meaning to ask you where you got the dressier nuts for the strut bolts and if you painted the fuse box cover yourself or had it done. If you did it yourself, let me know what you used - if you had it done or got it somewhere, please let me know. I'd like to do exactly what you have done except in Mopar Blue.
Got those from speedlogix a vender here . On the fuse box I went a hobby shop
Both the tinyes brush they had and very small bottle of paint . Get comfortable at a desk
or something.I put 3 coats of color and one coat of clear nail polish,, really lol
Also get the ABS cover there not that much $ ,great look I put the Mopar deal on it got on EBay
Speedlogix for the cover

Attachments

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Hey guys, did you have to drill into the firewall brace to mount the Mopar brace? Obviously not a fan of drilling into a new car...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey guys, did you have to drill into the firewall brace to mount the Mopar brace? Obviously not a fan of drilling into a new car...
Yes - its the dumbest thing ever too - when you go to install it there are literally already holes in the square tube a few inches from where they have you drill the new holes. Why Mopar didn't just put the holes in the brace to align with those is ridiculous.

I wouldn't worry too much about drilling though - it's not that big a deal and relatively easy to do since the holes are there in the brace already to align everything up. Totally worth the effort too - that and the Barton Shifter are the best things I've done. I wasn't too worried about doing the brace myself.... the hoodpins now, that made me too nervous - had Luke at Steve White put those in! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
Yes you do - on the drivers' side - feel back there to make sure there's no wire harnesses right behind where the bit might come through at.

I had installed the Mopar STB for Shakers - had to drill 1/8" pilot holes, then 1/4" and finally a 1/2" for the front holes - to allow the installation of the compression sleeve that is part of the kit.

I recommend bolting the brace down securely - then mark where the holes need to be. I used a center punch to help the drill bit to get started.
-make sure you have the drill level so the holes come out centered through the back of that factory cross-brace.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
I believe the washer is brass to keep any steel from rubbing on steel and getting a squeak. Ever have a seat track squeak, microscopic movement that drives you nuts.

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
That shits impossible with the PCV box in the way.
In that case - I'd mark the spots, unbolt the cross brace and drill the holes while on a bench and then reinstall it to finish the rest of the steps. The OCD kicks in...

That's right the one-piece Mopar STB does have those two holes more towards the center...

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I purchased a long drill bit from Lowe's so I could clear that "box" on the manifold. Only real PITA was having to buy the bit.

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
I purchased a long drill bit from Lowe's so I could clear that "box" on the manifold. Only real PITA was having to buy the bit.
If you ever need to drill holes through sill plates or framing to run wiring in your house / garage - you're all ready now...

I have a 1/2" drill bit (specialty/ hardened) in my collection now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
In that case - I'd mark the spots, unbolt the cross brace and drill the holes while on a bench and then reinstall it to finish the rest of the steps. The OCD kicks in...

That's right the one-piece Mopar STB does have those two holes more towards the center...

If you are going to unbolt and remove the brace just to drill the holes you should just get the Speedlogix strut brace that replaces it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What about braces for shaker has anyone heard of any problems?
Have them in a box waiting for warmer weather for installation

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
What about braces for shaker has anyone heard of any problems?
Have them in a box waiting for warmer weather for installation
IF its the Mopar braces for the Shaker - those mounts are off to the side from the engine, so there's clearance to drill the holes (4 of them) for the brace-to-crossmember.

Here's my that installed early part of last year:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
Yes they are Mopar just like yours.
Looks sweet, thinking about having mine powder coated to match stripe on car
Bolt the braces down to full tightness on the strut towers before marking where to drill the holes - you'll want those aligned where the braces line up to be.

You'll need three drill bit sizes: 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" to drill the cross-brace for the installation.
-the instructions detail the steps for drilling the holes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts