Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Challenger RT Classic
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the Mopar T-Handle Shifter on their automatic Challengers, has anyone regretted making the switch from the factory leather grip? I was thinking about putting one on my 2011 RT Classic, but I am just not sure. I like the looks a lot, but I am not wild about spending the price for it with it being ABS plastic. How is the quality or the plastic? Does the T-handle shift normal when using auto stick. I had read some people said it was sort of awkward when using the auto stick, because you are moving it to the side rather than forward or back. Just looking for others thoughts, before I make my decision. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,568 Posts
I installed the T-shifter on my 2009 SRT because it resembles the one that was on my 1971 'Cuda (see photos).

I really like it. It helps to customize my car and complements my Billet parts. You get used to making manual shifts with it very quickly.

Mine is made of cast metal- not plastic. I don't know if they changed the composition in later years.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
For those that have the Mopar T-Handle Shifter on their automatic Challengers, has anyone regretted making the switch from the factory leather grip? I was thinking about putting one on my 2011 RT Classic, but I am just not sure. I like the looks a lot, but I am not wild about spending the price for it with it being ABS plastic. How is the quality or the plastic? Does the T-handle shift normal when using auto stick. I had read some people said it was sort of awkward when using the auto stick, because you are moving it to the side rather than forward or back. Just looking for others thoughts, before I make my decision. Thanks
I'm not sure how it could be more awkward than moving the OEM shifter side to side. I bought mine right at a year ago form something over $100 I think. If it's plastic, it's coated well and isn't an issue. That OEM shift knob was a weak point in the interior for me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have not used the T handle Mopar shifter but it sure looks snazzy. I replaced my stock shift knob with a white cue ball. I would totally go for it. Changing your shift knob adds a bit of personality to your interior.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought mine on Ebay for 80 bucks and it is plastic. It isn't a bad quality at all. I get tons of complements on it, and i love it. What a difference in appearance.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Alot of members have it installed on their Challengers. The only negative thing that I've read about it here is that it gets really hot if you park your car outside on a hot day (Can't remember who mentioned this though). I personally love the factory leather grip on my car!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I forgot to add that it's metal as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I have one installed on my 09 for a few years and it is great. I think it is plastic because of the weight and the fact that it does not burn my hand even after setting out in the sun all day. You cannot tell it from chrome plated metal as installed. I find no problem using the auto stick with it.

My only concern is should my Hellcat deal materialize, I will not be able to use in the 2015.:cry:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have one and it is metal, I'll sell it to you $100.00 shipped. Brand new!

·
Registered
505 Posts
It is plastic, not metal. I got mine and the chrome was chipped off at the bottom of the handle. White plastic underneath. Luckily the chip was in a spot no one can see right where the post enters the handle.

That being said I like it. Lots of complements. Doesn't feel off using it for auto shift, though I use the paddle shifters much more.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Some say its metal, some say its plastic, I duuno for sure but the one I boght off Ebay sure did feel heavy if it was plastic. Regardless it looks a lot better than that funky leather grip that came stock on my RT Classic, only thing bad I can say about it is that it attracts fingerprints very easily, but thats easily solved by carrying a rag in your center console and wiping it off every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Anything is better than the factory mini van shifter knob.....

Maybe ebay is cloning them in plastic from China?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I recently added one to my car. Like others I really love the look of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have it on my 10 RTC too and I love it, like others said I get tons of compliments on it and almost always drive in auto stick, never a problem it actually gets pretty comfortable once you really get the hang of it

·
Registered
2011 Challenger RT Classic
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well thanks for all the suggestions and offers. I went ahead and installed the Mopar T handle shifter. It really does change the inside appearance of the car. I also blacked out the M and the Mopar lettering. Vehicle Center console Car Gear shift Auto part

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
505 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.