Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a TA hood today. I know it comes in a black gel coat but is it ready to install? I know I need to mount the scoop on it it. My question is DO I NEED TO PAINT IT? or is the gel coat sufficient?

I want it flat black. I do have a can of organisol but I'm not sure I want it textured as it's really hard to keep clean.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mopar Hood

Well, good deal. Not that it is impossible to add the holes. More of a pain in the arse. Anyway, I got the pdf of the instructions so no need for extra work. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahhh, i see it now. i was looking at it on my phone and it was hard to make out what the picture was showing but after looking at the scoop, i see its impossible to stick the gasket to the scoop cause the surface just isnt there.

So now, i wonder if any bonding agent should be used to make sure the scoop doesnt rip of the hood at 160 mph???

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If you install the hood scoop and gasket properly, then torque down the bolts correctly I doubt you'll have any problems with the scoop coming off at 160. Mine's been to 130 before and held on just fine, then again my scoop had holes cut underneath to route air to the engine bay so there was no pressure buildup under the scoop itself. Also my gasket was installed properly. Don't overtighten the bolts or you could crack the plastic, they should compress the gasket slightly and the scoop shouldn't wobble at all once in place. I've never had to retighten the screws since i first intalled mine.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
yes its aluminum. And yes its the same scoop.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back from page 17.

How did you make out aarcuda? have any pictures of your PCP with the TA hood? I'm now going back and forth between the shaker and TA hood on my PCP.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to bring this thread back from page 17.

How did you make out aarcuda? have any pictures of your PCP with the TA hood? I'm now going back and forth between the shaker and TA hood on my PCP.
it is (still) sitting in the original box waiting for me to get it painted. I cant decide if iwant the hood PCP and organisol on the scoop or all PCP or all organisol....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Make up your mind dude...try it purple with organisol on the hoodscoop, thats similar to what i did with mine (substitute yellow for purple) and love it, never regretted just having a black scoop on the hood. Purple may be different though, the black stands out more on the yellow background. Get compliments often just because of the scoop on the hood.

If you change your mind later, its easy to repaint the scoop purple afterwards. organisol CAN be painted over, just sand it smooth and it makes a great primer coat. (I used organisol on mine, sanded it smooth then cleared over it so it wouldn't pick up dust)

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is organisol? Just curious.
Is it just Black paint, with some texture?

I have a TO R/T with the T/A scoop in body color. Was thinking about going black on the scoop later on, but wasnt sure how that would look. If anyone has done that, please post pics.. Not trying to hijack the thread, figured this is somewhat on topic..

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Lord Warlock's scoop looks nice black but for some reason I really like mine the same color as the rest of the car. Probably doesn't help OP but it is an input :)

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
organisol is a legendary beast that is now extinct. unless you know where to look.

it is the original textured flat black used on many mopar hoods, some grills and some tail panels of the old school cudas and road runners back in the day. it was a laquer paint so the EPA banned it.

I happened to have found a gallon but it aint cheap. $500 a gallon

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You can buy organisol at year one, and there is also another vendor on the internet that sells it in spray cans for about 20.00 a can. One can was plenty to do the scoop itself, in fact i was able to do the scoop and the hood callouts on my 69 charger hood with one can. They usually send about 4 tips with each can because it tends to clog the tips quickly. I can provide the link when i get home if someone is interested.

If it was painted the same color as the rest of the hood, i'd want to mold it in around the base so there was no bolt on look. But thats just me. I think it looks good either way, having it black just focuses attention to the scoop on the hood and makes it stand out more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts