Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Mopars always the bad guy,lol.Crappy movie good chase

3K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  bwbike 
#1 · (Edited)
Just the chase...as its been a while.:smokin:
No one should be forced to sit thru this film other than the chase scene.
Never noticed the cab driver before at the beginning thats Robert Duvall doing a cameo..

I rewatch films hundreds of times if I like em this wasnt one of them,lol.

Way to drive that pony turtle neck!!

#4 · (Edited)
LOL you notice the stang has no posi and the wheel hop hehe. Now if the stang was a 67 the biggest motor was the 390 but if it was a 68 the biggest was a 428 CJ but they all came with posi and we no the charger was a 440. Oh well thats hollywood and i still think its the best overall chase ever.

#7 ·
LOL you notice the stang has no posi and the wheel hop hehe.
That particular scene was a screw-up on McQueen's part. He overshot the intersection. The director want4d to re-shoot, but McQ insisted that things like that happen in real life, and insisted that the scene be left in. Also, there is a scene where the Charger runs into the camera car during the chase. And if you look closely, the Charger misses the gas station, it can be seen coming out the other side as it goes behind the gas station instead of into it. They detonated the gas station anyway and so they had no choice but to leave the scene as is.

#6 ·
I bet i watched that chase scene 20 times before I watched the entire movie. But just like VP, you have to take the movie in the context of the year in which it was made. I get a big kick out of the "making of" feature, with the announcer's very somber, earnest tone talking about how this "new breed" of actors (McQ, Vaughn) are "searching for the truth" in making movies. In pursuit of that goal, McQ insisted they use a real operating room and real doctors for the hospital scenes. If you haven't watched that feature, it's a hoot.

#9 ·
I think '66 was the first year that seat belts came standard, so in '68 they were still something of a novelty item, and evidently worth their own screen shot.

#11 ·
The stunt coordinater for Bullit also did Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. Allegedly he insisted on using Chargers for that movie instead of Mustangs because the Chargers held up better than the Mustangs during the stunts in Bullit. And yeah, except for that chase the that movie was a total yawn.

#27 ·
Here's one:

#15 ·
Thats the look I go for when I go cruising in my R/T, Drew Carey glasses and "driving" gloves-and Don Rickles there in the passenger seat, rolls the window down to fire a shotgun through it-classic. Cool cars, always love what Hollywood does with some of the classic muscle chases.

#17 ·
LOL now thats some funny sheet right there...
I usually go for the anything Rickles...Met him years ago hes like a walking time time capsule.
Freakin Hockey Puck!

I admit theres a set of black driving gloves in my glove box..Working on those glasses :thumbsup:
Thats the way you strapped in back in the old days big coat,hat,gloves,Don Rickles as your Co pilot.LOL....
There were usually two options back then for a co pilot Don Rickles or the "Wheres the beef" lady Clara Peller.
Im sure their wearing black socks with ankle garters as that would sort of complete the look ..Back then you never left home without a shoehorn and a hankey,lol...
Oh and High Karate cologene,just reaking of that sweet devils nectar in that Charger.

Thats how we rolled back in the day..Pretty scarey stuff,lol.
Turtle neck showed them..Damn whipper snapper in that green pony car !!

#20 ·
Drop a Ford 390 in it :)

I think the Mustang was tuned a bit since the 390 was not that great of a performance engine. Both cars had their suspensions beefed up. Both Chargers were destroyed in filming, one Mustang survived and is the Holy Grail of Mustang collectors.

#24 ·
I knew the late, great Max Balchowsky, who prepped the cars for Bullit AND Vanishing Point. He was one of those legendary builders who created low-budget Specials from scavenged junkyard parts that would go out and kick-azz on Ferraris. Gurney and Shelby both drove for him. He wore his work overalls everywhere he went. I could sit down and listen to his stories for hours. I went to a surprise birthday party for him and BOTH Dan Gurney and Carroll Shelby were there. Talk about being star struck!

#25 ·
Check out "Hollywood's Hottest Car Chases" on SPEED Channel
tomorrow night (Thanksgiving).

There's sure to a discussion on this Bullit's chase scene.

#29 ·
I loved that scene in Bullitt. It still ranks as one of the best of all time even if they did pass the same car more than once.

As a teenager, I saw D.M.C.L. in the theater. Lots of good car chasing in that movie too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.