Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know, keeping a black car clean and looking sharp isn't easy and lately I've noticed that my 2010 Brilliant Black SRT8 just isn't that brilliant. I find that the reflective properties of the stock paint job and the clear coat are not very good.
Has anyone shot their car with additional coats of clear coat to give it a better shine? I know that sounds radical but seems like a good idea to me. I have tried all types of wax and products but something just seems to be missing. Thoughts? Would that reduce the effect of the flake in the paint?

Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
As we all know, keeping a black car clean and looking sharp isn't easy and lately I've noticed that my 2010 Brilliant Black SRT8 just isn't that brilliant. I find that the reflective properties of the stock paint job and the clear coat are not very good.
Has anyone shot their car with additional coats of clear coat to give it a better shine? I know that sounds radical but seems like a good idea to me. I have tried all types of wax and products but something just seems to be missing. Thoughts? Would that reduce the effect of the flake in the paint?

Thanks!
I found that on my 09 Hemi orange paint, that there is a decent amount of clear coat. I sanded down the clear coat to take away the orange peal and give it more of an old school look paint job. The difference is night and day. I have had a few people ask me what I did with the paint. I do keep the car garaged always and use Adam's car waxes on it.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I have a 10 R/T in Titanium and it does appear to be a little dull. I have used really good wax and it still not that reflective.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I found that on my 09 Hemi orange paint, that there is a decent amount of clear coat. I sanded down the clear coat to take away the orange peal and give it more of an old school look paint job. The difference is night and day. I have had a few people ask me what I did with the paint. I do keep the car garaged always and use Adam's car waxes on it.
What grit sandpaper did you use and what rubbing and polishing compounds and pads did you use? Did you do the entire car or just from the body side molding height up?

So there was plenty of clear coat to sand all the orange-peel out of the car and no risk of burning through to the color coat?

Thanks, Rob

·
Banned
675 Posts
I used a clay bar, meguiers spray and shine, then meguiers wax with micro fiber towells and my black challenger looks like glass!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
My 08 still shines like crazy every time I wash it ( and way more when I wax it) but I've learned to touch up the previous FX wax with a detailer, brings those "crystals" out in the paint and looks fantastic, shame I have to park in a dusty parking area...

·
Registered
348 Posts
What grit sandpaper did you use and what rubbing and polishing compounds and pads did you use? Did you do the entire car or just from the body side molding height up?

So there was plenty of clear coat to sand all the orange-peel out of the car and no risk of burning through to the color coat?

Thanks, Rob
We did 2000 then 3000. We used a machine to sand and then polish. I use only Adam's polishes, and waxes. The difference is night and day. Have you ever clayed your car? Run you hand over the paint and even the glass and see if it feels smooth with out and grit? To clay your car would take about 1/2 hour...
Good luck:indifferent:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Another vote here for Zaino. I too found my Challenger didn't have the same glare/shine as the 11 year old firebird I had previously. But that's slowly improving with the several coats of Zaino I have on it now.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
….IMO/IME, prep (i.e. pre-cleaning, claying, polishing/correction, etc.) will have the most dramatic impact on the end result. Generally speaking, glazes, sealants and waxes (last step products – LSP’s) will simply enhance what you have. Some help conceal, darken, help to boost the finish and/or impart their own characteristics (shine, gloss, etc.) in their own way, but they do have their limitations. A good LSP applied to a properly polished surface on the other hand can make a big difference.

This is a bad shot but hopefully it provides a little glimpse of the flake in my BB paint sitting in the Sun and the general condition of the finish. I didn’t spend as much time polishing as I would have liked during my first correction since I bought the car and will make a greater effort refining/finishing during my next session later this year. ….the photo was taken about 3-4 months after polishing/waxing:

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I had to polish and wax my Mopar 10 after I got it from the dealer because the "detail" guys fubared the clear. They scratched the living hell out of it with a claybar that was dirty. I used the Meguiers SwirlX with a 6 inch orbital buffer then when all the scratches were gone I went over it with the new Meguiers wax. There are still a couple little spots im going to go back over with the fine polish but 95% of the screwup they did is gone. By the way, this is the second Challenger they did this to. First was a Detonator Yellow SRT8 Challenger!!!! Yeah, they are still not FIRED but should be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts