Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not being happy with the plastic intake on the newer Challengers, I decided to have a go at replacing it. I am planning on a Pro-charger in the future. Further I have a new TB for it as well So I took the time and went ahead and port matched the intake to the new TB, along with cleaning up the inside of the 6.1 manifold. Having never been satisfied with the look of hose finishers I removed all fittings, replaced them with AN, and tapped new holes accordingly. I wanted a more colorful engine than I have yet seen, without the use of cosmetic covers. I found a couple of places in California and England that supplied custom fittings, Ti bolts and hose clamps. The mopar intake wouldn't due either and was subsequently replaced with a carbon piece. My friends helped me out with some other small name plates out of Ti, and a few other parts. At this point I am still not fully set on the design and I am kicking around changing the washers to a purple to match the fittings and going back on the bolts and heating them to a blue instead of the violet. Aside from that I am in the process of fabbing new covers as well for the valves.

Making custom hoses

port matching the manifold to the TB

smoothed the exterior of the manifold as well as cleaned the mold lines

Acid dipped the fuel rails to remove the black anodizing

Got the parts back from powder, used a purple/blue color shift and black wrinkle

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cleaned up the excess powder and started to mount the fittings

out with the old

New Mopar seals

test fitting and mocking up fittings

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Was able to get it out in the sun today

I am currently working on the valve covers, and am trying to settle on a scheme for them. I am thinking a purple to blue to black ombre, making them out of an aluminum alloy with multiple holes, around 200 or so each, for venting but more to follow. I am also still debating the washer and bolt colors. I have a new vent tank as well, however; until I mount the supercharger, it is not only unwarranted but unable to fit in the current available space. So the projects will continue for the foreseeable future.

·
Super Moderator
12,988 Posts
Looks great :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got around to making the covers. They were fabbed using 6061 T4 aluminum using mainly my drill press and bench grinder. The paint ended up being a 6 part process, starting with an etching primer, a silver base, clear fuchsia, clear blue, clear pearl and a two part clear. The name plates are made with titanium that I heat treated, backed with Carbon, with all the hardware being anodized purple titanium.

I started as I always do by making a cardboard template.

then moved to the aluminum

·
Super Moderator
12,988 Posts
Wow! Wish you were my neighbor ;) :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
That looks fantastic!

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Raven

To the OP. Why "Raven"? Anything to do with ECM?

I am an "old crow" myself.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
OK, ECM is electronic countermeasures. I saw the C-130 in your avatar. There are some special OPS C-130's with special ECM. Old crows are ECM fraternity.

The crow or Raven with the lightning bolt was always on the squadron patch.

Cool work done on your challenger by the way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, ECM is electronic countermeasures. I saw the C-130 in your avatar. There are some special OPS C-130's with special ECM. Old crows are ECM fraternity.

The crow or Raven with the lightning bolt was always on the squadron patch.

Cool work done on your challenger by the way.
Never flew ECs just Spectre until I retired them in 14, wasn't thinking military.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Awesome job, love the fab work on valve covers! What part of Florida you in?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts