Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 rt plus, 5.7, I would like to get some upgrades to get more hp, without having to blow alot of money changing things. Any suggestions that won't blow my engine.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,842 Posts
You have to pay for power with these engines....roughly $50-$90 per HP. On the 5.7 best bang for you buck is nitro, followed by supercharger and then cam. In the end, you need to figure out your goal. Header, cam, intake will get you almost 100HP but daily drivability may suffer depending on how radical the cam is. Supercharger can net you +140 HP gain but if the tune is not right or you get a bad batch of gas kiss your pistons goodbye. I when the route of supercharger, heads and a hell cat cam and I am very happy with the bump in performance. I don't have any hard HP number but I am pretty confident that I am putting out more power than the 6.4 but handling and stopping power is lacking. With the money I invested I could have easily bought a scat pack but for me I always wanted to run a PD blower and if I did that to a scat I might as well have bought a hell cat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree, I would just buy a hellcat. Much more cost effective in the end.

A used supercharger with a good time and low boost is the best power for dollar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you spend a little, you’ll get little gain.

If you spend a lot, your pushing the car harder than it was designed for and you’ll breat shit and it will cost you more than a hell cat real quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,842 Posts
.....will cost you more than a hell cat real quick
Especially if you have a shop do all the work. I recently did a cam install for well under $1000k but I did all the work myself. There was someone on the forum that stated they paid $8K for an aftermarket cam install which I assumed included headers and heads. I have seen quite a few low mile 6.4 motors for sale around the $5-$6K range and swapping in one of those might be a viable mod that rivals a supercharger (+$7K).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
OP are you chasing hp #’s? 1/4 times? Or just want that extra kick in the pants?

HP isnt ALWAYS the answer, but it can solve many problems

·
Registered
543 Posts
Trade in the 5.7 for something faster and keep your warranty. The 6.4 is the answer.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts