Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,849 Posts
Even with a high octane (can run more timing) dyno tune you would be hard pressed to see a +20HP gain on a stock motor. The cam on the 5.7 tanks around 5500rpm, coupled with the log type exhaust manifolds it's hard to get more power without upgrading those components.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So buying a chip that claims to boost the HP by 60 and adjusts your throttle body for a better take off is false

·
Registered
482 Posts
So buying a chip that claims to boost the HP by 60 and adjusts your throttle body for a better take off is false
Yes that is correct . Chips..also known as a PROM ( program read only memory ) has not been used since the mid 90's.
all engine management systems ( PCM/ECM) used since are programable but need the correct software and knowledge to change engine computer parameters and even then there are no 60 hp gains.

·
Premium Member
5,087 Posts
So how are they still selling them
My guess is that they make sure to word their performance increase claims very carefully, like internet service providers, so that there is no concrete promise that they can be held to.

Something like, “Increases of 60HP** and better throttle response!

Then in tiny letters at the bottom,
HP increase is different for every automobile. Numbers cited in ad represent the maximum added HP the product can deliver in ideal circumstances and is not a guarantee or a promise.

And the better throttle response can be either a false claim too that can’t be proven or disproven (since its pretty subjective how well the throttle responds; no quantification given or assumed), or it could do like the Throttle Boost functionality in DiabloSport tuners (or like the Peddle Commander device does) and actually modify the fly-by-wire signal from accelerator position sensor to make the throttle body open quicker with less effort.

That’s a neat trick, but not any actual performance added or anything.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't need to Google it. Just because you see it advertised doesn't mean they actually sell any. Chips were for cars that came with OBD1 computers, pre 1996.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.......

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,083 Posts
Just googled it, it made by performance, and they sell them for my car,
Go ahead and get one, then report back here to give us all a performance report...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just googled it, it made by performance, and they sell them for my car,
You seem dead set on believing what a company on the internet is trying to sell you rather than what this forum is telling you..no disrespect intended but your automotive knowledge is clearly limited at best if you don't understand what's going on here. people on this forum are trying to help you.. you really need to listen to the advice being given here.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,361 Posts
Do us a favor, post a listing for us so we can look. As mentioned, the PCM on our cars can be unlocked and tuned, but it's not a "chip" you buy

A Guy

·
Registered
545 Posts
Go ahead and get one, then report back here to give us all a performance report...
We'll be waiting on the edge of our seats.😄
You seem dead set on believing what a company on the internet is trying to sell you rather than what this forum is telling you..no disrespect intended but your automotive knowledge is clearly limited at best if you don't understand what's going on here. people on this forum are trying to help you.. you really need to listen to the advice being given here.
You said it best, his knowledge is clearly limited and then when he doesn't get the answers he's looking for he becomes argumentative. Reminds me of my teenage daughter.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts