Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In New Jersey, I am seeing a lot more newer styled 2015-2018 Challengers on the road, especially SXT models, than those from 2008-2014. Are you guys noticing the same thing?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
In New Jersey, I am seeing a lot more newer styled 2015-2018 Challengers on the road, especially SXT models, than those from 2008-2014. Are you guys noticing the same thing?

Yes - the '15+ refresh (and probably the newer tech features) seems to have spiked up the sales.

In my local club, the newer models outnumber the older by 3:1 or 4:1

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Same here in western PA. And I'm not just seeing them in the suburban areas. Saw a nice black Shaker way up the Allegheny River valley, 'bout 70 miles upstream from Pittsburgh yesterday. Hicks in the sticks like me are getting on board.

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes - the '15+ refresh (and probably the newer tech features) seems to have spiked up the sales.

In my local club, the newer models outnumber the older by 3:1 or 4:1

It must be the tech features and, possibly, Dodge's aggressive advertising. In 1971, the refresh was a failure (see photo below). That's why the designers of the 2008 Challenger, chose the iconic 1970 model as their inspiration. (Note- In 1970, 76,935 Challengers were made while in 1971, production drastically dropped to 26,299).

Here's one of the designer interviews where they discuss how the 1970 model influenced their design (see the 35 second mark).

1971 Challenger

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
Same here in Oklahoma. Use to be rare to see any Challengers now you see alot of them.

Mopar or No Car

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Same here in Oklahoma. Use to be rare to see any Challengers now you see alot of them.

Mopar or No Car
Some think it's all about the "refresh" of the '15 Challenger.........but I'm here to suggest it's actually the Camaro and Mustang Refresh that has Dodge selling more Challengers.

The Camaro was NEVER my Choice since '09......it's been terrible since it's reintroduction and with each "refresh" it gets further away from what I think a Camaro should look like. I did buy a '14 Mustang though. Rushed out to get it too in late '13. I'd seen the '15 that was coming and wasn't impressed at all. The original pony car is now much like the Camaro......not as bad but still headed in that same "ugly" direction.

Go on the Mustang forums and you find a lot of, "what were they thinking?"

What started as a 3 car choice became a 2 car choice and is now down to just one for me.

The new Challenger since '15 isn't THAT LARGE a departure from the year before.....not enough to explain what has happened to the positive direction for sales vs the competition. I think the big uptick is all about the competition headed in a different direction.

One other possibility is the addition of the Hell Cat in '15 and more recently the Demon. If you buy into the idea of the entire line helped by an image created by a car that doesn't represent a whole lot of the total production......then this might explain it too. ( probably does work......Chevrolet kept building Corvettes even in the leaner years because the car had always done a great job of burying Chevy's "boring" value image just being there in the show rooms and on dealer lots)

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,936 Posts
When I first arrived in Little Rock Arkansas 2.5 years ago, I was amazed how many Challengers existed! I would daily see 4 or 5 different ones, most of them of course were 08-14 models. Today I still see as many Challengers a day but 90% of them are 2015 or newer.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I'm in the middle of SC and I don't remember the last time I saw the "older" style. I mentioned to my wife a couple fo days ago that it looks like they all just disappeared.
I see many more Challengers now than I have the previous years, back to early '13 when I bought my first R/T.

However, that's still not a lot. I like it that way.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
I live in a rural area of NW Missouri. Locally, there were a handful of '08-'14's, and I would see several on the Interstate passing through the area.

Now there are more '15+ locally, and a few more are seen passing through. Does seem like less of the pre '15's running around now.

IMO, FCA took a great ride, and refined it in several ways. While I liked the old interior, the upgraded one is nicer in many ways, and the dash features/gaging is nice. Adjustable electric steering, dual zone climate controls, along with improved suspension, just added good things to an already cool car. Add the A8, and that just works well behind every engine option.

I can see why there's more on the road. The '15+ cars just seem like a better value, and I can see why more folks are buying them in all trim levels.

Again, I don't see a ton of them, but more than in the past.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I live in a rural area of NW Missouri. Locally, there were a handful of '08-'14's, and I would see several on the Interstate passing through the area.

Now there are more '15+ locally, and a few more are seen passing through. Does seem like less of the pre '15's running around now.

IMO, FCA took a great ride, and refined it in several ways. While I liked the old interior, the upgraded one is nicer in many ways, and the dash features/gaging is nice. Adjustable electric steering, dual zone climate controls, along with improved suspension, just added good things to an already cool car.

I can see why there's more on the road. The '15+ cars just seem like a better value, and I can see why more folks are buying them in all trim levels.

Again, I don't see a ton of them, but more than in the past.
The car does compare better on price today than it did in the past.

I remember looking at the pre-scat pack cars vs 5.0 Mustangs.....you couldn't buy the similar priced RT and expect the same level of "GO"......... and while the bigger motor Challengers could run with the 5.0 it was a lot more expensive than the Mustang. Back then the Challenger was the hard to make choice for the new car buyer who wasn't just WEDDED to the notion of "mopar or no car".

Today the 392 Option is available in the RT and it's more competitively priced vs the Alternative Choices from GM and Ford. You no longer have to get past a big price disadvantage to choose the Challenger. That has to help sell more Challengers now vs. then.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
The car does compare better on price today than it did in the past.

I remember looking at the pre-scat pack cars vs 5.0 Mustangs.....you couldn't buy the similar priced RT and expect the same level of "GO"......... and while the bigger motor Challengers could run with the 5.0 it was a lot more expensive than the Mustang. Back then the Challenger was the hard to make choice for the new car buyer who wasn't just WEDDED to the notion of "mopar or no car".

Today the 392 Option is available in the RT and it's more competitively priced vs the Alternative Choices from GM and Ford. You no longer have to get past a big price disadvantage to choose the Challenger. That has to help sell more Challengers now vs. then.

Have to agree. There's more car for the money than in the past. Just comparing what you get now vs what you got in a '10 Challenger, and there's a heck of a difference.

The Challengers just "drive out" better now than they used to.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm seeing about the same in my area. But no 392's or T/A's . I've yet to see a T/A on the road, I can't belive it. I also have a home in NC and when the wife and I travel back and forth we try and count how many Challenger's vs Camaro and stangs we see(passes the time). It's usally about the same number for each with maybe the Camaro a slight edge.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Went out with my family this weekend.

Saw a go mango shaker, a yellow T/A, and a redline red SP, all in the same day and within 15 miles of each other.

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I first arrived in Little Rock Arkansas 2.5 years ago, I was amazed how many Challengers existed! I would daily see 4 or 5 different ones, most of them of course were 08-14 models. Today I still see as many Challengers a day but 90% of them are 2015 or newer.

Do you think owners of some of the earlier models have stashed them away, or are they off the road because of high mileage?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Do you think owners of some of the earlier models have stashed them away, or are they off the road because of high mileage?
They're still out there. If you look at sales, they really picked up in 2015.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Some of the posts touch on some other possible reasons.

With the quantity of them on the road 248k of the "LC" series for '08-'14 were built and people see them on the road, which is another form of exposure for the public's awareness of the model.

And as Camaro and Mustang changed, buyers might have shifted over to looking at Challengers.

Compared to some of us from the early days - Challengers were few and far between and you only saw one every few weeks [I had my first one in Nov 2008]

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Here in Raleigh, NC there definitely more Challengers on the road then in the past. I see a few more ScatPack and a handfull of Hellcats.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Just looking at the sale figures, there is a jump in 2015 for the refresh, but '16 and '17 sales have topped that. I'm glad to see it, to be honest. :grin2:

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,936 Posts
No idea, but I did see a white 2011 R/T today, so weird, just talked about not seeing any and there it was at the light.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Have to say close to half are the 2015+. More Challengers in general. Mine included.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts