Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago I posted a current list of available colors for the 2011 Challenger:

Challenger and Challenger R/T:
Bright White
Toxic Orange
Tungsten Metallic

Challenger SRT:
Toxic Orange

As everyone is aware, the situation in Japan has resulted in most of the color palette being placed on hold, leaving the remaining choices very slim...

If things couldn't get any worse, the latest news is that the above colors will now be restricted, with the exception of Bright White. The same factory in Japan that supplies the paint pigment also supplies the custom nozzles used by the robotics in the plants. The nozzles, costing around $11,500 each, need to be replaced on a monthly basis as they are only spec'd to last for a duty cycle of 9,000-14,000 vehicles.

*** Chrysler has just issued an updated exterior paint availability list. Below is the info on the 2011 Challenger: ***

Date- effective immediately- all Chrysler dealers-

Revised exterior color availabilty (through end of model year):

2011MY Dodge Challenger (LCDH22, LCDP22, LCDX22)

Bright White
Black Clear Coat
Primer*

*dealers will be credited a $1,430 per vehicle paint reimbursement allowance from invoice for all LC models. Paint facilities in local dealer area require pre-approval and must meet Chrysler standards (P-R2340-2321-44).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can order a Bright White SRT-8? or I could just go with Primer and have it painted whatever color I want! That's not bad at all!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah but that's primer everywhere. To do it right you'd have to strip the car inside and out. Although might be the only way anybody might see true Sublime Challenger.

·
Registered
466 Posts
There were hardly any colors offered anyway (a grand total of 9) so no big change. This just in: you STILL can't order a blue Challenger. Or plain red. Or Hemi Orange. Things just went from the sublime (can't order that either) to the ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
why cant they just buy paint and spray heads from someone else? have they thought of that solution yet?

they should have a backup plan for every supplier

in my business suppliers go under all the time....i just move on to the next supplier

where does ford and chevy get their paint and heads from? buy from them

if there isnt anyone else in the world to buy from then go to a chemical company and ASK them to make your paint for you...there's a need..someone will fill that need....

i find it insane that you'd ship a primer challenger and let the dealer paint it...completely insane...i dont think you'd come close to the same quality for that price...i would expect that price to be 3x what your offering......

looks like the 2011 model year is over for Dodge

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Time for American Companies to smarten up and buy "American Products".
Do Americans actually make any products, that could be bought, anymore?

·
Banned
863 Posts
I think many pigments always came from overseas. They do not originate from labs, nature I think, from particlular places all over the world.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I ordered a bright white rt last week and the dealer had no allocation, does this mean my car might get bumped up a little?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
BUT

How does this affect the GWE cars!?!?! Are they still going to get built and painted????

Please let us know how the GWE cars are impacted by these decisions, RS!

Thank you for any additional information you can provide.

JFF:D

·
Registered
661 Posts
If this is not an April Fools prank it should be! There is no way you can paint a new car for $1,430 and do a decent job. The engine compartment, trunk area and all door jams would need painting. To do a good job the engine would have to be out of the car. Doors should be removed to properly paint door jams. All related interior trim would need to be removed prior to painting. This is a big job for $1,430 :scratchhead:.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
This situation really sucks for those waiting on their Challengers to be built. You can have any color you want just so long as it is black or white.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I think RS is punkin' us. Today is April 1st after all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts