Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 RT plus 5.7 stock. How can I get more hp without spending a lot of money. Just need more speed.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Just need more speed.
More speed? I've had my '13 R/T to 132 mph and there was more to go. How fast are you wanting to go? Deprogram the 142 mph limiter and you will have more speed. Be sure to put on 186 mph rated tires because, if I'm correct, you likely have 150 mph rated tires (if you still have the original tires).

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
491 Posts
If it was just that simple. You will need to spend $$$ for more speed. Look into a tune.

Reactions: theblaisez24

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
234 Posts
It depends on what you consider "not a lot of money". Most of the N/A HEMI family engines are not cheap to mod. You can throw on a CAI and headers, but your not gonna get much out of them without a tune. Your looking at $1500-2000 or more for all that. Those 3 mods would give you noticeable added power but not dramatic. If you want to keep up with the 6.4l crowd you need a cam upgrade. Now your talking $4K-$5k, possibly more. But you would be running mid 4 second 0-60 if done right.

Another option, consider new wheels with wider rear tires. One thing all muscle cars struggle with on the street is off the line traction. I went from stock 245 to 275 on the same rim. It helped but I decided to get wider wheels and now I have 315s on the back. On the stock rim with the 245 or 275 tires I had to feather the throttle and was slow off the line, couldn't go WOT until about 25-30mph. Now, with the 315s my car jumps off the line. I still have to feather the throttle but I can be much more aggressive and WOT happens around 15-20mph. I have hit 4.2 second 0-60, while before the best I could do on the street was 4.6 seconds amd most times I was in the 4.8-5 second times. Much more consistent with the 315 rear tires. The car feels so much more planted at launch.

It really depends on what your looking to do. You want to get off the line faster or have more power while your rolling. You can do both but with these cars I dont think anything worth doing is inexpensive. At least I haven't seen anything that are cheap but serious mods... Unless you have a manual car. If you do the skip shift eliminator should be your first purchase.

Disclaimer: above are my opinions. Agree or disagree as you wish.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Gear change will make it feel like more power off the line.
Not a lot you can do to make power and not spend a lot of money.
Nitrous is a good bang for your buck. $2500 plus a tune and you’d be set to spray anything up to a 150 shot.
Any actual motor work like a cam/head swap you are looking at that figure or more depending and nowhere near the same power output.

Or you could waste money on stuff like an exhaust, cold air intake, throttle body etc. and make 5hp more than stock.

My 2¢, invest a little more up front to get the results you want before you spend in small amounts and are disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
234 Posts
Gear change will make it feel like more power off the line.
Not a lot you can do to make power and not spend a lot of money.
Nitrous is a good bang for your buck. $2500 plus a tune and you’d be set to spray anything up to a 150 shot.
Any actual motor work like a cam/head swap you are looking at that figure or more depending and nowhere near the same power output.

Or you could waste money on stuff like an exhaust, cold air intake, throttle body etc. and make 5hp more than stock.

My 2¢, invest a little more up front to get the results you want before you spend in small amounts and are disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point about the gear swap. 3.9 rear diff will for sure help get power to the pavement for around $750 DIY. (Not sure how much it would cost for a shop to do the work)

Thank you or just trade this in for the 6.4 mod
You could definitely do that. But the added cost you would spend stepping up a trim you could probably add a super charger to your 5.7l and be faster than the 6.4l cars.

Sounds like you have some thinking to do. I'm guessing your decisions will be monetarily bases as mine was, otherwise I would have gotten a Hellcat.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,339 Posts
If you upgrade to a 6.4 you not only get more power but better brakes, suspension, wider wheels/tires and performance pages. Adding a supercharger will run you +$7000 if you do the work yourself...more if you have a shop do it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh ya, there's that stuff also.

Unless your racing, it doesn't get utilized to its full potential. But it's nice to know it's there.

Don't let me talk you out of a SP. I love mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah if I add the supercharger I have to upgrade everything else, it would just be easier to get a 6.4

·
Registered
204 Posts
While on the subject...im looking at 6.4 s....getting a feel for the pricees of them with 55 or 60 thousand on the clock... My question is this??? It would be used as a daily driver i do mostly highway miles and maybe a trip or two a mth around in the city..could it or would it male sense to have the 6.4 if i dont use it on the strip or race daily on the streets....im one of the guys that wants to have the hp there without always using it...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
While on the subject...im looking at 6.4 s....getting a feel for the pricees of them with 55 or 60 thousand on the clock... My question is this??? It would be used as a daily driver i do mostly highway miles and maybe a trip or two a mth around in the city..could it or would it male sense to have the 6.4 if i dont use it on the strip or race daily on the streets....im one of the guys that wants to have the hp there without always using it...
Others as well as myself use our 6.4s as daily drivers and don't take them to the track. Now, if it's worth it, only you can tell.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
177 Posts
The cheapest way to get the car to feel faster is drive something really slow for a few days or a week or so. Then get back in the challenger. It'll feel way faster.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Think you answered your own question.

Obviously from the type of usage you give the car any car would do. My VW Golf TDi with a 1.9l diesel engine and 90hp served well as a daily driver for my work commute and some around town errand running. And even on the open highway on long (4K miles or more) road trips was a very nice touring car. Comfortable, with plenty of power/torque to go up the mountains out west with ease. Even at 11K feet above sea level the engine pulled like a champ. And over 150K miles delivered 40mpg.

But with the VW I owned a more powerful car. Even with my Hellcat my 2nd car was a MINI JCW, about the same size and weight as my VW but with 228hp.

I have my Hellcat because while I can't always (make that never so far) use all its HP I like that it is there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
TRading is for sure the way to go financially . I came very close to buying a 392 last week but could let my baby go. Just love it too much. But like chally Tatum said . Supercharger is at least 65 to 8500 just for the kit depending on what u get. Plus you decrease the value and life of your engine and when you upgrade you get the power brakes suspension . Possibly lower miles and better interior. But if your like me then mod your car. I’m going with a cam from jay Greene. Google rt life if you haven’t . He had a cammed 5.7 running with 392s. I believe I’m getting the same cam just a thumper version

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,553 Posts
You have a R/T? I don't think Diablosport has a canned 87 tune, they only list 91 and 93
  • 93 Octane Performance Tune: 15HP 20TQ
  • 91 Octane Performance Tune: 13HP 15TQ
But I'd imagine 8HP or less

A Guy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts