Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under the hood my 2010 R/T looked stock. Which meant I directly started consider switching to a CAI... :wink3: I opened the air filter box just to check the condition of the filter and noticed two things;

First - it wasn´t a stock air filter. A previous owner had change it to a K&N washable and reusable air filter.

Second - The construction of the air filter box (which I assume still is stock). In the bottom of the box there is a hole that takes the inlet air from a space between the lower grill and the inner fender. In my opinion that´s probably the place to get the coldest inlet air for the engine.

So the question is, does changing to a typical CAI really gives me COLDER air? When I look at the construction of some CAI kit it´s obvious that the air filter box is not totally sealed and separated from the (warm) upper engine compartment and could therefore actually make WARMER inlet air.

My judgement now is changing to a CAI will not give me benefits that is worth the effort and cost if the main purpose is just to get colder air.

Or does the construction of a typical sport round filter CAI increase the air flow so much that it´s still worth it even if there aren´t any actual decreasing of the temperature?

Please correct me if I´m getting this wrong... :laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,977 Posts
No you're right. For a stock engine, the stock system flows enough, and gets the coldest air. Whether the K&N flows better is up in the air, whether the engine needs additional flow is the question. They do make "true" cold air CAI

http://*************************/product-p/lmi-true-v2.htm

A Guy

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Under the hood my 2010 R/T looked stock. Which meant I directly started consider switching to a CAI... :wink3: I opened the air filter box just to check the condition of the filter and noticed two things;

First - it wasn´t a stock air filter. A previous owner had change it to a K&N washable and reusable air filter.

Second - The construction of the air filter box (which I assume still is stock). In the bottom of the box there is a hole that takes the inlet air from a space between the lower grill and the inner fender. In my opinion that´s probably the place to get the coldest inlet air for the engine.

So the question is, does changing to a typical CAI really gives me COLDER air? When I look at the construction of some CAI kit it´s obvious that the air filter box is not totally sealed and separated from the (warm) upper engine compartment and could therefore actually make WARMER inlet air.

My judgement now is changing to a CAI will not give me benefits that is worth the effort and cost if the main purpose is just to get colder air.

Or does the construction of a typical sport round filter CAI increase the air flow so much that it´s still worth it even if there aren´t any actual decreasing of the temperature?

Please correct me if I´m getting this wrong... :laugh2:
Hard to imagine an auto company, Dodge in this case, that fits 8-speed automatics, implements partial engine (cylinder deactivation) shutdown, engine stop/start, and so on, would overlook the benefits of ensuring adequate air flow and avoiding hot air in its engine air box design.

It was a real eye opener when I changed an overdue to be replaced air filter on another one of my cars. The old filter was just filthy and to the point that it was restricting air flow. Just the filter change and the engine perked up. Like I said a real eye opener. For an auto company addressing engine air box design is really some of the lowest hanging fruit on the fuel mileage/lower emissions tree.

My point is that the stock air filtration system is both adequate in terms of air flow, air filtration, and air flow quality -- laminar air flow from the air box to the MAF is important to ensure the MAF works properly -- and air temperature.

The only time a change to this would be called for is if the engine was modified to flow more air. Then an air box/filtration system that flows more air, but still meets all the other "requirements", could be called for.

Data log intake air temperature and compare to ambient. I think you'll see that once under way and the intake system loses any heat it picked up from heat soaking, either from the engine being off while hot or from slow speed stop and go driving and then the intake air temperature gets pretty darn close to ambient. It may not probably won't get to ambient because the air from the radiator tends to warm the intake some, while of course helping to remove considerable heat from the hotter parts of the engine/exhaust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks "A Guy" and "Rockster" for your replies and overall confirmation of my thoughts. I also checked out some other articles and clips that tells about the same story. Maybe CAI is a deceptive name since it in most cases does not provide any colder air than the stock air box and therefore no significant increase of power from that either. Perhaps HFI - High Flow Intake - would be a better name.

Or maybe CLI - Cool Looking Intake - or CSI - Cool Sounding Intake - is even better cause that´s probably what you actually get... :laugh2:

No, I think I´ll save some bucks and skip the after market CAI for the moment. Am more eager to get headers and a tuner now. As I understand that is a more efficient way of of adding some power to the 5,7 L Hemi. :redblob:

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I actually have my engine modified running quite a bit more HP over stock and I still use the stock air intake. The only thing I changed was the air filter to ensure I had the correct CFM through filter to match the HP and RPM range I'm running. The stock design is actually hard to beat...Definitely not enough of an improvement to drop $300 or more.

·
Registered
694 Posts
one thing that you can do if you have a cai like the shakers come is to build up the rubber surface around the cai so that it real closes off the engine compartment heated air as much as possible. you can use pipe insulation but this product not made for cars but baby cribs works real well. not bad looking like pipe insulation & does the job.
https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Kids-Cushion-Protects-Proofing/dp/B0156PDFQO/ref=sr_1_27_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523300473&sr=8-27&keywords=baby+bed+bumper+guard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts